Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I upgraded to this release, I have not been able to use Autosteer. I keep getting the "Autosteer temporarily unavailable" message. And it's happening on the same roads that I was using Autosteer on successfully with release 17.3.2. Has anyone else experienced this?

For cars with PUP, are dynamic turning headlights working yet? I can't see mine turning when I take 90 deg turns in parking garages.

You were probably misled by Tesla's marketing, the same way I was. :(

My take on the dynamic turning lights, especially with the graphic that Tesla has on their site, was that it would like like other premium brand cars where the headlights actually turn when you turn the steering wheel.

In reality, all the lights do is turn on an outside bulb (or LED) when you turn the steering wheel - but its nothing like real cornering lights where the light mechanism physically turns as you turn the steering wheel.

You were probably misled by Tesla's marketing, the same way I was. :(

My take on the dynamic turning lights, especially with the graphic that Tesla has on their site, was that it would like like other premium brand cars where the headlights actually turn when you turn the steering wheel.

In reality, all the lights do is turn on an outside bulb (or LED) when you turn the steering wheel - but its nothing like real cornering lights where the light mechanism physically turns as you turn the steering wheel.

I think "misled" is a little strong. What you're describing sounds like the behavior of the early cars with "cornering lights" (one light on the lower front corners would light up when turning wheel). But the website for the refreshed cars clearly says, "14 three-position LED dynamic turning lights improve visibility at night." Three-position would tell me that they're not going to "turn".

I had an Infiniti with Adaptive Headlights that turned, and this video of the Tesla looks superior to the 2010 Infiniti I had by far.

Last edited:
No, "misled" is pretty accurate for how I feel about it.

The illustration clearly shows the light beam going from straight ahead (the gray lines) to turning toward the left.

In reality, this would have been a more accurate illustration of what is actually happening. The light beam never moves, its just that the corner has some extra LEDs that come on when you turn. It's really only noticeable when driving slowing and say, turning into a driveway at night (excuse my quick Photoshop editing)

Just drove 400 miles from So Cal to the Bay Area on 17.5.28. Had TACC on 90% of the time, including areas where it was raining. Worked flawlessly, well except once when it slowed down unexpectedly. Probably due to an overhead sign. I though acceleration, braking, and detecting cars merging all improved around the edges. Tried Autosteer for 10 miles or so and worked great. But traffic was moving at 35 and So Cal freeways have great lane striping. So wasn't truly tested

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and DJ 240V
I had an Infiniti with Adaptive Headlights that turned, and this video of the Tesla looks superior to the 2010 Infiniti I had by far.

The illustration clearly shows the light beam going from straight ahead (the gray lines) to turning toward the left.

Video embed didn't work last time. Jumping to 4:30 shows an example of the adaptive lighting. I understand what you're saying now--the lights don't "project" down the road to light up your turning path. They just provide some additional side lighting in turns. Fair enough.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Same here. Went to Richmond VA and back yesterday, about 550 miles down I95. Passed a car carrier with TACC set to max 75 and when fully even with it, the car freaked out to the point that, by the sound of the pedal, kicked in antilock brakes. Punched the go pedal reactively and was rewarded with what felt like skid control kicking in and some fishtail. Hard to fully analyze as it happened so fast, but to the best of my recollection this is how it happened.

Worse though were the 10 or so times going under overhead signs. Mostly momentary panic braking, a few times collision alerts, twice antilock brakes.

I95 is a heavily traveled corridor. I have to believe that, by now, enough AP2 miles have been logged that the Mothership must have every square inch of it mapped out...

For those who haven't had the pleasure of traveling this route, you need to know that this sports some of the worst aggressive drivers, ever. Cutting across 3 lanes of heavy traffic already doing 80, cell phone clamped to their ear while doing 100 MPH and then cutting back again, only to get 3 cars ahead of where they were?

Perhaps those programmers who are responsible for this hot mess need to take many road trips in their designs to fully appreciate the fruits of their labor. And not just on the CA "the" highways. Maybe if we started calling I95 "the 95" the Mothership will give the data it receives from it a higher priority.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.
That sounds really dangerous.

It's a very dangerous length of road. Just now, South of Washington DC, 5 accidents
reported by Waze.

This is a nightmare stretch of 100 miles or so for AP2 currently. Cars tailgate at times less than a car length off your bumper. A panic (false) FCW slam-on-the-brakes TACC at speed is not a good thing, and can ruin your day.

upload_2017-2-7_10-3-29.png

• Informative
Reactions: croman
No, "misled" is pretty accurate for how I feel about it.

In reality, this would have been a more accurate illustration of what is actually happening. The light beam never moves, its just that the corner has some extra LEDs that come on when you turn. It's really only noticeable when driving slowing and say, turning into a driveway at night (excuse my quick Photoshop editing)

I am with you on feeling misled. I started a post not too long ago asking why my adaptive headlights did not move also. I am really starting to feel very disappointed with how Tesla markets and advertises features. I am still waiting for simple things like auto high beams and auto wipers. I have regretted buying into the hype of the AP2 and FSD not to mention the 1/3 less range that I get verse advertised but this is not the thread for that discussion again. I keep waiting and checking each update for my missing functions. Adaptive Cruise is still scary and not close to the last vehicle I owned.

Here on the east coat Philadelphia Suburbs I tried the Autosteer today. I have noticed that 80% of the time I get to enable autosteer is when existing and getting on a ramp. Mostly for me it's when I'm paying toll so the Lane markings stop after awhile and the lanes spread out for traffic so no lanes markings what so ever and then after the toll booth it's the reverse. Multiple non marked lanes merge into 2 lanes. My experience with autosteer has been nothing but close disasters that I avoided by taking control again. It's really frustrating that they have a car(s) that can fully drive but we're on this beta/guiney pig software version. The first generation has multiple Lane that are being monitored and cars shown on dashboard. Why can't they give HW2 cars that? We have more cameras. I don't even think all cameras are enabled. We don't t even have summon (oh sorry SMART SUMMON) yet. Which will go 40 feet instead of 39 and will make a 10 degree turn to make it smart. So frustrated from having to be on par with Gen 1 cars by Dec 2016 to beta testers in mid Feb 2017!

Reactions: Ulmo
Here on the east coat Philadelphia Suburbs I tried the Autosteer today. I have noticed that 80% of the time I get to enable autosteer is when existing and getting on a ramp. Mostly for me it's when I'm paying toll so the Lane markings stop after awhile and the lanes spread out for traffic so no lanes markings what so ever and then after the toll booth it's the reverse. Multiple non marked lanes merge into 2 lanes. My experience with autosteer has been nothing but close disasters that I avoided by taking control again. It's really frustrating that they have a car(s) that can fully drive but we're on this beta/guiney pig software version. The first generation has multiple Lane that are being monitored and cars shown on dashboard. Why can't they give HW2 cars that? We have more cameras. I don't even think all cameras are enabled. We don't t even have summon (oh sorry SMART SUMMON) yet. Which will go 40 feet instead of 39 and will make a 10 degree turn to make it smart. So frustrated from having to be on par with Gen 1 cars by Dec 2016 to beta testers in mid Feb 2017!
Awesome rant. I guess when Tesla sells cars they assume they are selling them to intelligent people who read the accompanying literature before dropping $100k.

When using TACC+ Autosteer, I sometimes get in highway a beeping sound supposedly "detecting" the collision (sometimes with "red" front vehicle image), but it is quite rare tho. Out of hundreds of miles driven last week, I got it like 3 times.

Anyone else got one?
It gives me a feeling like "ghost object" was detected.