Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for everyone's observations.

I got notification that .76 was available but I'm unsure I will update right away. I'm on 17.17.4 and use the car more on surface streets than freeways. The surface street reviews seem mixed at best. Maybe I'll monitor a bit more before updating.
Too bad it's not more like my router. Upgrade or roll back at will

At least in my area, the new speed limit database is laughably inferior to the one present in 17.17.x. It's more accurate on freeways and other major divided highways, but nearly worthless on surface streets where speed limits are either no longer detected at all or 10+ mph inaccurate. It made local road auto-steer all but worthless to me as I'm now limited to the "undetected" speed limit of 45mph on a majority of 55mph posted local roads where I previously used auto steer.

Both of our cars got the update notification within 2 hours of each other tonight. I'm installing it now but will probably wait until tomorrow to test it out. It's been 56 days since I got 17.17.4, the longest period between updates since I took delivery in December.

Out of curiosity how do you know by what method it was downloaded? The car downloads the entire update, unpacks it, validates it, and then gives you the prompt to install it. My understanding is that whole process can take 30-60 minutes, and then there is the 27 minutes after that that it took to actually install it.

It's a big update. I got home at 5:51pm and you can see it uploaded 3MB up to their servers. The download started around 10:58pm but I didn't get the notification until after midnight. So either it took a long time to download or it took a while to verify and prep for the update.

Attachments

• IMG_7142.jpg
    IMG_7142.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 73
Got a pushmessage saying there was an update. Yay! Got in my car this morning; it said "systems powering up, press brake when powered up" (or something along those lines). Center console was black, nothing happened for several minutes. Decided to restart center console. Finally booted up. Tapped the alarmclock, sped up the countdown timer, update started. Then the "updating window" dissapeared. WTF? Maybe ten seconds later a message appeared that the download/update failed. "Please wait for update to be offered again" or something along those lines... That's it :(

Still on 17.17.17.

Edit:
Come to think of it... I had it set for (scheduled) charging to, what usually stops at, 299km / 186m. But it had stopped at 268km / 166m OR it has lost 21km / 13m in 4-6 hours... That's kinda weird, isn't it? If it has been stuck in the "booting" since sometime last night (which would explain the center console not coming on) that might explain the 'drain' (though it's still an awful lot?)

Last edited:
After installing I decided to view the manual on the touchscreen. With all the WARNING paragraphs, I would suggest that everyone take time and read the screens describing all the auto driving topics. Tesla mentions what works and what doesn't. They also suggest when the automatic features should not be used. Safe driving everyone!

Yeah auto lane change was much quicker for me too. Scared me at first since it was so much faster than before, but once I got used to it, I think it is much better.
Once you turn on the signal - does it blink long enough to let others around you see your intentions? I hate it when people just turn on their signal and start changing lanes right away. Looks like that's what this will do?

Last edited:
There are a lot of comments about the more aggressive lane change with 17.26.76. Does it at least look for traffic in adjacent lane and wait until safe to change lanes? 17.17.4 would not change lanes if there was a car next to you or in your blind spot.

Just got 17.26.76 this morning, now I'm getting "High speed autosteer requires manual calibration. Please contact Tesla service", or something to that effect, if I try to engage autosteer over 55mph. I had no trouble with 17.17.4. Perhaps the new autosteer is more sensitive to calibration? Anyway, looks like a service trip for me...

It seems to look for car in the next lane before it changes, I signaled the lane change when a car is next to me, it waits for the car to move away from a distance before it changes lane. However, I think you still have to signal the change at the right time when it is indeed safe to change on the safe side. I only tested this update last night once, it appears to be somewhat smoother than 17.17.4 though it still struggles on curved highway, at least it recognize I want stay on the highway on the right most lane when approaching exit ramp where the lane marker is broken. Another improvement is on straight line it less bouncy like a first time 14 years old driver constantly steers the car.

Just got 17.26.76 this morning, now I'm getting "High speed autosteer requires manual calibration. Please contact Tesla service", or something to that effect, if I try to engage autosteer over 55mph. I had no trouble with 17.17.4. Perhaps the new autosteer is more sensitive to calibration? Anyway, looks like a service trip for me...
Mine gave the same message. They are going to replace a placeholder for the radar. Service Center told me more 2017 build cars need to have this fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: gp100dl
I tried 17.26.76 last night. Overall I thought it was ok until I tried a lane change. It was like going through a chicane in a F1 circuit!! My first thought was I'd be in the ditch if there was any kind of light snow or slush on the road. Definitely needs to be smoother. I though the speed adjustments behind other cars were silky though.

• Funny
Reactions: buttershrimp
Anyone know if this is the "silky" firmware?

This is definitely not silky.
Updated my 17.17.17 to 17.26.76 and tested the autosteer yesterday.
I definitely notice sudden (almost jerky) speed changes as well as the car doing subtle (but noticeable) braking to slow the car during driving.
Agree with the aggressive lane changing as others have pointed out as well.

There are a lot of comments about the more aggressive lane change with 17.26.76. Does it at least look for traffic in adjacent lane and wait until safe to change lanes? 17.17.4 would not change lanes if there was a car next to you or in your blind spot.

It does. I frequently (and yesterday after update confirmed) that when you put the turn signal on to change lanes it will wait for the adjacent traffic to pass and have enough space before it will initiate it's lane change. It will make an abrupt lane change, but only when it deems it to be safe.

Reactions: dsnows