Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st EAP feature for AP2/2.5 reportedly released tonight: auto lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you had your car swerve by tar lines? I have and it does not feel anything like a controlled lane change.

Yes, and it depends on the tar lines. One particular road I take where they have redesigned a merge and there is a line where the previous lane was. AP will (almost) always follow the original lane in preference to the newly painted lanes. When doing this, it seems to "automatically" move from one lane to another.

What rumours? All we have are tweets by the owner of Model 3 Club. I am assuming (perhaps prematurely) that he, being the guy who runs the site, is likely to have personal contacts inside the beta program and that they have likely spoken on the phone together about this and had a conversation -enough to rule out random swerves on tar lines. Of course I might be wrong.

Exactly these rumours - unverifiable at the moment.

Sorry to derail the thread @calisnow, but was wondering if you or others could check something for me on your AP2 cars. I noticed something interesting last night and would love for any other X/S owners with AP2 to confirm. I've noticed that both of the "side" cameras near the falcon wing doors of my X appear to have what looks like moisture/fog inside of them. My understanding is that these cameras have defrosters/heaters in them in order to keep them visible and clear -- perhaps this is what I'm seeing? I only notice it when I flash the flashlight on my iPhone directly on or sideways against the camera housings. I thought it was temperature related, but I still see it on both sides on warm as well as cold days. A picture doesn't show it, as it's very subtle. Anyone else?

Sorry to derail the thread @calisnow, but was wondering if you or others could check something for me on your AP2 cars. I noticed something interesting last night and would love for any other X/S owners with AP2 to confirm. I've noticed that both of the "side" cameras near the falcon wing doors of my X appear to have what looks like moisture/fog inside of them. My understanding is that these cameras have defrosters/heaters in them in order to keep them visible and clear -- perhaps this is what I'm seeing? I only notice it when I flash the flashlight on my iPhone directly on or sideways against the camera housings. I thought it was temperature related, but I still see it on both sides on warm as well as cold days. A picture doesn't show it, as it's very subtle. Anyone else?
This is the kind of exercise I do NOT want to undertake for fear you're right and now it will bother me all the time. But what the hell - ok I'll check.

• Funny
Reactions: RubberToe
You are some guy on your couch typing on a hobby forum. Elon is the guy actually making it happen. Oh crap I fed the ...

Elon isnt making anything happen other than embellishing release dates. The engineers are doing all the work and deserve all the credit.

Im the guy who calls out elon on his BS so more sheeps wont be bamboozled in the slaughter house!

My car now can make this intersection (note the curve). It has failed on every prior fw. NOTE: no cars were around so the car could see the dashed lines but it has always ignored those even without other cars. I also did not use the +5mph so I was going 30mph instead of my usual 35mph.

upload_2017-10-20_9-6-13.png

What rumours? All we have are tweets by the owner of Model 3 Club. I am assuming (perhaps prematurely) that he, being the guy who runs the site, is likely to have personal contacts inside the beta program and that they have likely spoken on the phone together about this and had a conversation -enough to rule out random swerves on tar lines. Of course I might be wrong.

You mean the guy who said thousands of model 3s were being produced and stockpiled for july reveal?

You cant be serious...LMAO you tesla fans will believe anything!

My car now can make this intersection (note the curve). It has failed on every prior fw. NOTE: no cars were around so the car could see the dashed lines but it has always ignored those even without other cars. I also did not use the +5mph so I was going 30mph instead of my usual 35mph.
Navigating Des Plaines streets should be a proving ground for FSD. I wonder exactly when in the past some city planner just said "Bah! Streets will go here! And train tracks here!" and just drew a bunch of random lines on a map.:confused:

My test road is Campground Road, but it's been closed. Maybe I can try it today.

• Love
Reactions: croman
I am one of those first two initial reports that was tweeted about the other day. I was in my car with my family shortly after getting the latest update. We were on the freeway, 405 south, through West Los Angeles, and at a point when there was pretty heavy traffic in our Lane, the car executed in automatically and change, without any input from me whatsoever, while on AP2 auto steer, and just kept going about its day. Weird. Didn't feel unsafe. Just happened once. Wonder if they're just "testing" it in select cases with wider release expected shortly?

I am one of those first two initial reports that was tweeted about the other day. I was in my car with my family shortly after getting the latest update. We were on the freeway, 405 south, through West Los Angeles, and at a point when there was pretty heavy traffic in our Lane, the car executed in automatically and change, without any input from me whatsoever, while on AP2 auto steer, and just kept going about its day. Weird. Didn't feel unsafe. Just happened once. Wonder if they're just "testing" it in select cases with wider release expected shortly?

IMO, thats just called AP malfunctioning. That's what earlier FW for me did (17.11.3 did that a couple times). This is being blown out of proportion.

Did the car signal with the blinker before changing lanes?

Reactions: Sonny Daze
Navigating Des Plaines streets should be a proving ground for FSD. I wonder exactly when in the past some city planner just said "Bah! Streets will go here! And train tracks here!" and just drew a bunch of random lines on a map.:confused:

My test road is Campground Road, but it's been closed. Maybe I can try it today.

Railroad work all over DP starting on Monday for 3 days. Its going to be a nightmare! I test out AP on all the major locals and its quite good on the ones where its good, and it is unpredictable and bad on others. No rhyme or reason. I just avoid the "Bad" roads now and focus on the good ones. When FSD starts, I'll be primed to test it again and compare notes. Now with each new FW release, its like Christmas all over again.

I want new EAP features as much as everyone here, but telling the truth matters. There aren't any....yet.

Also, I watched that full movie with Jon McNeil and I didn't walk away with any impressions that anything big is actually coming. He said standard boilerplate stuff about how we'd be happy "this quarter" with AP, then went to talk about their struggles not just to reach parity with AP1, but ultimately surpass it. I genuinely don't see this as an indicator of EAP or FSD this year at all.

Last edited:
Its funny how the lack of meaningful progress on AP has led many to believe in fantasies and to make AP flaws into "features." I want progress too but Tesla has deceived us too often to believe anything until its in our cars and tested and revealed in release notes. Its negligent for them to secretly release features without disclosing them (like auto lane change). So even if this is true, which it clearly seems like its not, its not looking good for Tesla in my book.

Do we know which 4 cameras EAP is supposed to use? Is it the forward 3 and the rear? Or is it one of the forward ones + 2 side + rear?

I would think this would be an FSD feature, not EAP. There's no way they can do this with just the ultrasonics, so it has to use the side cameras.