Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12/11/2021 - Will they activate StormWatch in the West this weekend

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
With another atmospheric river aiming for California and the West this weekend and next week, I would not be surprised to see them turn on StormWatch this weekend.

One forecast shows over 100 inches of snow by early next week in places in the Sierras. And predicted to drop 4-6 inches in the SF Bay Area. We are hoping the creek above our house does not flood into our house.

And it looks like this series of storms will dump a lot of rain and snow all the way to the Rockies.

my vote is storm watch will not activate for majority areas due to rain storms ...
and i have never heard term atmospheric river living in CA 46 years .. but i zone out a lot when people talk 😝
See? When I zone out, it's called "taking a nap." At my age, it's what we do. "Uh-oh. Grandpa's zoning out again...."

Upvote 0
Oh man, I need to turn off Stormwatch in case it triggers the PW's to start charging during peak time...

For this reason I generally have Stormwatch disabled. When I start seeing people speculate about (or report) Stormwatch events on TMC, that's when I start thinking about enabling it at some suitable off-peak time. You guys and gals are my Stormwatch co-pilots. :cool:

Bruce.

Upvote 0
Like @getakey, my Storm Watch turned on about 3pm today. Sierra foothills east of Sacramento. I immediately turned it off until late tonight when I am off peak. Interesting I have been juggling between my normal cost savings, self powered and backup only now that the sun was out today to get myself out of the reserve hole I was in. Storm Watch will fix that early AM tomorrow.

Upvote 0
For those getting storm watch you’re probably in the winter storm and/or high wind warning regions? Those will always trigger storm watch.

Attachments

• 33C611E9-C66E-4B85-87BF-425C46CA1631.jpeg
    33C611E9-C66E-4B85-87BF-425C46CA1631.jpeg
    633.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 03C6BAD3-A088-4B82-ACBB-04D9655AF0D6.jpeg
    03C6BAD3-A088-4B82-ACBB-04D9655AF0D6.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
I don't understand how this year is the first year I've ever heard the term "atmospheric river". Like wtf... what happened to "lots of rain" or "heavy rain"? And how is it that people are all worried about losing power from heavy rains all of a sudden??? What's next, are we going to get "Omicron rain"?

PS, I'm setting my reserve to 75%.
ha ha ha. got me to laugh. I heard that "atmospheric river" phrase MANY years ago. The wife turned to me and said something like, "I guess the weatherman is trying to complete with mainstream media to come up with new terms that don't actually mean anything."' I mean they now have "Firenatoes" and other off beat terms. I doubt we will have Omicron Rain unless of course the raindrops mutate into giant droplets :)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: aesculus
Upvote 0
With another atmospheric river aiming for California and the West this weekend and next week, I would not be surprised to see them turn on StormWatch this weekend.
Yes sir, I was wondering the same thing. But Mr. J if you still live where I think you do, then you got nothing to worry about :) When I hear about these large storms, the first thing I think about is the pain in the butt I will have to get down to Fremont via the Donner Summitt.

Upvote 0