Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.22.46 - Perpendicular parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

To be fair, that test is almost entirely on single lane country roads or roads with gaps/breaks in the lane marker. We saw a smooth braking to a stopped car, and the corner tracking seems to be without the piecewise jerking motion.

We need to see more tests. But there's nothing earth shattering about lane recognition or handling local road conditions, that much is clear. But still, in terms of freeway performance, I'm far more annoyed right now at AP2's jerky curve steering and flat out losing track of sharper curves. There's very little data in the video with regards to how much this changed in the new update.

To be fair, that test is almost entirely on single lane country roads or roads with gaps/breaks in the lane marker. We saw a smooth braking to a stopped car, and the corner tracking seems to be without the piecewise jerking motion.

We need to see more tests. But there's nothing earth shattering about lane recognition or handling local road conditions, that much is clear. But still, in terms of freeway performance, I'm far more annoyed right now at AP2's jerky curve steering and flat out losing track of sharper curves. There's very little data in the video with regards to how much this changed in the new update.

Can't disagree. I look forward to getting the update and also hearing from others but that video that was shown back in Oct of full auto is what's throwing off expectations. What we've received since then is not even close.

Can't disagree. I look forward to getting the update and also hearing from others but that video that was shown back in Oct of full auto is what's throwing off expectations. What we've received since then is not even close.

Yeah, totally agreed. And also, at this point I don't believe there will be a miracle overnight update that fixes everything with AP2 and gets us that FSD dream. I think the rest of the rollout will basically be like this — every month and a half, an update will be out with some enhancements to existing functionality and a new feature or two.

(With regards to smoothness, I've tried and failed to make a bunch of videos to demonstrate the jerky steering with the 17.17.x updates. It's really hard to show it in a video. It's one of those things where you just have to be in the car to understand what it feels like. So I think we'll likely have to wait until next weekend to tell if it really did improve or not.)

Agree, that video on Vimeo was without any bends at all! Hard to say if it keeps in the lane in bends...

@chillaban, One could try to film the passengers being thrown back and forth though, at a twisting highway where speeds make everything more uncomfortable?

LOL, the car jerks a bit, it's not an earthquake simulator! I think one can probably use an accelerometer and measure lateral movements but we don't even have a baseline there. And I know we're all fat and obese in this country, but most humans have enough core strength to stabilize themselves even with jerky Autosteer.

Reactions: croman
We'll see soon enough whether this is more Elon hype or whether Tesla has actually addressed the rough autosteer turning at highway speed and whether they addressed the vision issue with halting late braking. I think it's the latter and the former might've been improved just because they have even more data and time working on refining.

Reactions: chillaban
What, no blowup dolls to put in the passenger seat? Come on, you know someone here has to have one for, ah, HOV cheating I'm sure.

Or, something like a bungee cord from roof to console maybe, not too taut, weighted in the middle with something that would move during the jerky movement in road curves. Tennis ball perhaps?

Did some more testing with 17.22.46. Aka commuting...

Very good in stop and go traffic. Smooth, good distance, not much delay after the leading car starts again. Works very well.

I re-attempted approaching a car stopped at a light that was not previously tracked. The car did very well, slowing down from 100kmh smoothly. Much better than my first test of a similar scenario where I had to take over and break.

Sorry no videos. I don't have a fancy setup and it's illegal to hold my phone while driving.

:D:D
So that's how they get into those tight spaces between two parked cars... Push one out of the way :D
One unfortunate thing about AutoPark and every similar system is that the kinds of people that benefit the most from such a feature are also the kinds of people who cannot do a good job of supervising AutoPark. If you aren't sure whether you're close to the curb or be car in front, you can't do a good job of stopping the car if it's going to scrape something. But if you are good with that, you can probably park your car faster yourself....

I wish there would be a Summon+AutoPark equivalent where you can get out of the car to supervise. I definitely agree with the Summon premise that human drivers do a better job of watching for parking collisions from outside the car than in the driver's seat. Especially in a Model S.

Reactions: oktane and Swift
So if I understand these tweets correctly, the current 17.22.46 FW will be superseded next weekend by a newer version, which will go wide (i.e to all of us). This is expected to feature additional improvements to speed/acceleration/breaking (i.e longitudinal control) over 17.22.46 and also the fabled new kernel, which was: " ... was way harder than anticipated. Giant improvement, but meant way more OS overhead tuning to keep screen frame rate good" (@elonmusk 13th June)

Maybe we get actual smooth scrolling now?!

Update on my testing of 17.22.46.

I think it may be reading speed limit signs. Not sure. I have two data points and both were successful where the speed limit changed while going down a road. Precisely as I passed the sign, the white speed limit icon updated. I will continue to watch this to confirm.

I did have one interesting case where stopped at a red light, with autosteer on, the car in front of me started pulling away for the green light and my car just sat there. I had to disengage and push the accelerator myself.

I am getting more comfortable with the scenario where the car approaches stopped cars sitting at a light that it had not previously tracked. Seems to work fairly reliably now, but I will continue to monitor it closely. Not always the smoothest thing ever - a little bit of fits and starts. It feels like as soon as it detects that stopped car it over-applies the brakes, then lets up as it sees that we'll be ok and not rear end it.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Update on my testing of 17.22.46.

I think it may be reading speed limit signs. Not sure. I have two data points and both were successful where the speed limit changed while going down a road. Precisely as I passed the sign, the white speed limit icon updated. I will continue to watch this to confirm.

I did have one interesting case where stopped at a red light, with autosteer on, the car in front of me started pulling away for the green light and my car just sat there. I had to disengage and push the accelerator myself.

I am getting more comfortable with the scenario where the car approaches stopped cars sitting at a light that it had not previously tracked. Seems to work fairly reliably now, but I will continue to monitor it closely. Not always the smoothest thing ever - a little bit of fits and starts. It feels like as soon as it detects that stopped car it over-applies the brakes, then lets up as it sees that we'll be ok and not rear end it.

According to electrek, it's not reading signs yet...