Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" rims with P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P90D is on the all-season 19" wheels. It easily spins the fronts for the first 10mph or so. Probably would be better with the 21s but I like my socks and sandals. The car is a really fast cruiser, not a sports car.

(BTW, I know it's not this thread, but I don't post much, so Pete90D: the 1.1g you got on the the VBOX for lateral doesn't mean much. What matters is sustained lateral g's on a skidpad. It's easy to get very high transitional instantaneous g's. Find a 300' skidpad and retest, and I doubt you'll get much over high 0.8x with the car. It's just not set up for it. My track car pulls 1.2g's sustained and there's a world of difference between the two.)

The 1.1 might have been instantaneous, but it did hold in the 0.9s through turns when I was looking at the PBOX. It will definitely do over 0.8x because Motor Trend was able to get the P85D to an average lateral G of 0.9. AFAIK Tesla never said anything about P85D holding 1G before the P90D was released so I bet something else changed that made it possible for Elon to mention it.

- - - Updated - - -

rims don't offer better dry traction. tires do. the right set of tires on 19" rims on a perf model MS will do just as good if not better than 21s and without all of the 21" downsides. i DO NOT recommend 21s for dozens of reasons.

Larger sidewalls have more sidewall flex in cornering. So I don't see how they would be just as good as 21s. If there's a specific post outlining the reasons why 21s are so bad I'd love to read it. I simply don't see it.

My 21s aren't excessively loud, the ride is smooth, I don't feel I have to baby them, they don't lose traction, they don't roll over in turns, they look way better and IMO more fitting for a PXXD.

The actual compound of the tires is empirically significantly better.

Then put better tires on the 19's. Anyone who isn't willing to do that and is only sticking with factory-selected tires probably isn't as performance-oriented as they like to think they are. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I own one of the best handling cars on the market 10 years ago (996 GT3). It came with 18" wheels. Oh, the horror!

I came from a 2013 RWD P85 with 19s and moved to a P90D with the same rims and tires. I do love the look of the 21s, but I didn't want to deal with the high maintenance that came with them and my driving rarely requires the better-performing capabilities of the 21s. The 19s may be a "squishier" ride than the 21s, but its softer, quieter and you get used to it after a while.

And yes, I wear Birkenstocks to work. I prefer to work comfortably. :biggrin:

19 is better. Thats old news. Read other threads.

Put a different tire on the 19 if you really want

but I quote other car mags that test the 19 with all seasons are roughly the same as 21 with summer tires. Wheels don't make a difference. Tires don't even make much of a difference if any.

19 is best unless you just want the looks.

Post any specific new car tests that show otherwise if you want to disagree.

I am building a spreadsheet which organizes all of the Ultra High and Max Performance Summer 19" tires with all data.
I think the rubber that you put on your 19" wheels in the P class Teslas will really pay dividends if you are so inclined.
If you would like a copy of the data, I can probably make it available on a server.

However, in a nutshell, the data shows that the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 to be at the top of the rack.

Again these are SUMMER ONLY tires, sticky, grippy and with high speed ratings. DO NOT USE THESE IN SNOW OR ICE YOU WILL NOT FARE WELL.

Just took delivery of a P90DL a few weeks ago, with 21' Michelins;of course fun, fun, fun. I just put on 19' with OEM Michelins. The 19' are smoother, cheaper, better range (I'm told), but as I suspected, they don't seem to grip the same on Ludicrous launches, but, hey no mystery there. 3x life, 1/2 cost, I can live with a few tenths in the quarter mile.

Just took delivery of a P90DL a few weeks ago, with 21' Michelins;of course fun, fun, fun. I just put on 19' with OEM Michelins. The 19' are smoother, cheaper, better range (I'm told), but as I suspected, they don't seem to grip the same on Ludicrous launches, but, hey no mystery there. 3x life, 1/2 cost, I can live with a few tenths in the quarter mile.

You are probably noticing more the difference of the tires than the wheels. Put a set of high performance tires on your 19" wheels and I bet you will notice a difference.

For most people who live in parts of the country with badly maintained roads, the 19" wheels represents the best overall option and balance between performance, comfort, durability, and practicality. We are looking to buy a P85D at the moment and will not consider any car with 21" wheels. We had a P85D for an extended weekend test drive with 19" wheels and it handled wonderfully for our needs.

I just put on 19' with OEM Michelins. The 19' are smoother, cheaper, better range (I'm told), but as I suspected, they don't seem to grip the same on Ludicrous launches, but, hey no mystery there.

Any numbers on that? I was getting good results on cold tires even close to freezing temps. There is no traction control warning or tire noise unless I'm on roadpaint.