Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.22.46 - Perpendicular parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another update on 17.22.46... A few times while using autosteer, when slowing coming to a full stop in heavy traffic I could hear and feel what sounded like the anti-lock brakes activating. That fast thud-ing sound in the front. The road was totally dry and clean, deceleration was slow, not dangerously close to the car in front or anything like that. But maybe around 10kmh I heard this sound. Happened 3 times on my commute this morning. Very strange.

My overall summary so far is that autosteer still very much requires attention and focus on the road. Especially in more risky situations like cars around you that could potentially cut in front, anywhere near intersections, and with non-standard road markings (like weird lane changes).

Good to hear that the turn holding is more stable on the new firmware. This is the Biggest drawback I had compared to AP1. Long sweeping curves caused center lane seeking and jerky lateral movement through curves.

Looking forward to the update on our S90D refresh.

The sound you may be hearing is the break pedal actually engaging from inside the cabin.

While in for service yesterday, 17.22.46 was also installed. My MS has AP1. Reading this thread, I would have thought that this release was for AP2 cars but apparently not. However when I look at the notes for this release on the car's screen, there is only a two line statement about bug fixes and some updates. No mention of specifics such as lane centering or parking. However, my MS has been able to perpendicular park for about a year now. It is finiky about the approach but it does work about 50% of the time.

Regarding an earlier post about problems on sweeping curves on I5 between Mt Shasta City and Dunsmeer, we have experienced sudden slowing and lane hunting. A couple of those curves dip slightly on the lead in and come close to be reverse camber which is where I think AP has trouble reading the road.

If your car goes in for service, a work order is created and this is what triggers a software update. We used to be able to drive to a SC and connect to their WiFi (Geofence area) and this would trigger an update but Tesla does not allow it now.

The service person could have pushed the "Due the update now button" and it would have immediately started the update. Tesla's do not automatically do software updates. You have to either select "schedule the update at a later time" or "do the update now".

Auto-park is hit and miss. The sensors/software look for cars that are X feet apart. If they are too close to each other you will never get the "P" on your display and will not be able to trigger the auto-park feature. There are videos on TMC that shows it took 2-3 tries to get autopart to work. Be prepared for the car to back into the parking space quicker than you would.

I'm going to schedule another SC appointment this week. The front passenger door doesn't close with a soft push. You really have to slam the door for it to close. A soft push will leave the door half-closed (the side-view mirrors never rotate inward).

I'll let you know the work order triggers the other update that has been seen in the wild (17.24.something?).

The only time I've ever seen the "P" for auto-park is when I'm in stop and go traffic on the freeway. Wish there was a way to trigger the auto-park more easily.

The service person could have pushed the "Due the update now button" and it would have immediately started the update. Tesla's do not automatically do software updates. You have to either select "schedule the update at a later time" or "do the update now".

I just received my MS back from service. And the firmware was updated (I received the notification on my phone last night). I think service intentionally "pushed" the update, because I actually had the car in for two issues 1) passenger front door not closing properly and 2) had an emergency alert when there were no cars around me.

For the second issue, the front radar sensor was recalibrated and the forward facing camera was calibrated. So I would think that service would look for any newer firmware and push it if there is a service request around the AP sensors.

I was also taught that if you say "Report" after pressing the voice button on the steering wheel, the car will store diagnostic information that can be retrieved by the service technician.

My firmware is now at 17.24.30. I haven't noticed any significant changed from 17.22.45. I will post again if I notice anything meaningful.