Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did the same in my 2017 S75D, and nothing happened...at all. :/

Yeah, me either.
Careful there Jimmy!

There is an entire other thread discussing how if you do too many center console reboots, that Tesla may slow down the reboot time. Some are saying a 3 minute normal reboot is now taking them 3 minutes 7 seconds! I hear only about 1% of all users are affected by this, but several law firms are starting class action lawsuits.

I recommend reading that 547 page thread before rebooting, and consulting a lawyer is probably a good idea too. PM me for nearly expert quality legal advice for $375 per billed hour. I am undefeated in arguing before the Supreme Court.

Back to your regular scheduled off topic banter...

RT

No lawyer with only a $375 / hr rate would be worth hiring. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
i can confirm you have to draw a secret symbol on the sketchpad and submit it to tesla to get the update pushed to you. The symbol only comes to you when you sacrifice three goats for your lord and savior Elon Musk while setting aside 30 minutes of prayer for him in front of a portrait that must be at least 10 feet tall.

i can confirm you have to draw a secret symbol on the sketchpad and submit it to tesla to get the update pushed to you. The symbol only comes to you when you sacrifice three goats for your lord and savior Elon Musk while setting aside 30 minutes of prayer for him in front of a portrait that must be at least 10 feet tall.
Printing portrait now. Looking for the sacrificial goat.

Just completed a 600 mile round trip. Used a LOT of Auto-steer. It has improved quite a bit. Few things I noticed.

On freeways :
- Did not experience sudden braking
- Overall smooth, still tends to make incremental turns rather than a smooth turn
- Curvy freeways with larger turns with traffic are still a bit nervous
- Lane changes worked very well for me, had no issues

On local-road, one lane highways
- Not as confused with dissapearing lane markers (one side lines missing for turns/merges etc)
- I am 100% sure its using GPS for speed limit, and hence its not that great especially because the car doesnt slow down for sharper turns that require a lower speed (big risk IMO)
- Still not rock solid in figuring out the general direction of the road when there are changes to the lane markers, extra lane shows up next to you for a turn etc, the car seems confused sometimes
- I used it a lot, but still had to be really focussed and take control more than I would have liked, but its way more usable than before, still not that safe IMHO

Overall, I had a great trip, significantly less effort for me considering I came from an Audi that didnt have any of these features, super-charging along the way worked out quite well also. I do think by summer assuming they continue to work on this, AP2 will be quite good and reliable.

I randomly got the app notification on my 100D last night, drove 80 miles today.

I logged about 18000 miles on an AP1 car before this car, drove a loaner AP2 both before and after 8.1 update, and now this update so have a good idea of where we have come from.

90mph limits as advertised, as well as auto high beam, AEB, side collision warning.

My initial impressions:

Highway auto steer much better at higher speeds. Less repetitive jerking of wheel in hard sweeping turns, but not eliminated. Approaching AP1 level smoothness but not 100% there yet. Did not get the diving brake check from overpasses like before the update, and also not getting the repetitive brake checks I would get when passing slow traffic while traveling in HOV at high speed. The changes are very noticeable.

Auto lane change MUCH better. Starts the change slowly, then turns a little harder until maneuver is almost complete, and finally tapers off how hard it is turning to a slow ease into new lane at the end. At least as good as AP1, and better for me as it will cross solid white line which is what our HOV divider is here in AZ.

Local auto steer more reminiscent of AP1 now, improved for sure. Felt like I still needed to be very mindful of the brake pedal when following closely though.

No side collision or AEB warnings yet.

Maybe this has been covered before, but those that are getting updates, does your car need to be hooked up to a charger to receive/install the update?
Here's what I observed today when I received 17.17.4
Receive... can't be 100% certain, because a 400+Mb download probably happened in part overnight in my case. I received the notice at 4pm it was ready.
But install, no -- charger isn't necessarily needed. My upgrade earlier today was done w/o a power connection. Took about 40 min.
It does seem reasonable the car requires some minimum charge. Maybe other posters know what that could be.

Just took my first drive on 17.17.4 and noticed that it's less likely to pick up the kerb side lane line than before. In previous releases the car picked up the line without needing a proper painted line, a kerb was enough. It now behaves more like AP1 in that regard.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Yes. It does still create a lane using a curb but last version was much better with this.

I just don't get it...Really, I do not understand how these updates work. I guess I'm to use to how Apple updates their phones. I'm still on 17.11.45. Car has been connected to my home wi-fi ever since this started pushing out (all day/all night) since I'm out of town away on business, and yes it's the only thing on my guess network. When 17.11.45 came out, I got it on the 2nd day, but now nothing.....SMH.

I just don't get it...Really, I do not understand how these updates work. I guess I'm to use to how Apple updates their phones. I'm still on 17.11.45. Car has been connected to my home wi-fi ever since this started pushing out (all day/all night) since I'm out of town away on business, and yes it's the only thing on my guess network. When 17.11.45 came out, I got it on the 2nd day, but now nothing.....SMH.
Maybe they reversed the order to be fair. Anyway, you're not alone. Hang in there.

Maybe they reversed the order to be fair. Anyway, you're not alone. Hang in there.

The usual is that those with the oldest firmware are given updates first and then down the list. Its also random and in tranches so no one really knows. I do wish Tesla handled updates a bit more transparently since it does affect a lot when the updates change so much. I, for one, was really glad to have gotten 17.11.3 before a big Easter road trip. AS at 55mph was useless and AS at 80mph was critical to making that a "Tesla" road trip.

Reactions: Swift
I guess I'm to use to how Apple updates their phones

There are important differences:

By the time Apple and its peers roll out new software to the public, it's been through a hierarchy of internal and external field testing. Tesla doesn't do external betas. (They do unilaterally label some flaky features "beta", but that's not what beta testing actually means.)

A major error by Apple can embarrass the company. A major error by Tesla could kill people. There's every reason to do a slow rollout. The early recipients aren't necessarily the lucky ones.

If Tesla really wanted fast rollout they could assemble a mesh network using all their vehicles, and use BitTorrent technology to do a P2P file share. The whole fleet would have it in a few minutes.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Just took my first drive on 17.17.4 and noticed that it's less likely to pick up the kerb side lane line than before. In previous releases the car picked up the line without needing a proper painted line, a kerb was enough. It now behaves more like AP1 in that regard.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Same observation here. In subdivision road, old firmware pickup line/curb and enables auto-steer much more often than the 17.17.4 release.

I have been on 17.4 since Monday mid day. On my 100 mile r/t daily commute I have found that the upgrade still puts AP2 about an update or two behind where AP1 was on my drive. AP1 had a tremendously hard time on a slight hill and got better with later updates before I sold that car in March. I was hopeful that the additional camera AP2 is using would help this but yhis release on side roads handles that hill the way AP1 did a couple of firmware's ago, get squirrelly and can't decide what to do.

On the majority of my commute in the HOV/PEV lane 17.4 / AP2 still does not hold the lane as true as the latest version of AP1 did. A little wonky still and I even turn it off when people are veering away from me because they aren't sure where I am going. LOL (that includes me every once in a while so I will take back steering control :) ) All in all it is showing great progress and I am looking forward to more.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888