Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you tried on stop and go traffic ? I am on .28 and this was a big step backward. It aggressively stops and starts, moves around the lane, tries to move over to another lane. Previously stop and go was rock solid since AP2 was launched
My experience with .28 and .30 were very positive. My commute is 60 miles with stop and go traffic one way. I have driven almost a thousand miles. Never had any problem. Rock solid and very smooth. Stay on the lane all the time.

Also, it seems to me that AP performance continues to improve. First day after fw update is always the worst. Then 50 miles later. Everything back to normal

Reactions: ahkahn
First time poster! Got the 17.26.76 update today at 1pm Los Angeles time on wifi. Took about 25 mins to install.

AP2 is far worse than when I had 17.17.17. Now it's weaving back and fourth in the lane. It made a very sudden sharp turn at 70mph to try go onto the 90 from the 405 freeway. Was NOT happy with that. Activated an auto lane change and it very aggressively dove into the other lane, faster that it ever previously did it. It also did a sudden "jerk" slow down when it thought a car in the next lane was nearby.

This update is horrible for me so far and I wish I could go back to 17.17.17. I'm genuinely untrusting of using autosteer now.

I just went from 17.17.4 to 17.26.76

To me AP 2.0 driving seems similar. I think stop go actually seems more jerky.

The one positive is auto high beam turns on our long dark street with no lane markings.

Either maps are better or it's reading speed limit signs. Seems to pick up the speed limits better.

Happy to finally get an update. Not silky smooth yet.

With Tesla it's often 1 step forward and two steps back. Hard to imagine what would make auto-steering worse, perhaps it will take time to calibrate. Recently, even my non .76 firmware seems much more jerky than usual. Is it possible that Tesla has remote parameters it sends to alter the behavior of firmware without changing the firmware? (Thinks like sensitivity, turn rates, etc.)

Wasn't having as much of the see-sawing about 1 week prior to today on the non-76 firmware.

I got 17.26.76 yesterday. Although my car has trouble maintaining a good wifi connection with the unit in the garage it has wifi available to it. Not sure if that's why I already got it.

Anyway, I had the opportunity to drive it with AP2 on an S60D to a relatives house about 40 min of highway driving away. Lane changing is definitely different and more aggressive. I don't mind it. I think the goal may have been to have the car complete the lane transition before the environment changes much. Previously when I tried this it sometimes would get 'lost' mid lane change especially if the environment changed at all. We have some curvy highways in my area and turns that I felt the car ping-pong or struggle with before felt smooth at ~75 mph yesterday. I did end up overriding it on several spots on a curvy 50mph one lane road. Overall it just had a lot of trouble in this area but I can try more city driving to test.

My experience with .28 and .30 were very positive. My commute is 60 miles with stop and go traffic one way. I have driven almost a thousand miles. Never had any problem. Rock solid and very smooth. Stay on the lane all the time.

Also, it seems to me that AP performance continues to improve. First day after fw update is always the worst. Then 50 miles later. Everything back to normal

I like this post Doctt. I think I feel the same as you. I just got .76 yesterday and drove a litte las tnight (unsure if it was better), and about 50 miles so far this morning (impressed). Once clear improvement for me. On I-85 south in Atlanta, at exit 91, there is a long sweeping right hand turn where my AP2 car always ping-ponged the lines. This morning, in that same curve at 75 MPH, it was flawless, and I would use the term Silky for that curve at least. Every day in that curve for the past four months, I have pinged and ponged - but not today!!

I suspect .76 really is an improvement based on this one curve alone, and agree that AP performance is going to continue to improve. Maybe sometimes in small steps, or questionable value, but generally improved.

I had 17.24.30 from a SC visit. Got a notice of upgrade available last night, but was already in bed, so didn't click install until I got to work this morning. This is the first time I've had an update OTA/wifi as all previous updates have been pushed while at the SC. I'm expecting this is 17.26.76 as that seems to be what most people are getting yesterday/today for AP2 cars. The reviews look more positive than negative overall! Will report back soon with feedback.

Edit: It is in fact 17.26.76 as I just looked it up on my phone app.

I also got to download 17.26.76. Was not expecting it.

Of course, I downloaded it, and of course, there's nothing there.

Typical Tesla, teasing me with new firmware the vast majority of which does absolutely nothing that I can tell for my ancient 2013-era Model S jalopy.
Same here. Only difference is that I am not getting it for my 2017 AP2 Model S. Defies logic.

With Tesla it's often 1 step forward and two steps back

Are you sure there was 1 step forward at any time in the past? You might want to rethink that 'forward' observation. You are getting to be an unabashed fanboy now. Or did you mean to say, 'Tesla often takes 1 step backward, followed by another 2 steps backward' ?

:)

I just think that they got ahead of themselves too fast and as a consequence, they are having a hard time to catch up.

Where is the smooth as silk AP2.0 EM tweeted 6 weeks ago? Now because they announced it in May, now they have to catch up themselves.

I just think that they got ahead of themselves too fast and as a consequence, they are having a hard time to catch up.

Where is the smooth as silk AP2.0 EM tweeted 6 weeks ago? Now because they announced it in May, now they have to catch up themselves.

17.24.X(and now this update) was clearly what he was referring to. It may have caused some other issues, but it makes full-speed autosteering "smooth as silk", particularly on curves, where prior versions tended to turn in small jerking motions.

I hate the small jerking turns. I am looking forward to non 8-bit curves. Still no update but I see its still rolling out...

Same boat, on both counts. In terms of the AP2 usage I care the most about (long distance freeway driving), the silly 8 bit curves is my chief complaint other than starting to brake too late when approaching extremely slow traffic. Really excited for both improvements.

Still on 17.17.4, been on wifi, waiting to get the update. This at least looks like a real rollout unlike the previous releases, so I remain hopeful :)

Reactions: croman
I got the update, and on typical curves on the freeway it is much smoother. But on city roads, it bounces back and forth in the lane much more. Also acceleration and braking when following a car in stop and go traffic is much worse. It is way too sudden, and not smooth at all. So I guess I had to trade smooth braking and acceleration for smooth steering :confused:

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno and DJ 240V
My experience as well. Things seem to be really improving in town for the last couple of releases but this one is a step back. Hwy is fine - I also noticed much quicker auto lane change.

Yeah auto lane change was much quicker for me too. Scared me at first since it was so much faster than before, but once I got used to it, I think it is much better.

With Tesla it's often 1 step forward and two steps back. Hard to imagine what would make auto-steering worse, perhaps it will take time to calibrate. Recently, even my non .76 firmware seems much more jerky than usual. Is it possible that Tesla has remote parameters it sends to alter the behavior of firmware without changing the firmware? (Thinks like sensitivity, turn rates, etc.)

Wasn't having as much of the see-sawing about 1 week prior to today on the non-76 firmware.
When are you going to show us some video?

I got the update, and on typical curves on the freeway it is much smoother. But on city roads, it bounces back and forth in the lane much more. Also acceleration and braking when following a car in stop and go traffic is much worse. It is way too sudden, and not smooth at all. So I guess I had to trade smooth braking and acceleration for smooth steering :confused:

I haven't been able to try this one out yet, and was hoping it fixed the stop-and-go issue(this was the case in 17.24.28 as well). Sucks to hear it's still there. I don't think it's quite dangerous or anything, but, to borrow Elon's terminology: it's "unpleasant".

Any success with perpendicular parking? In my time with 17.24.28 I never once saw a prompt for it.