Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our respectful disagreement (besides heralding a welcome return to forum decorum :)) seems to boil down to which of two likely effects proves more significant. I'll agree that BMW, MB and Audi MS competitors won't go to 0% if you'll agree there is no reason they could not go to 7 or 8% as Tesla penetrates the awareness of non EV luxury car customers! That is all that's needed to keep MS/MX growth going as M3 wave comes to shore. I'd posit that you are right that Eco and EV early adopters will stop 'stretching' to get MS once reasonably optioned M3 are available. But...I'll virtually bet you this boost effect to MS/MX sales will not be missed as the FAR larger new car buying public becomes much more aware of Tesla brand and EV choices. The number of 'Hey, check out the acceleration of my new Tesla' drives are going to rise steeply for the next 2 - 3 years. Won't Volvo's luxury and safety oriented customers ready for a new car in that class not consider MS/MX now that Volvo has declared they are abandoning ICE over next few years? Only time will tell if the push ahead effects of M3 will outweigh the pull back ones. I just doubt that high end ICE customers of Volvo, Audi, etc. will mostly decide to get stuck for years with the last production runs of cars with a drivetrain these companies have declared they now view as obsolete.

I think the confusion between us, I'm sure it's my fault, relates to the market being artificially high because of the unique nature of the Tesla customer. Tesla has also positioned the model S to somewhat straddle the large and mid sized luxury sedan market which also pulls sales from 5 series and E class level cars, probably even more so then from Camry and Prius. Model S share of this inflated market is 30+% if you remove the Prius and Camry and 5 series/E class converted customers assuming they are moving to the model 3, the share of the inflated market goes down, but the market also shrinks. It would be an interesting and a difficult effort to actually look at the sales of the large luxury sadan market over the past 5 years to determine an estimate of how much impact this model S inflation has had. In theory the market as a whole should shrink over the next 12 months as model S owners that used to be Prius owners downgrade. In that sense the model S percentage share will actually go up but it's a share of a smaller market. The good thing is that if you are doing to lose market share to someone, lose it to yourself. After 2018, then yes you could see Tesla's share eclipse 40 precent and others drop to 7-8% on the high end. But even the great model S will plateau unless car companies don't react and start going out of business, which could happen.

What I see is more differentiation between S and 3 and allowing fully optioned and thus higher margin 3 (compared to base S) to take on e class and 5 series all while improving margins for the model S as it goes further up market. Similar totals for cars sold at those levels but much better margins because the cars are appropriately fitting the segments. The allows Tesla to capture more of the meaty party of the market and hurt the competition more.

Only time will tell, but I see Tesla being more like Apple iPhone where they only have 34% market share in the US but 90+% of the profits

Seems that Tesla is cutting sales positions, transitioning some locations to pure service.

Effective immediately many Tesla stores will be permanently closed • r/teslamotors

It makes sense given that Tesla is going into a period where the vast majority of sales is pre-booked. They are cutting SG&A as a result.

According to Electrek's article, Tesla is moving around a few people in a little more than a handful of stores:

I wouldn't expect this to have much impact on SG&A; however, SG&A will decline in the next few months as, from what I understand, Tesla has been pretty aggressive in cutting SolarCity SG&A. I would expect some one-time termination-related (ie. severance? other?) expenses in 2Q17, and a larger drop in 3Q17.

The following are my SG&A:Revenue assumptions for the following few quarters:

upload_2017-7-8_9-26-15.png

2017 improvement is driven by SolarCity restructuring and 2018 decline is driven by top-line growth due to Model 3. My analysis primarily included studying trends in Apple's and other hyper-growth companies' SG&A:Revenue ratios as they grew throughout their history.

Last edited:
Elon makes fun of the coordinated bear attack :)

Elon Musk on Twitter
The thing is, it is one of the milder articles of the week....guess none of the others were written by a Charlie.

Excellent article from The Guardian. Best summary I've read of the symbolic importance of the S. Australia project, our trend of discounting facts and science in politics and public discourse and Elon's continued assault on the reality distortion imposed on people by politicians, utilities, big oil and those who want to maintain the status quo Because it benefits them personally at the expense of the community.
Elon Musk's big battery brings reality crashing into a post-truth world | Tim Hollo

Awareness has not been sufficiently priced in. People have "heard" of Tesla and have seen a few on the road. Driving one is another story.

"I will never buy a car without autopilot. Game changer."

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree* with you here.

Since I have an old, slow, blind 2013 car, I have no chance for Autopilot, and yet, "I will never buy another non-EV" because I believe the drivetrain itself (quiet, torquey and responsive, one-pedal driving) is the game changer.

* Mostly in jest... I do agree awareness is not there yet.

And where did the other 9000 cars go they produced but not delivered and are not in the pipeline?
The loaner / floor model fleet after usage gets sold as used inventory at big discounts. So this gap between produced and delivered will keep increasing as the inventory gets refreshed. Cost of doing business.

The loaner / floor model fleet after usage gets sold as used inventory at big discounts. So this gap between produced and delivered will keep increasing as the inventory gets refreshed. Cost of doing business.

Someone theorized, and it's a good theory and kind of brilliant, that they are wanting to use P100D because the margins on the car are so high that they can use them as loaner, test drive and floor models and still sell them at a profit as the refresh the fleet every couple of months. We have to guess on the difference in cost between the 100Ds and the P version but I imagine they can still sell them at a profit with 2 months and 4000 miles on them. Typically they take off $1000 a month and $1 a mile on trades so that would only be $6000 though they would probably have drop it another $7500 because the used sale won't get the tax credit, but that still only adds up to 10% of the original sticker price so much of the margin is still on tact. Maybe as much as 30% as the P versions have big margins.

Status
Not open for further replies.