Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 Q1 Discussion thread for Delivery numbers, Earnings Report and Conference Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read the whole thing. Loving it.

No additional X delay
No lowered guidance
Aggressive growth continues
If it weren't for the strong dollar they'd be increasing gross margins even more
Volume production of storage in Fremont in Q3 and in 2016 in the GF
GF still on (ahead of original) time plan: production in 2016

J, I know it must be bedtime in Norway. Go ahead, get some sleep, we will record/report on the CC here and you can check it out in the AM :biggrin:

"In Q2, we expect to produce about 12,500 vehicles, representing a 12% sequential increase.
We plan to deliver 10,000 to 11,000 vehicles in Q2, and we are still on track to deliver approximately 55,000 Model S and X cars in 2015."

Very good.

I hope weíll have some specifics on the CC about that demand for the 70D. If S60 was 10%, it'd be interesting to see how it compares, even if it's early on. Also, liked the part about 70D barely impacting 85 sales.

I am mildly worried about X being a "late" Q3 delivery. Not that we were expecting anything but August/September, we do know "Tesla time", but next time they guide for soemthing aftera series of delays, they shouldn't just barely make it.

On the flip side we have never heard Q1 for Gigafactory. When they announced 2016, I was thinking the reason they are so vague is because it will be Q4 and just so they can claim 2016. this is really good!

Read the whole thing. Loving it.

No additional X delay
No lowered guidance
Aggressive growth continues
If it weren't for the strong dollar they'd be increasing gross margins even more
Volume production of storage in Fremont in Q3 and in 2016 in the GF
GF still on (ahead of original) time plan: production in 2016

No mention of the CPO program and it's affiliated cost/revenue potential. Since this program is ongoing and 'official' with their website presence, I believe Elon will discuss it during the call and presumably boast of its benefits in terms of profitability for the company (though minor compared to their main auto sales) as well as affordability for buyers who otherwise can't afford the higher priced new model.

Wow that is great. They really hit every point. I hoped a little more about stationary, but I think that will be the star of the call. I for one would like someone to ask about the implied hockey stick in production midyear.

On the flip side we have never heard Q1 for Gigafactory. When they announced 2016, I was thinking the reason they are so vague is because it will be Q4 and just so they can claim 2016. this is really good!

I am honestly REALLY pleasantly surprised that they are going to actually fire up Gigafactory One in Q1 2016. That is phenomenal, and it means that the ramp-up towards huge revenues in automotive and energy markets will be even swifter than we thought.

2015 Q1 Discussion thread for Delivery numbers, Earnings Report and Conferenc...

No mention of the CPO program and it's affiliated cost/revenue potential. Since this program is ongoing and 'official' with their website presence, I believe Elon will discuss it during the call and presumably boast of its benefits in terms of profitability for the company (though minor compared to their main auto sales) as well as affordability for buyers who otherwise can't afford the higher priced new model.

They did say, if you're read between the lines, that it's a money maker:

"We expect Services and other gross margin to be slightly better than breakeven in Q2, and continue to improve to about 5% by Q4. The improvement will come from cost reductions on Daimler powertrains as well as increased sales of Tesla Energy and pre-owned Model S vehicles."

So they lump the profits from the CPO cars with "services and other". Not vehicle sales.

Good report overall specially that they reiterated 55K deliveries this year.

Some points to digest.

- $1.5B cash in hand, and $1.5B planned expenses this year.
- Q2 should be smooth but Q3 suddenly becomes battleground. In Q3, margins will be affected due to new ramp of the X. In the 2nd half, Tesla will have to deliver 34K cars. That's a huge ask considering that Model X won't ship until late Q3. It may have issues to ramp up production too quickly. Something to watch out for.
- I expect Tesla to offer a secondary in Q3. It is too much risk launching Model X in late Q3 while not having enough money for black swan events. I would like Tesla to have at least a B on hand anytime. Without secondary, the math does not add up.

I am honestly REALLY pleasantly surprised that they are going to actually fire up Gigafactory One in Q1 2016. That is phenomenal, and it means that the ramp-up towards huge revenues in automotive and energy markets will be even swifter than we thought.

I saw that they are assembling the stationary storage in th GF in Q1 2016.....does that mean they will be making batteries at that time as well?

Some points to digest.

- Q2 should be smooth but Q3 suddenly becomes battleground. In Q3, margins will be affected due to new ramp of the X. In the 2nd half, Tesla will have to deliver 34K cars. That's a huge ask considering that Model X won't ship until late Q3. It may have issues to ramp up production too quickly. Something to watch out for.
- I expect Tesla to offer a secondary in Q3. It is too much risk launching Model X in late Q3 while not having enough money for black swan events. I would like Tesla to have at least a B on hand anytime. Without secondary, the math does not add up.

It will be super interesting if one of the analysts asks about a new secondary (stock or bonds) on the call.

If they answer with a clear "No" then it still might happen. If they try to avoid answering we know it will definitely happen.

Some points to digest.

It's not all being spent in one shot and they can use debt financing. There will be cash generated till Q3 so if they do a secondary I'd be a bit surprised. They invested a lot and front loaded the infrastructure for ramp up in Q1.