TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

20" Model X Slipstream Wheels on Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mike-415, Feb 28, 2017.

1. mike-415

mike-415 Member

I wanted a factory look, sticky rubber, and the freedom to drive without the fear of imminent pothole related wheel damage. The 20" Model X Slipstreams fit perfectly and only a Tesla aficionado would ever know they aren't a stock fitment.

Wheels are 20x9 ET 35MM and 20x9.5 ET 40MM. Tires are 245/40 and 285/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sport. No rubbing (except the fronts in reverse at certain angles, like the OEM 21s), no issues.

• Like x 4
  2. derekmw

derekmw Member

How much did you pay for them? I assume not very cheap. I would think (especially since you say you still DO rub a little), it would make more sense to just buy aftermarket 20" that fit properly without causing any rubbing issues. Or if you wanted to keep stock look, why not just get one of the 19" OEM (the slipstream looks just like those in my opinion and will actually fit properly) ones and put sticky tires on them?

3. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

Thank you for the post! They look amazing. How does it ride as compared to the factory 19's or 21's? Any range loss? Any way to update the LCD to update the rim change?

4. mike-415

mike-415 Member

I bought these from a Model X owner who swapped them for 22s, so they weren't expensive. The ride is what you'd expect: firmer than the 19s but softer than the 21s. I have a set of 19s, but the best tires (Pilot Super Sports) aren't made for the 19-inch size, probably because the sidewalls would be too tall. The 20-inch tire sizes I am running are nearly identical in overall diameter to stock and seem ideal for handling/durability.

As for rubbing and offset, the rubbing is only in reverse and only at a certain angle; it isn't material. The tradeoff is that the offsets look a lot better than stock (the wheel isn't so far into the wheel well). Aftermarket 20-inch wheels from TSportline, HRE, TSW, and everyone else I found use identical width (20x9) and offset (+35MM) in the front, so there's no better option even if you did want no rubbing whatsoever. I've heard rubbing from OEM 21s, so it may not be possible with any wide tire.

I don't believe there's any way to make the screen show these wheels; Tesla wouldn't have loaded the images for these into the Model S body mask.

I can't comment on range. I've run 20s almost since new. I previously had TSW wheels in this size. One of them bent rather spectacularly on a moderate pothole, so I elected to go with something more stout.

• Informative x 2
  5. ahurst

ahurst Member

I like the look....

• Like x 1
  6. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Are those the stock tires widths that the X runs? I'm not really a fan of the slipstreams and usually 20" wheels still look odd to me (prefer 21"), but I have to say this looks really good.

• Like x 1
  7. PunchIT

PunchIT Member

Interesting. I asked Tesla service center to swap my 21" turbine with Model X 20" slipstream. They told me it's not compatible with Model S. So I went with T-Sportline.

I really like this look. These fill up the wheel well like the 21s and you have extra rubber. Might look even better if you powder coated them grey!

8. mike-415

mike-415 Member

The tires are quite different in width and height from the MX tires. (I have a nearly new set of MX tires to sell.) The 9" and 9.5" wheels are within Michelin's recommended width range for these sizes front and rear.

9. Fiver

Fiver Member

Is there any issue with the speedometer? I got a notification when I changed from 21s to 19s for the winter. Is there a 20" option?

10. taminatorv

taminatorv Member

These look great! I was thinking of this, but wanted someone else to try it first. I would prefer a square setup, so I would have to look for four Model X front wheels.

11. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Last I checked, the Pilot Super Sports aren't available in our 19" sizing. If you want that tire, and a number of people do as the performance is fantastic, the stock 19"s won't work. 20"s is really the best option, and if you want a stock look the Model X wheels are really your only choice. I think they're actually quite heavy, though. It'd be a tough decision.

I don't believe there's any idea solution right now.

I wasn't aware there were any conditions under which the OEM 21"s rubbed. Is that truly the case?