Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st EAP feature for AP2/2.5 reportedly released tonight: auto lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We should wait for confirmation before you celebrate...

Nope, not waiting.

I can confirm that Yasiel Puig received the EAP automatic lane change update...

YPC_zpspn2srtvs.jpg

Yes, I'm referring to the side B-pillar cameras. Seems like moisture / fog is trapped on both sides! So weird, though. Might have something to do with the temperature, as we're getting a bit colder weather recently. But I would expect it to go away completely after sitting in my garage or in the sun all day!
What do you mean "trapped on both sides"...?

Yes it has to do with temperature. When warmer, more humid air meets e.g. a cold surface the moisture will "drop" and in this case attach to the surface as "fog". It's simply the change of the physical state of matter from gas phase into liquid phase. (Opposite of evaporation.)

Reactions: croman
What do you mean "trapped on both sides"...?

Yes it has to do with temperature. When warmer, more humid air meets e.g. a cold surface the moisture will "drop" and in this case attach to the surface as "fog". It's simply the change of the physical state of matter from gas phase into liquid phase. (Opposite of evaporation.)

I just mean that I can see it inside of the camera housing. It doesn't wipe away with a cloth, so it's trapped "inside" against the glass. I guess it's normal and will eventually go away? It has been a few days now.

I just mean that I can see it inside of the camera housing. It doesn't wipe away with a cloth, so it's trapped "inside" against the glass. I guess it's normal and will eventually go away? It has been a few days now.
Ok, I see. That's what I was describing. Behind your interior plastic B-pillar trim, you have the structural aluminum body. This has a bunch of holes in it. One of those holes - one of the biggest - are for wiring to the B-pillar camera among other things. My theory is that this hole isn't properly sealed by Tesla, so warm and humid interior air leaks in there and condensates on the inside of the glass in front of the cameras.

• Helpful
Reactions: J1mbo and croman
BTW yeah it's "normal" in the sense it's kind of unavoidable. I guess they'd have to make it vacuum chamber sealed to avoid such condensation.

... Or put some proper heating elements in there so that the glass would be warm enough to not fog up

In many words you're saying exactly what I've been trying to say from day 1: Smart summon would be such a demanding feature to get right you'd want all sensors operating. IMO you'll want the BUC too, you know, for parking

I am a man of many words.

But yeah, Smart Summon and EAP+ are both difficult features with the current sensor suite, and more so if you hamstring yourself to not use all the cameras. (Though the nice thing for Tesla about EAP+ is that it's a very fuzzy description -- hard to pin down...) Auto lane change (the subject of this thread) is also not easy, esp without corner radar. You need all those cameras going.

If this rumor about auto lane change (the version where you don't initiate it yourself) turns out to be true, I'm definitely leaving it disabled on my car for now. My experience with the driver-initiated auto lane change has not left me with enough confidence to let it do this whenever it likes.

I think .40 gives me an out ...

During my commute this morning, 2017.40 tried to slam me straight into the same concrete barrier it always does. I let it try every time, hoping the "fleet learning" thing will kick in. Its persistence suggests that maybe it actually doesn't like me very much and is doing this on purpose...

During my commute this morning, 2017.40 tried to slam me straight into the same concrete barrier it always does. I let it try every time, hoping the "fleet learning" thing will kick in. Its persistence suggests that maybe it actually doesn't like me very much and is doing this on purpose...

An AI that is smart enough might actually be trying to cull the herd a bit. Maybe this is what Elon was starting to get worried about...

RT

The lack of useful release notes on what is and isn't working with AP2 is potentially dangerous, because some owners may make assumptions about what may have been fixed in a release, such as allowing the software to automatically change lanes - when the software really doesn't support it.

Tesla knows the AP2 software is not yet at AP1 levels.

They know what they've tested and validated.

They know what areas are partially working, but require monitoring to ensure safe use.

And they know what areas are not anywhere close to working.

And drivers in cars with AP2 are left to guess all of this.

While there are stretches that AutoSteer seems to work well (basically in the left lane on a limited access highway), there are enough times that it still does something unexpected, that driving under AutoSteer still requires more effort - than just driving with TACC enabled.

Since Tesla doesn't claim AP2 is anywhere close to EAP - and everyone knows it, what would be the harm in providing more detailed information, so drivers are better informed on what is and isn't working???

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
With 17.40 at least they'll get the disengagement report now. I hope they do heat maps or some such for those reports to investigate the biggest offenders and hopefully incorporate fixes, but who knows if anybody really looks into any of that data ;)

Oh, I wonder if we'll now get quarterly disengagement reports from Tesla? Like "X million miles driven on autopilot this quarter, Y billion disengagements happened"