Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17.24.28 released

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird that some with 17.24.28 are reporting great results and others reporting the opposite. We should make sure we report whether we have AP1 or AP2 hardware. From the looks of things, people with AP1 hardware are generally reporting good results, so it may be that AP2 hardware still needs some work.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Weird that some with 17.24.28 are reporting great results and others reporting the opposite. We should make sure we report whether we have AP1 or AP2 hardware. From the looks of things, people with AP1 hardware are generally reporting good results, so it may be that AP2 hardware still needs some work.
I'm fairly certain AP2 owners who have reported awesomeness with .28 are being motivated by other concerns or simply have poor judgment.

This .30 hotfix is pretty clear evidence that .28 was a mess/mistake for AP2. And for what it's worth, I spoke with service yesterday and was told that they had received a lot of negative feedback on .28 from AP2 owners who got it at service appointments.

I'm fairly certain AP2 owners who have reported awesomeness with .28 are being motivated by other concerns or simply have poor judgment.

This .30 hotfix is pretty clear evidence that .28 was a mess/mistake for AP2. And for what it's worth, I spoke with service yesterday and was told that they had received a lot of negative feedback on .28 from AP2 owners who got it at service appointments.
It's strange then that I got 17.24.30 pushed out to me today (on AP1 hardware). I hope they haven't rolled back some of the improvements, because I really liked the .28 update.

I haven't had an update pushed out to me in 2+ months, and now I've gotten 2 in less than a week.

It's strange then that I got 17.24.30 pushed out to me today (on AP1 hardware). I hope they haven't rolled back some of the improvements, because I really liked the .28 update.

I haven't had an update pushed out to me in 2+ months, and now I've gotten 2 in less than a week.

you will like it don't worry. check out my video on my post. the only thing i haven't had a chance to try yet is Highway and auto lane change at various speeds.

Reactions: vandacca

Yeah, it's interesting that it's going to AP1 right away, too -- given the positive reports on .28.

Weird that some with 17.24.28 are reporting great results and others reporting the opposite.

Because some people will report positive results no matter what, they'll take random behavior from AP they experience over 1 or a few drivers and bill it as an "improvement". This has been going on since the beginning of AP. This is also why, in general, one negative report is worth 1000 positive ones.

Because some people will report positive results no matter what, they'll take random behavior from AP they experience over 1 or a few drivers and bill it as an "improvement". This has been going on since the beginning of AP. This is also why, in general, one negative report is worth 1000 positive ones.

I feel like negative reports are the same way.

Reactions: DaddyP713

Or maybe cars are different!
I use AP 2 (17.17.17) all the time on the interstate. On my 60-120 miles (one direction) I don't have to disable AP once!
I use lane change a lot, it steers to the opposite side of my lane if a car is in the lane next to me, it brakes smooth and on time.
I don't use it on local roads though, because that's not the environment it should be used (yet)...

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
.28 on AP2 is great for stopping / going and lane changing and staying within the lines "mostly". However with .28 they switched from Garmin to Tom Tom for the map database, they have a geofencing issue with tom tom / tesla thinking the car is sometimes on adjacent roads, so your flying on a highway doing 72 and the local road is 40, it will spring up an alert saying speed limit restricted to 45 mph and begin full regen braking to slow the car down to 45. This happened to me today on my way to work after recieving .28 this morning. Spoke to the SC and the local ranger and they confirmed it's a software issue, but no ETA on a fix.

I have a AP2 car with 17.24.28, and its not working well.
Very problematic are the sudden breaks (much more the 17.17.17) for nothing and the alerts when it seems to not know what to do.

Its limited to the speed limit almost everywhere which makes it difficult to even use autopilot
- It break suddenly when you go over a speed limit line (80km/h to 50km/h for example) this is much to abrupt.
- It breaks driving on a new road where it thinks you are not on the highway anymore
- Most people do not drive the exact speed limit so I am not able to use autopilot as I am holding up faster going traffic (this would be solved if you could go a little above the speed limit but to have it exactly does not work)
Overall this makes using autopilot more a hassle then a handy feature..

When I even compare to the AP1 car I had last week with the 7.1 software still on there the AP2 is still behind.
AP1 give so much more confidence and is much more relaxing to drive because of its REAL silk, smooth and confident behavior.

In highway driving i did notice a slight improvement over 17.17.17 with curves that or not to sharp

Hope they get a new update soon to make a step forward instead of backward!

Same experience here, in some places I see improvements, it appears to be less 'wobbly' within the lanes in HW driving, but it hugs the left lane too much to be honest.

Sudden braking is bad, I find it very nerve wracking frankly.

Higher speed approaches (40-45 MPH) toward stopped cars seems to break very hard earlier then rolls up to the stop, very disturbing.

I see 17.24.28 as a pretty significant step back.

The .30 is most likely to address two major glitches I heard about in the MX AP2 implementation I would guess. I will see today when I get out to the car (.30 just finished). After the .28 update I would randomly get "Air Suspension issues please take care to a service center" warnings.

Same experience here, in some places I see improvements, it appears to be less 'wobbly' within the lanes in HW driving, but it hugs the left lane too much to be honest.

Sudden braking is bad, I find it very nerve wracking frankly.

Higher speed approaches (40-45 MPH) toward stopped cars seems to break very hard earlier then rolls up to the stop, very disturbing.

I see 17.24.28 as a pretty significant step back.
FWIW, that behavior approaching stopped cars was also in AP1 for the first few months it was out. Sometimes it would even trigger the collision warning! After about 6 months or so they fixed it and now it works pretty well in AP1.

FWIW, that behavior approaching stopped cars was also in AP1 for the first few months it was out. Sometimes it would even trigger the collision warning! After about 6 months or so they fixed it and now it works pretty well in AP1.

That is good to hear, I was content with 17.17.17 (the version that .28 replaced) and I liked the deceleration rate as well as the distance it started to slow , but 17.24.28 the stop/go really degraded in my opinion. I see one other above who thinks it is good... I am wondering if there are some car to car variations and calibrations at play that may be interacting differently with the algorithms that results in drastically different behavior. I am apprehensive of approaching stopped cars now, not that I am worried about hitting them but the sudden braking I worry about the car behind me rear ending me.

Well, this is just wrong. Someone has a negative experience, it's basically just a matter of time before you do to. It's all about probabilities, and humans are REALLY REALLY terrible at probabilities until they start applying hard math to it.

I dunno, I've seen quite some negative-but-not-new reports blamed on a recent update too. People blamed the 90mph penalty box change on a 17.xx.xx build even though it's been there since 8.0's launch. People blame one off truck-lust incidents on recent updates when there likely weren't any AP-related changes.

When updates come out, people are hyper sensitive to looking for changes, and can imagine things in either direction. It more speaks to the nature of one's personality whether you're more inclined to imagine positive improvements or negative regressions.

I work on software with a mass public deployment rate and it's kind of funny looking at what people on forums think is different. Once we literally just replaced a certificate and it caused several customers to voluntarily close out several customers' performance and crash bugs.

I dunno, I've seen quite some negative-but-not-new reports blamed on a recent update too. People blamed the 90mph penalty box change on a 17.xx.xx build even though it's been there since 8.0's launch. People blame one off truck-lust incidents on recent updates when there likely weren't any AP-related changes.
These things still suck, regardless of the FW version. So they are valid reports. A new negative report just confirms it WAS NOT fixed.

When updates come out, people are hyper sensitive to looking for changes, and can imagine things in either direction. It more speaks to the nature of one's personality whether you're more inclined to imagine positive improvements or negative regressions.
Getting used to a bug doesn't make it go away.

What would be nice is for Tesla to implement a roll-back feature, just like Microsoft does for windows. When Microsoft bungles an update that borks your system you can do a simple system roll-back and get back to where you were before the update. Tesla should do the same, have a roll back option to 'skip over' the most recent FW update just in case it does something not good. :) I would love to simply click a button on the screen to roll back to 17.17.17 and skip over the 17.24.XX update.