Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S launch vs. upcoming US elections

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the tax credit were non-existent I would not be priced out. However, I would have to either get the 40kWh pack or cut out several options (air suspension, paint, pano roof). I've owned about 9 cars, all used. The cost of my Model S will be equal to the total cost of all the vehicles I've owned (less maintenance :rolleyes:).

Hilarious way of looking at it. A quick calculation puts me in the same category, except that I've owned 17 cars...

After all, how many of you spending $90k+ on a Model S would be priced out if it didn't qualify for the tax credit?

For the people buying the 90K+ variants of the model S, probably not many. For those that are buying the 40kw Model S, probably more than you think. I know that without the tax rebate, the Model S would probably be out of reach for me (as it stands, I am planning on buying a black 40kw with no options just to bring the price down to a point where I can swing it) I know that I cannot be the only one who is REALLY stretching to afford a Tesla.

Almost every credible economist refutes this. Republican, Democrat, or Independent. Gas prices are determined by a world-wide market and the subsidies have little effect on the price at the pump.

I disagree.
Why does gasoline cost $4 a gallon in the U.S. and $10 a gallon in the U.K.?
Because in the UK and the EU gasoline is taxed to pay for the infrastructure it requires.

The US does the following - all effectively subsidize gasoline at the expense of the income tax payer:
#1 direct tax break gifts to big oil
#2 using income tax revenue instead of just insufficient gas tax revenue to build and maintain roads and highways
#3 fighting expensive wars to protect oil supplies
#4 not paying for its share of environmental and health damage

Almost every credible economist refutes this. Republican, Democrat, or Independent. Gas prices are determined by a world-wide market and the subsidies have little effect on the price at the pump.
Not that I disagree as I have no knowledge, but I'm curious how that can be? If a subsidy has zero impact, what's the point? If Chevron got a subsidy and no one else did, wouldn't they be cheaper? If not, does that subsidy just vanish into the corporate coffers?

Wow, mods turned my posting into a separate thread. That's what you get for taking a thread off the rails, I guess. Thanks, anyway!
Now let's not turn to the tax credit and the income distribution of reservation holders again. Separate threads exist on these subjects, e.g.
Taxes & Fees
With no $7,500 credit, could you still afford to buy?
Model S Buyers: What's Your Income?

Adding to my original post, what would you U.S. citizens offer as your point of view if discussion ever comes to the subject of Model S in the rages of upcoming elections? Is it politically correct for a conservative to take possession of a Model S (Signature) during this summer? What will your boss say? co-workers?

For the people buying the 90K+ variants of the model S, probably not many. For those that are buying the 40kw Model S, probably more than you think. I know that without the tax rebate, the Model S would probably be out of reach for me (as it stands, I am planning on buying a black 40kw with no options just to bring the price down to a point where I can swing it) I know that I cannot be the only one who is REALLY stretching to afford a Tesla.

Trust me. You're not the only one. The most expensive car I've bought so far is the 2004 Prius at just under $30K for the fully loaded model. The Model S will be just under $90K. It's a real stretch.

I think it would be a mistake for either party to slam Tesla, especially if they stay on plan. There is plenty for the "Greens," Dems and Reps to love about Tesla.

The Model S might be our solution to gridlock … "why can't we all get along" driving cross-country on Rt 66!

The only one of the potential candidates slamming tesla would be Ron paul. He would do it out of principle more than anything. Romney and whichever running mate will focus on the failed loans, Obama may hold tesla Nissan and ford as the gold standard. But it's semi-toxic subject to either party, kind of like bringing up welfare or social security reform. Whoever brings it up losses.

It really depends on the running mate, If you get a palin type with the drill baby drill mantra, that will shift the discussion to EVs but I don't think they are going to have a loose cannon as a running mate. My best guess for Romney is going to be either Rubio or Christie and they are rather neutral in oil. Rubio for the Hispanic vote or Christie as an attack dog. The only way it becomes an issue is if oil tops $5 gallon for the us average until they pick a running mate.

I agree that the tax breaks for oil may not do anything, but without them it hurts the oil companies bottom lines, so it makes sense if they want to keep profits up and shareholders happy that they should charge more since they would be paying more in taxes.

Shouldn't the super chargers be up and running by the time the campaigns kick off? It would be very cool to have at least one car in their posse be a Model S that they drive with them from town to town.

It would be ideal if all of their cars were Model S's. That would be the first campaign that didn't run on gas!