Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off the top of my head, Tesla won't allow the use of their driverless technology unless both parties (owner and passenger) allow Tesla to facilitate the transaction. Plus, as I understand it, why would owners want to cut out Tesla? That would force the liability burden onto the owner instead of Tesla's deep pockets.

Yes, fair point. If Tesla has a monopoly in the autonomous driving space, they would still be covered. Tesla's small fee in their driverless cars would still be far more appealing than a P2P system which used all other non-autonomous cars.

But if there comes a time where there are 4 or 5 companies with FSD capabilities, Tesla is back at square one because a P2P system can still exist without Tesla's technology. Liability would be given to the other successful autonomous driving companies.

For the record, I do believe Tesla will have some kind of monopoly power in autonomous tech, but this blockchain argument really comes to life if Tesla doesn't.

• Helpful
Reactions: TMSE
Big difference vs being the driver(uber) and sending your car to drive somebody.

Send to Tesla network. Set it and forget it. Car operates maximally with minimal hassle.

Cut out Tesla and operate on your own?
Accept/decline incoming requests? (sort through them all) find out where your car is, which customer is closest, do a background check on the customer. And on and on. Oh my god no I don't want to babysit my car all day if I'm getting this for cash flow. Insurance would be a huge factor to me.

Yes. I think all this excitement of the applicability of blockchain to everything and their mother is a bit overdone. There is a marked complexity to our lives which is often forgotten about (or not even known) when these new ideas are attempted to be applied to non-related fields. Blockchain for "money" (bitcoin) has validity because the interaction is, well, simple. Add in insurance, liability, etc... well, it ain't so simple.

Yes, fair point. If Tesla has a monopoly in the autonomous driving space, they would still be covered. Tesla's small fee in their driverless cars would still be far more appealing than a P2P system which used all other non-autonomous cars.

But if there comes a time where there are 4 or 5 companies with FSD capabilities, Tesla is back at square one because a P2P system can still exist without Tesla's technology. Liability would be given to the other successful autonomous driving companies.

For the record, I do believe Tesla will have some kind of monopoly power in autonomous tech, but this blockchain argument really comes to life if Tesla doesn't.

The problem is the liability. Let's say P2P becomes a viable option because FSD is available on multiple cars. If you as the owner uses P2P to cut out your car manufacturer middleman (let's say Nissan Leaf Gen 5, or BMW i35) then YOU would be liable should the car get in an accident*, since you decided to cut out the middleman. The company would all say that their liability for the FSD only extends to you using their network, well if I was the company I would make that a condition at least.

* or something weird were to happen, since the cars should be safer and not get into accidents.

The problem is the liability. Let's say P2P becomes a viable option because FSD is available on multiple cars. If you as the owner uses P2P to cut out your car manufacturer middleman (let's say Nissan Leaf Gen 5, or BMW i35) then YOU would be liable should the car get in an accident*, since you decided to cut out the middleman. The company would all say that their liability for the FSD only extends to you using their network, well if I was the company I would make that a condition at least.

* or something weird were to happen, since the cars should be safer and not get into accidents.

That is a good point, and I don't think I have a clear enough picture of the future to offer a counterpoint. There really are so many ways autonomous driving could play out.

Either way, blockchain seems to be spreading across many industries and it just dawned on me that this should be a potential "Tesla Network disruptor" that I keep in the back of my mind

Reactions: GoTslaGo

There is going to be a government sanctioned company making cars with FSD capabilities that will want no compensation for the mobility services enabled by their system ?

I remember that hacker guy from Silicon Valley wanting to sell an autopilot system with parts he bought at Fry's and Best Buy for $500.

Then NHSTA came calling. And he bailed out.

In this world Property Management companies shouldn't exist. But they do.

It is one thing to use free open source Operating Systems.

If it crashed I don't risk dying.

If my autonomous car crashes I may very well die.

That is a good point, and I don't think I have a clear enough picture of the future to offer a counterpoint. There really are so many ways autonomous driving could play out.

Either way, blockchain seems to be spreading across many industries and it just dawned on me that this should be a potential "Tesla Network disruptor" that I keep in the back of my mind

Thanks for bringing this up! It is something I will keep in the back of my mind as well. Blockchains are becoming the new "it" thing that can theoretically disrupt many industries.

Reactions: green48
This may still be a few years off and I don't have perfect fundamental knowledge of this issue by any means, but is anyone here at all concerned about blockchain tech and DAOs disrupting Tesla's potential for a "Tesla Network"?

Some of the top blockchain guys I follow seem to believe Uber's model will die at the hands of blockchain. While most of us here would probably say that Tesla will beat Uber first, I don't think that really matters in the long run.

If the power of blockchain can be applied to shared rides, what is to say that Tesla will be able to compete there long-term?
Blockchain? Surely you jest. Please, tell me you're joking.

As a computer systems engineer, I see limited usability in blockchains. It's based on the basic functionality of crytography, and their ancillary services of authentication, authorization, and identification. None of these services addresses [edit] the issue of accidents and liability.

Who's responsible for the clean-up if the pet of a young passenger pees in your FSD car? If the passenger has had too much to drink and pukes all over? Any function/service that needs someone to assume liability, will be a function/service that won't be taken over by blockchains.

I think VA might have been a little distracted while making these calculations (TSLA was, after all, running up $13 at the time, so this would be quite understandable), but wouldn't these assumptions mean 32% to 36% margins? What's more, a little later in the thread, I believe techmaven was saying that he saw COGS closer to $200 when all costs were included (corresponding to a 25% margin).

Not sure where he said "closer to $200" but you're right about the first part. Regardless, what matters to the valuation is the margin once production is at scale, not "pilot plant" margins. $250/kWh price vs. $100/kWh cost is a lot more than 25% margin.

Reactions: everman
1m Tesla semi's going 300 miles using 600 kWh per day and charging up at Supercharger network priced at 10c/kWh (but costs 5c/kWh to Tesla) equates to more than $20B annual revenue and $10B annual gross profit in 2025.

I don't expect Tesla Semi to make up more than 5% overall revenue until after 2020.

Last edited:
Isn't 2MW too much to go just 500 miles even for a semi? I understand these semi's will be very heavy and all, but that's 35x of a model 3 battery which will go 235-245 miles?

If an ICE Semi gets 6 mpg that's 1/5th of an ice auto on the highway.

Using those two figure, we can estimate Tesla Semi should get 500 miles with 700 kWh of energy tops.

Agree? Disagree? Don't care?

I think 2MW is nuts but that is what people who know alot more then I do are saying the size of the battery has to be for long haul. I agree with you, but we are not exactly experts. Alot of good info in the semi threads from people who know more about this. No matter how you look at it, a Tesla semi will be fueled by Tesla energy and that's worth a lot of revenue and could be a lot of income if they can deploy solar at those locations or to offset those locations usage. It's best if the power is generated close to where it is used, but that doesn't mean that ever charger had to be supplied solely from the microgrid. As long as Tesla can work a deal with the utilities to supply solar somewhere in the network. I think for semi fueling stations you will have enough room and cheap enough and to build microgrids to support them. With City Superchargers for cars, it is a bit more challenging to find enough roof top space. It could be partnerships with local businesses to use their rooftops and space for pp2s in exchange for some cheap electricity, with the bulk of the generated electricity going to the closest Supercharger.

There is going to be a government sanctioned company making cars with FSD capabilities that will want no compensation for the mobility services enabled by their system ?

I remember that hacker guy from Silicon Valley wanting to sell an autopilot system with parts he bought at Fry's and Best Buy for $500.

Then NHSTA came calling. And he bailed out.

In this world Property Management companies shouldn't exist. But they do.

It is one thing to use free open source Operating Systems.

If it crashed I don't risk dying.

If my autonomous car crashes I may very well die.

Geohotz or George holtz comma.ai I think. He got famous for unlocking iPhones back in the day when that was the new thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.