Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.22.46 - Perpendicular parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"longitudinal control" ? can he make it more simple for us mortals to understand.

me thinks, Longitude here means, control in the direction of the car (which is TACC) and Latitude would be sideways control which is steering control or lane control? or it could be vice-versa

Elon just tweeted, new kernel update release next weekend as well
What changes can be expected with a kernel update?

Likely nothing noticeable. Perhaps a slight performance improvement in the responsiveness of the main screen and controls. The kernel has little role in providing actual end-user features, like AP, or auto parking, or navigation, or anything else. The features we're interested in are mainly implemented in "user space" - code that Tesla writes independent of the Linux kernel.

• Informative
Reactions: jnuyens and croman
Elon just tweeted, new kernel update release next weekend as well
What changes can be expected with a kernel update?

2 different things:
First the rumors and tweets about it; they seemed to indicate a better and smoother UI and web browser.

My experience with Linux kernels:
- If there was a problem with 3D and 2D hardware acceleration in the past, device driver improvements can make a big difference with scrolling lag and latency. But otherwise tweaks should have minimal effects
- A better web browsing experience seems unrelated with the linux kernel to me, but maybe the entire root filesystem is included with what Tesla calls 'kernel'?
- Functionality like WiFi Hotspot mode provided by Tesla is possible by a kernel upgrade or just some tuneable parameters and hostapd, but it seemed Tesla needs to figure out how to bill that first.
- If the kernel was previously not optimal with respect to the 'preemption model' it can feel more direct.
- But if the kernel was already properly configured and there where no problems with it device driver wise in the past, then one could argue that it shouldn't make too much of a difference which exact kernel release is running on it
- Spotify will probably still buffer underrun and google maps will still not always load
- It could include NTFS and EXFAT support meaning that not only VFAT formatted usb sticks work for playing music

BUT:
- I didn't look at the kernel currently running and possible optimisations
- In theory Android compatibility could be added somehow - I'm sure many would like Waze. But I consider it unlikely.
- The entire source code is available, so in theory anything is possible, even rockets which land vertically ;-)

maybe the entire root filesystem is included with what Tesla calls 'kernel'?
they have Android-like kernel+initramfs image, even the magic is the same (Well, it's nvidia after ll so comes from those tools I guess).
But all the actual user-visible tools are on a different partition. QtWebKit version is same as in 17.17.4, so I bet no changes to the web browser despite the hidden entry in the changelog indicating otherwise (that's why it's hidden I guess).

The entire source code is available
No, it's not. Tesla continues to blatantly violate GPL despite numerous requests to provide the source.

• Informative
Reactions: KyleDay and croman
So regarding improvements in longitudinal control. I guess it depends on the situation. I'm on 17.22.46. TACC seems very smooth. However I tried with it approaching a car in front stopped at a light that it had not previously tracked. It was definitely not smooth. It seemed to slow down too slowly and then very rapidly hit the breaks, then let up. I had to apply the breaks myself.

I think by parking near a service center will get new updates quicker works again. 17.17.17 came out for two weeks and I didn't get it. I went to the service center last week for some repairs. I parked at the service center to wait for it to open at 7am. and I got 17.17.17 on LTE.
Did you have an appointment? It's likely that there was a service order open on your car. It's the combo of geofence + SO that triggers it now.

The kernel was updated since at least 17.18.50 and possibly longer. 17.22.46 is 4.4.35
There's zero user-visible stuff just from the new kernel (other than some new crashes? ;) )

Since we know they use Qt Webkit for the browser, do we have any indication if the user experience would improve if they upgrade the version of Qt Webkit? Or is the consensus that they'll use a different browser engine?

Since we know they use Qt Webkit for the browser, do we have any indication if the user experience would improve if they upgrade the version of Qt Webkit? Or is the consensus that they'll use a different browser engine?
They use QtWebKit 4.9.2 - this is 2012 vintage code, so ~5 years old. Remember how your webbrowser used to look like in 2012? ;)
I imagine if they jump to anything more modern, it's going to be a significant leap, no matter if they stay on QtWebKit or switch to something else (probably less likely).
Kernel 4.4 was released in Jan 2016, so hopefully the browser update is a jump of at least this big too.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g