Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A fair point, though double-flicking the lever to re-enable isn't all that much of a chore.

I prefer to keep hand-overs to a minimum. Right now I do everything I'd normally do for a lane change, but without having to take control of the car and then giving it back again.

That said, different strokes for different folks. Fortunately, you can choose whether you want it on the controls menu. Even for a one time lane change, you can always take back control, change lanes, and then give it back.

MX100D AP2 March 2017 here. I got this update (came from 17.17.17). This update is HORRIBLE. To be fair, I have not driven 50 miles yet, but this update so far makes AutoPilot pretty much unusable. This is on highways and local roads. Issues:

Not holding a straight line.
False turning/diving into other lanes or off the road.
Reducing to SUPER slow speeds in turns with random breaking (5-10mph decrease breaking) throughout.
Strange TACC behavior where it doesn't actually go up to the speed you set. Like 1-2mph slower than the setting even though no one in front of you.

Good stuff:
I do have the auto-dimming display and it seems to work but that needs more testing.
The perpendicular parking worked once out of three times I tried, but I will need more testing to see if its just the way I was trying to use it.

AP2 s100d, coming from AP1 model s.
My experience with AP2 on the 17.26.76 has been quite positive and lacking many of he issues you mentioned.

I did notice that it seems to be slowing down way too much on curves and ramps (to the point where I have to take over and speed up) but other than that it seems to work pretty well. It isn't as sure of itself on local streets, but works well on highway. The main issue I see compared to AP1 is that it seems to nag a lot more.

Nagging to hold the wheel is bad because it still complains if you hold the wheel, you have to tug and apply steering pressure to get to to know that you are holding the wheel.

I've been driving this now for about 4 days. I believe it's an improvement over what I had before (18.50) but not even close to AP1 when it comes to holding a lane on a highway, or general TACC effectiveness. AP1 was aware of adjacent lanes (AP2 is not) and TACC invariably gets confused about which vehicle to track on a curve. When curving left, for example, my car may spontaneously slow down when the lead car passes a slower car on the right. And while generally more stable than 18.50, it still feels a bit jerky, and drifts around inside the lane. The lane markings on the dashboard also sometimes jump all over the place, decreasing my confidence in the car accurately interpreting the environment.

AP2 still has a long way to go. I have a feeling the majority of those complaining here have driven AP1 previously, while those optimists started off with AP2.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: oktane
It is far too aggressive at lane hunting when the lane widens out and it will bounce around like crazy if the lane splits ...

As always, Tesla's utter lack of a game plan communicated to owners is the heart of why people are very disappointed (on top of the Nov/Dec 2016 misleading statements and videos).
Seriously, when the lane widens or it otherwise loses the lane lines, why is the default action to turn the wheel. If you were driving and someone in the back seat surprised you and covered your eyes, would you just start turning the wheel all over the place? Of course not. If anything, you'd slow down. It's just weird. "I can't see where I'm going! Let's go a different way!"

And the communication blows - period. I remember when I got my car it didn't even have automatic headlights. They're showing video of a car driving itself around town and mine can't even tell it's nighttime. So, I've been good and patient and enjoying my car nevertheless, but I'd love to hear a PR expert explain why not explaining to owners - not shareholders, owners - what the heck is going on makes a lick of sense.

Seriously, when the lane widens or it otherwise loses the lane lines, why is the default action to turn the wheel. If you were driving and someone in the back seat surprised you and covered your eyes, would you just start turning the wheel all over the place? Of course not. If anything, you'd slow down. It's just weird. "I can't see where I'm going! Let's go a different way!"
Agreed, and it's even more confounding because TACC/AP (at least AP1) knows if the current road is straight or curving because it will slow when approaching a tight curve. So, if it knows it's on a straight road and loses the lines, and then the default behavior is to start making turns tighter than any current or upcoming curve. That's makes no sense.

Reactions: _jal_
Also noticed that the dash display only shows one car in front now, whereas before it would show multiple cars ahead of me in my lane. Really seems like a small step backwards from 17.17.4.

I noticed this too.

Multiple car recognition appeared only recently (weeks after 17.17.17 the update). Hopefully this will appear again as the car self teaches its stuff.

I've been driving this now for about 4 days. I believe it's an improvement over what I had before (18.50) but not even close to AP1 when it comes to holding a lane on a highway, or general TACC effectiveness. AP1 was aware of adjacent lanes (AP2 is not) and TACC invariably gets confused about which vehicle to track on a curve. When curving left, for example, my car may spontaneously slow down when the lead car passes a slower car on the right. And while generally more stable than 18.50, it still feels a bit jerky, and drifts around inside the lane. The lane markings on the dashboard also sometimes jump all over the place, decreasing my confidence in the car accurately interpreting the environment.

AP2 still has a long way to go. I have a feeling the majority of those complaining here have driven AP1 previously, while those optimists started off with AP2.

I actually thought 17.17.17 was far more aware of its surroundings but it had limited sight. I noticed way more cars appearing in my IC (even if briefly and oscillating between lanes -- at least it was aware cars could be in many lanes). This firmware, 17.26.76, can see far distances but its very very narrow. Too narrow to make sense. Also it sometimes thinks cars next to me are in my lane and it will slow down rapidly. Its a lot more unpredictable.

• Informative
Reactions: Mark Z
I wonder if the wild turns are due to tunnel vision of sorts? Perhaps when it loses the lines it tries to turn left or right to see if it can find the lines again? I agree that I would tend to slow down or continue straight ahead instead of trying to steer left or right. Hopefully as more cameras are brought online and the path heuristics improve, it won't need to search as wildly and will just be able to follow the road instead of focusing on the lines as much.

Reactions: croman
So far so good for us with AP1. It seems a bit smoother on local roads, especially one near us with a turn at the crest of a hill, which is nice. OTOH, the other day in a very light rain, a phantom car appeared on the display triggering a slowdown and collision warning. We patted the steering wheel and reassured the car with soft words, and it continued along.

• Funny
Reactions: ICUDoc and mach.89
Found that changing lanes by just holding the turn signal short of locking it through the lane change is much less abrupt than if locking for the change, actually much smoother change this way. Need to hold it until fully crossing the line or it will turn back to the original lane.

Reactions: drklain
A fair point, though double-flicking the lever to re-enable isn't all that much of a chore.
While I don't disagree with you, but once you start using lane change feature, you kind of love it that you find that disabling and enabling is an irritation and a nuisance.

My AP1 does lane change almost flawlessly, but there are times when it simply hesitates far too long, that the opportunity to switch lanes is lost. So sometimes after waiting for a few seconds, i take control by disabling AP, doing the lane change manually and enabling it. Annoying but nothing to cry or whine or do an oktane.

There is this section on my daily commute that I switch upto 4 lanes using AP at 75 mph, and there is immense sense of satisfaction to drive through the entire stretch switching lanes, without touching the wheel.

it is like one of those things where I am used to my garage door automatically open, so the other day when I took my ICE car and came into my driveway, I was perplexed why the door is not opening. And I was fumbling with the home link buttons, invariably pressing wrong ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EinSV
Honestly the signal lane change is kinda a gimmick. User initiated lane change is nice only because its a slight annoyance to have to disengage, lane change, and then reengage. EAP will make it true magic because you won't touch anything and it will change lanes on its own. That's automatic lane change.

Reactions: alcibiades
EAP will make it true magic because you won't touch anything and it will change lanes on its own. That's automatic lane change.

Hopefully a selectable option, one I will probably not turn on. How many times in a multi lane road and you opt not to change lanes as you can see the lane you would change to is solid brake lights ahead, but your lane is sailing along. Or, there's an accident ahead and you change lanes to avoid the one you're in because it's merging with another, and an auto lane change would probably do the wrong thing.

I'd rather have control as the car can not see what's ahead.

Hopefully a selectable option, one I will probably not turn on. How many times in a multi lane road and you opt not to change lanes as you can see the lane you would change to is solid brake lights ahead, but your lane is sailing along. Or, there's an accident ahead and you change lanes to avoid the one you're in because it's merging with another, and an auto lane change would probably do the wrong thing.

I'd rather have control as the car can not see what's ahead.

I imagine it will be a selectable option that will replace the current user initiated option.

The feature is probably not going to work very well in city traffic, and like you said, I probably wouldn't use it there. The intended use case is inter-city travel on the open highway in very light traffic, where you are typically driving in the right-hand lane, then temporarily move to the left-hand lane to pass, then back to the right.

Bottom line, if one of my friends were considering a Tesla and if autopilot was an important feature, I can't see how anyone would place an order with the current state of things.

With 17.17.17 I would say most would think it was close enough to move forward with the purchase.

I drove over the highway today on a local road and while physically over the highway my dash changed to 55mph limit. Good grief.

TomTom sucks for AP.

I tried on several local street, speed limit ranging from 25 - 45, tesla (or TomTom) manages to lose most of them!!! That is very frustrating. Also, on a stretch of major local road, 55mph limit, there the tesla show 55, then, 35 for about 100 yard, then back to 55. This is unbelieveable!

Did tesla tested the database and software integration before releasing it?