Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017.46 3387a54 is out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point was that the setting is based upon time, not distance. For example, each increment represents a half-second worth of following distance (I don't know the actual amount of time, as I am awaiting delivery of my Model S). Two seconds of following distance at 70 mph is way more distance than at 35 mph.

Each one is one second. So between 1 second and 7 seconds. Otherwise you are entirely correct. I adjust my following distances based on local vs. highway. For example, on my recent very long road trip (1600 mi round trip), I set it at between 5-7. In heavy traffic for my commute, I set to 1 to avoid inviting people to cut in (which AP handles better but still not ideal). On local roads, I prefer 2 and normal highway commute is 3-4.

I feel the latest FW operates better with more daylight between my car and the lead car (can see more lane lines and better path plan).

The point was that the setting is based upon time, not distance. For example, each increment represents a half-second worth of following distance (I don't know the actual amount of time, as I am awaiting delivery of my Model S). Two seconds of following distance at 70 mph is way more distance than at 35 mph.

really please ... I am fully aware of that

for further clarification the point I am making at that for a given speed the following distance for a given setting is different on local roads to highways. Even if somewhat counter intuituve, it is clearly a concious decision by Tesla.

Yep... I know people that do this, with my mom being one of them. In a vehicle that goes to full regen anytime you let off the accelerator, it will quickly make people sick. An ICE smooths out the power spikes caused by doing this, but even then, it's terrible for gas mileage and not a pleasant ride.

LOL, you made me think of my mom's driving habit... 50mph _everywhere_. 50mph on the freeway... and 50mph on side streets. She is terrifying both ways!

This is a very sticky point for me. I've come very close to ordering one of the "last call" S75s in the past weeks, but I have pretty serious uncertainty about the future of AP2, and that is my main interest in driving a Tesla over other manufacturers. The vague allusions to upcoming features by company leadership are not very inspiring. If they even released a plausible timeline or list of features being worked, that would have gone a long way in getting me off of the fence.

Seems like there's quite a lot of interest. Maybe we should start a separate thread for this? Perhaps you'd like to organise it, if you have time?

Want to trade an 08.2016 S75RWD with AP1 (2,600 miles) for a new AP2 vehicle? I might even throw some cash in the deal, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: BinaryField
I'm still on 17.42, wishing I could contribute to the 17.46 or 17.48 discussion lol....

I still don't understand, from an engineering, customer service, or public relations POV why all OTA software update rollouts take so long to reach the majority of vehicles, and are so (seemingly) random in their timing and frequency for specific cars. I understand the idea of having several versions out in the field for data comparisons, but for simple feature updates like "Chill" owners shouldn't have to wonder for weeks if they are going to get them. It would be nice to know you will receive whatever the latest update is within, say, 2 weeks of the initial release, instead of maybe soon, or maybe never...rant over for now...

I'm still on 17.42, wishing I could contribute to the 17.46 or 17.48 discussion lol....

I still don't understand, from an engineering, customer service, or public relations POV why all OTA software update rollouts take so long to reach the majority of vehicles, and are so (seemingly) random in their timing and frequency for specific cars. I understand the idea of having several versions out in the field for data comparisons, but for simple feature updates like "Chill" owners shouldn't have to wonder for weeks if they are going to get them. It would be nice to know you will receive whatever the latest update is within, say, 2 weeks of the initial release, instead of maybe soon, or maybe never...rant over for now...

Yup, it's pretty frustrating. With many software engineers working on various aspects and requiring "several versions out in the field for data comparisons", managing software releases is tough. There are long term gain and short term pain considerations. Remember, this approach has put us way ahead in the field. It's for our good. The video might help. (Musings of a software engineer.)

Last edited:
Yup, it's pretty frustrating. With many software engineers working on various aspects and requiring "several versions out in the field for data comparisons", managing software releases is tough. There are long term gain and short term pain considerations. Remember, this approach has put us way ahead in the field. It's for our good. The video might help. (Musings of a software engineer.)

The vast majority of Tesla drivers have no clue what firmware they are on.

I wonder what's going on with 2017.46, we now have .46.8, .46.9, .46.10, and .46.12, with .46.8 still being the primary trickling release. That's a lot more sub-versions than we usually see. Not to mention it's near the end of week 48.

Could it be a prelude to this: “We have some really great progress to reveal to you over the current quarter”? (Tesla, Oct 20, 2017: Tesla cautiously addresses upcoming Autopilot 2.0 software update )

AP2 wish list: Heed speed limit signs; rain sensing wipers; extend auto lane change to operate on all roads (AP1 parity).

Better still: Heed all traffic signs/signals. Never mind the wipers ... I gotta do something.

Meanwhile, enjoy silky smooth. :)

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno and croman
Could it be a prelude to this: “We have some really great progress to reveal to you over the current quarter”? (Tesla, Oct 20, 2017: Tesla cautiously addresses upcoming Autopilot 2.0 software update )

AP2 wish list: Heed speed limit signs; rain sensing wipers; extend auto lane change to operate on all roads (AP1 parity).

Better still: Heed all traffic signs/signals. Never mind the wipers ... I gotta do something.

Meanwhile, enjoy silky smooth. :)
I will take these PLUS........activate the two side rear facing cameras for a truer EAP. I say LIGHT ‘EM UP!!!! It’s time.

Reactions: croman and don123

Better still: Heed all traffic signs/signals. ...

How nice this would be. Stop at a stop sign, recognize it, react to it, and follow the route from Nav.

You know - just like the video from A YEAR AGO.

And yeah - consistent auto lane change *and* TACC/AS adjustments across road types would be refreshing - I miss that from AP1 every time it doesn't work with AP2 - and it was pretty wacky during my last trip to Western Canada. Definitely some interpretive differences between routes and highways up there insofar as Nav was concerned. Comical if not so frustrating.

Anyway, not holding my breath. They've got *.48 and technically *.50 to get it done - although you would think they'd code freeze pretty quick here, given the givens. There's also quarter-end/year-end work and next month's annual factory shutdown for a week or two. Although with the Model 3 ramping up (and quite well from what I hear), maybe it'll be just a partial shutdown. Dunno.

New iOS update out for the Tesla app that removed the 30 minute time limit on preconditioning but requires .46 for it to work.
7CC53239-ACA3-44A2-909D-ED3E455725B7.jpeg