Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st drive of 2017 MBZ E-class: lane keeping is STILL inferior Tesla's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to say this for a while but nobody seems to believe me. I find it sad that people keep telling others to "wait until it is fully autonomous" as if a new hardware suite will suddenly solve those issues.

Tesla is heavily invested in a single front facing camera suite. It is also heavily invested in keeping production costs down in order to make a mass market EV.

I hope it isn't correct that Tesla is going to sick with a single front camera.

I still think the M3 will have stereo cameras and even expect the S/X will have them before the M3 even arrives.

Reactions: xav-
The car can be decked with all sorts of sensors like Christmas lights in a Vegas street, but at the end of the day it should drive in a way that will make you comfortable and relaxing, so that you end up using it more often and help reduce the stress.

Since I drive mostly in highways I recon I am driving close to 80% of my time in my S with AP turned on.

When MBZ gets to that state I will give them a second look whether they have 2 sensors or 24

Reactions: labfm
That's the S-Class not the new E-Class. The E-Class it miles ahead of the S-Class. S-Class did not even have something called Drive Pilot.

In some parts it might have superior hardware, but in others it might not. The new E-Class has a completely new electronics architecture compared to whatever car you have, so overall your car might not has a good hardware as the Model S or E-Class.
I know that is the older version, but I linked it given others mentioned it. And from the reviews posted so far, the new version doesn't seem like a huge leap over the old. The hardware is similar and the software doesn't seem like a huge improvement.

I know that is the older version, but I linked it given others mentioned it. And from the reviews posted so far, the new version doesn't seem like a huge leap over the old. The hardware is similar and the software doesn't seem like a huge improvement.
I'm just find it slightly annoying that everyone speaking of reviews when I have a hard time finding any and nobody seems to be able to link any videos.

That comparison from Norway was the first one posted here so far and honestly I would not even engage a lane keeping feature on such a road because I would find it more stressful to wonder if the car makes the next turn without going on or over the center line instead of driving myself.
Priorities for me are safety systems, stop&go traffic and highway driving, not some windy country roads.

And even watching the video from the article which says the system isn't great the car does a perfect lane change right at the start into a lane with bad markings.
2016-06-26 20_30_41-Mashable - Tech.png

In some parts it might have superior hardware, but in others it might not. The new E-Class has a completely new electronics architecture compared to whatever car you have, so overall your car might not has a good hardware as the Model S or E-Class.

We'll it's the new 2016 GLC model (replacing the GLK) with Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, and Advanced Parking Assist. It definitely has stereo cameras and more radar. It also has 360 surround video (for parking visuals, not automated functions).

So, no, this isn't the 2017 E-Class, but it is a refreshed 2016 model with more sensors than the Tesla. Even mBrace (which has been out longer than the Model S) is a disgrace. Remote Start fails nearly 50% of the time (look at the reviews in the app stores... 92 reviews and 1.25 stars out of 5) and takes upwards of a minute from an iPhone in an area with good 3G/LTE reception. As I've noted elsewhere, they are excellent mechanical engineers. Built extremely well. The seats are more refined and adjustable on even this lower-end model.

BUT, they have a LOT of work to do on UX/UI, integration of self-driving/safety function, and OTA upgrades.

[/QUOTE]

I don't understand why this result from a semi-autonomous vehicle would be considered acceptable.

I can understand the driver's situation because the Tesla is slowing down automatically, then all of a sudden starts to speed up. I'm sure the driver was caught off guard with the unexpected behavior from the AP.

I would expect fully autonomous braking in this situation, not for the vehicle to speed up. I'll wait for AP2.0.

Does anyone know what type of pedestrian detection AutoPilot provides?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
We'll it's the new 2016 GLC model (replacing the GLK) with Driver Assistance Package, Premium Package, and Advanced Parking Assist. It definitely has stereo cameras and more radar. It also has 360 surround video (for parking visuals, not automated functions).

So, no, this isn't the 2017 E-Class, but it is a refreshed 2016 model with more sensors than the Tesla. Even mBrace (which has been out longer than the Model S) is a disgrace. Remote Start fails nearly 50% of the time (look at the reviews in the app stores... 92 reviews and 1.25 stars out of 5) and takes upwards of a minute from an iPhone in an area with good 3G/LTE reception. As I've noted elsewhere, they are excellent mechanical engineers. Built extremely well. The seats are more refined and adjustable on even this lower-end model.

BUT, they have a LOT of work to do on UX/UI, integration of self-driving/safety function, and OTA upgrades.

That would be awesome if the E-Class autonomous system gets installed on the C class of vehicles in 2017 or soon after! That's more my price range. I'm sure its just a matter of time.

Does your 2016 car provide autonomous braking in emergency situations?

Last edited:
Reactions: thimel
I don't understand why this result from a semi-autonomous vehicle would be considered acceptable.

I can understand the driver's situation because the Tesla is slowing down automatically, then all of a sudden starts to speed up. I'm sure the driver was caught off guard with the unexpected behavior from the AP.

I would expect fully autonomous braking in this situation, not for the vehicle to speed up. I'll wait for AP2.0.

It is not acceptable but you don't actually know the circumstance which led to this. For example, it is my understanding that this car was not actually on autopilot but was only on cruise control. ;-)

Like I said previously. be careful making your decisions based on random things posted....

Last edited:
People have to understand that fully autonomous driving is not, in and of itself, a thing yet. There is currently ALWAYS a human involved. Whether it is a human driving the car next to you or the human sitting behind the wheel. We all make mistakes. While I am not saying there WON'T be new hardware, what I am saying is that it is not necessary. Redundancy in safety critical software can be accomplished in a number of ways. You could have 5 complete and independent systems like in fly by wire jets but that doesn't mean it is necessary. We are currently at a place where there is significant interplay between the human and the autopilot. That is not going away any time soon and new hardware will not resolve that gradual change which occurs as much in our own psychology as it does on the car. If the car has a gas pedal, steering wheel, break, etc.. Then there are human factors to consider.

Reactions: Boatguy

That situation (a car moving out of lane revealing a stationary vehicle) is the Achilles heel of practically every ACC system and is explicitly mentioned in ACC user manuals as a situation the system will not brake for. So actually it should be expected behavior if anyone bothered to read the manual.

I posted this last year:
3 day old import P85D crashed while using TACC

It is unclear if the new E-class system accounts for this situation (I would have to read the manual, but it is not posted yet on Mercedes' site).

However from the early reviews, the answer is likely no, given how it handles (or doesn't handle) merging cars:
"With the Mercedes DISTRONIC system and steering pilot, the car does a great job in straight-line traffic. It’ll accelerate and brake all on its own, and adjust the wheel in order to keep in its lane. But watch out if someone wants to merge.

Each time I had a slow, merging car approach the E300, the car didn’t see it—at that point, the driver had to take control and accommodate for another car entering the lane.

The lack of sensory for merging cars was a problem throughout the camp, and myself and the other journalists were told that “it’s still an assistance system and you’re still in charge” as the driver. When another car merges, the driver needs to be in control."
http://jalopnik.com/2017-mercedes-benz-e300-mercedes-made-an-e-class-bette-1781983204

You can ask as similar question, is

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
It is not acceptable but you don't actually know the circumstance which led to this. For example, it is my understanding that this car was not actually on autopilot but was only on cruise control. ;-)

Like I said previously. be careful making your decisions based on random things posted....

Fully autonomous braking should definitely work with TACC. The TA part means traffic aware, and being "aware" of traffic to me would include stationary traffic. The auto steer portion doesn't even come into play in this situation. Other manufactures have autonomous braking without regard for the cruise control being on or off.

What I've read in other threads on this site from Tesla experts is that the hardware that comes with AP can't properly discern stationary items well enough from the "background noise" to brake for them. I'm not sure if that's the proper way to describe it, but that's my interpretation of what's been posted here.

Having only one camera, and only one mode of radar means the AP system can't confidently identify a stationary object from the background noise until the ultrasonic sensors come into range. By then, it may be too late to stop as appears to have happened in this accident.

Fully autonomous braking should definitely work with TACC. The TA part means traffic aware, and being "aware" of traffic to me would include stationary traffic. The auto steer portion doesn't even come into play in this situation. Other manufactures have autonomous braking without regard for the cruise control being on or off.
Well this interpretation of ACC is wrong to say the least, and is quite a dangerous expectation if you have no experience with ACC systems. ACC systems in general do not respond to stationary vehicles.

Here are some examples I previously posted:
The DISTRONIC PLUS regulates only the distance between your vehicle and those directly ahead of it. It may not register stationary objects in the road, e.g.:
- a stopped vehicle in a traffic jam
- a disabled vehicle
- an oncoming vehicle
Obstructions and stationary vehicles
DISTRONIC PLUS does not brake for obstacles or stationary vehicles. If, for example, the detected vehicle turns a corner and reveals an obstacle or stationary vehicle, DISTRONIC PLUS will not brake for these.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class: Tips for driving with DISTRONIC PLUS - DISTRONIC PLUS - Driving systems - Driving and parking - Mercedes-Benz E-Class Owners Manual

The system does not decelerate when a stationary obstacle is located in the same lane, e.g., a vehicle at a red traffic light or at the end of traffic congestion
Unexpected lane change
If a vehicle ahead of you unexpectedly moves into another lane from behind a stopped vehicle, you yourself must react, as the system does not react to stopped vehicles.
System limits - Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, ACC - Driving comfort - Controls - BMW 5 Series Owners Manual - BMW 5 Series | BMWManuals.org

Bonus from Volvo:
Adaptive Cruise Control does not react to people or animals, or small vehicles such as bicycles and motorcycles. It also does not react to slow moving, parked or approaching vehicles, or stationary objects.
Adaptive Cruise Control – limitations