Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.22.46 - Perpendicular parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to electrek, it's not reading signs yet...

Its just coincidence I believe. I have 17.17.17 and its changing the speeds differently than 17.17.4 but its not reading signs (or not doing it well enough to say for certain). I believe if Tesla achieves anything, they are usually the first to leak it to Electrek. Why they can't communicate with their customers directly is beyond me.

@rpm001 -- that waiting at the light is a HOLD which is present whenever ultrasonics detect an object while stopped. It will make you press the accelerator before it will resume TACC/AS. It has been present in the very early builds of AP on.

Can you elaborate? I'm not following, sorry. It has started up again without me having to press the accelerator every other time. Just not this once. (I've only had the car 3 days) What are the parameters that trigger this hold?

Can you elaborate? I'm not following, sorry. It has started up again without me having to press the accelerator every other time. Just not this once. (I've only had the car 3 days) What are the parameters that trigger this hold?

There's a few conditions that trigger HOLD braking. One is if the parking sensors read approximately "orange" or closer, at any point in time while stopped. This is possible if you are stopped a little too close to the curb, or if you live in California and there's 7 foot tall weeds growing out of the cement cracks that occasionally triggers the parking sensors.

The other condition is if a pedestrian (recognized by the camera) walks in front of your car.

Both of these will put the word "HOLD" in blue on top of your speed and that indicates TACC/AP won't auto-accelerate when the car in front of you moves. You can pull the cruise control lever towards you to attempt to clear it, but if it's because of something the parking sensors is actively reading, the HOLD message will come right back.

They use QtWebKit 4.9.2 - this is 2012 vintage code, so ~5 years old. Remember how your webbrowser used to look like in 2012? ;)
I imagine if they jump to anything more modern, it's going to be a significant leap, no matter if they stay on QtWebKit or switch to something else (probably less likely).
Kernel 4.4 was released in Jan 2016, so hopefully the browser update is a jump of at least this big too.

It possible Tesla stalling QtWebKit update because of the license issues. I used older WebKit and tried to upgrade to 5.x and after license review our legal told us that some of the licenses are not open sourced or we would need to open source our code in order to comply, something like that.

It possible Tesla stalling QtWebKit update because of the license issues. I used older WebKit and tried to upgrade to 5.x and after license review our legal told us that some of the licenses are not open sourced or we would need to open source our code in order to comply, something like that.
That does not seem to concern Tesla a tiny bit. They still did not release all the other GPLed components either.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and BigD0g
Just wanted to share my experience.

My HW2 P100D is currently in service (has been since Thursday). I received the notification on my phone that an update is available, but it has not automatically updated. I spoke to a service representative today and he said that he looked at the display and tapped on the alarm clock and confirmed that the update is scheduled for this morning at 2:45am (is this a default time?). I hope when I pick it up tomorrow I will have FW 17.22.46. I currently have 17.17.17.

I don't think there was anything special about being at the service center (I had an open work order, had an appointment, and the car has even been supercharged there). I don't think anything special, because the loaner that I have (HW2 100D) also indicated an update was available and I scheduled the update (last Saturday night). And I didn't connect the loaner to my WiFi, nor have I charged it. So the loaner, in my garage has updated more recently than my car at the service center.

It would be nice if Tesla provided a bit more transparency on this topic.

I really haven't noticed a difference in auto-steer in 17.22.46. And I don't think I've ever seen an indication that auto-park (parallel or perpendicular) is ready to engage. I must not be doing something right and need to do a bit more research to figure out how the auto-park capability gets triggered as available. I've gone well passed open parallel and perpendicular parking spaces at 7mph without the "P" showing up on the drivers display.

Just wanted to share my experience.

My HW2 P100D is currently in service (has been since Thursday). I received the notification on my phone that an update is available, but it has not automatically updated. I spoke to a service representative today and he said that he looked at the display and tapped on the alarm clock and confirmed that the update is scheduled for this morning at 2:45am (is this a default time?). I hope when I pick it up tomorrow I will have FW 17.22.46. I currently have 17.17.17.

And I don't think I've ever seen an indication that auto-park (parallel or perpendicular) is ready to engage. I've gone well passed open parallel and perpendicular parking spaces at 7mph without the "P" showing up on the driver's display.

If your car goes in for service, a work order is created and this is what triggers a software update. We used to be able to drive to a SC and connect to their WiFi (Geofence area) and this would trigger an update but Tesla does not allow it now.

The service person could have pushed the "Due the update now button" and it would have immediately started the update. Tesla's do not automatically do software updates. You have to either select "schedule the update at a later time" or "do the update now".

Auto-park is hit and miss. The sensors/software look for cars that are X feet apart. If they are too close to each other you will never get the "P" on your display and will not be able to trigger the auto-park feature. There are videos on TMC that shows it took 2-3 tries to get autopart to work. Be prepared for the car to back into the parking space quicker than you would.

Except when your SC is slacking and does not put a work order or there's some other mechanism in play, but my car has been in service since last Wednesday and did not get the update yet.

From personal experience, I suspect there’s another mechanism at play. I took my Tesla in for a due bill a month back. They opened the work order at 9AM, and at around 3PM I got a push notification that an update is available (the car had been sitting at the same spot for most of the day so I doubt it’s network connectivity).

At 4PM, they called me to tell me that my car is ready. I doubt checked the list of things done and found out they forgot to do one item. They said it’ll take an extra day. Next morning, I got yet another push notification that I have an update.

It seems like there’s something that they do to trigger the car to get updates, and that’s separate from dropping off the car and having the work order printed up. Perhaps when a tech is actively working on the car or closing out the work ticket, that’s when the trigger actually happens?

• Love
Reactions: croman
That's possible too. my previous experience was even stranger. midway through the (3-weeks-long!) service I got a notification for update, then a few days later - another one.
When the car was returned - the notification was not showing, but the update was not installed either. I asked them about "hey, where's my update" and they told me that "well, we triggered it, but it still needs to download and install" even though I can see it was already sitting all ready, except no notification for whatever reason.
Mysterious update mechanisms ;)

• Funny
Reactions: chillaban
This firmware isn't currently really being rolled out. Its only been given to a limited set of folks through service centers or because new cars have this firmware. I'm sure once it rolls out beyond these few owners we'll have more feedback. The few that have them might not post on TMC (though a few have and it sounds better but still not AP1 parity).

it sounds better but still not AP1 parity).
This is exactly right. I have 17.22.46 on my loaner and agree.

I was on 17.17.4 for several weeks and got 17.22.46 last Saturday. I assumed I had received 17.17.17 but I was surprised to see 17.22.46. Thus you can get it without going to a SC or having a new vehicle (and normally I get updates late, as I only have wifi in my Long Island house).

Based on a few days of driving, hard to say how it compares on local roads--maybe marginally better.
I found it significantly smoother on turns in highway driving. No chopped turns. Also I like better highway lane changing--it seems to have a more aggressive speedup and lane change feels more like what I would do.

One weird thing: in maybe 20 miles of driving on the HOV lane of the LIE (a local divided highway), it tried to drive me into the concrete divider to my left on 3 different occasions, as if it didn't see the end of lane on the left side. Very strange and something I never recall happening with 17.17.4. At least it tried to do that in a silky smooth way--no abrupt steering.

A question for any locals: I thought the max speed for TACC and AP is 90mph, but I have never been able to set either above 80mph. Is this a restriction on the LIE? I have an inventory MX, but it is not restricted on how fast I can drive it.

Another update on 17.22.46... A few times while using autosteer, when slowing coming to a full stop in heavy traffic I could hear and feel what sounded like the anti-lock brakes activating. That fast thud-ing sound in the front. The road was totally dry and clean, deceleration was slow, not dangerously close to the car in front or anything like that. But maybe around 10kmh I heard this sound. Happened 3 times on my commute this morning. Very strange.

My overall summary so far is that autosteer still very much requires attention and focus on the road. Especially in more risky situations like cars around you that could potentially cut in front, anywhere near intersections, and with non-standard road markings (like weird lane changes).