Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest issue with these bear analysts is that they can't see very far. They are used to linear extrapolation on ordinary companies. So they just can't imagine how can Tesla make a lot of money in 2025. He was trying to do DFC, without proper future cashflow, how can he come to the proper stock price?

On top of that, I do believe stock manipulation is part of the intent.

Possibly the understatement of the year (or more)!

As a follow-up to my post above, I found an article (EV-Volumes - The Electric Vehicle World Sales Database) stating that 82 % of "new electric vehicles" sold in China during H1 2017 were all electric. So the 378,000 estimate for all of 2017 in the post above would be mostly all electric cars (82 % of 378,000 gives 310,000 all electric cars expected to be sold in China in 2017. As noted above, Tesla accounts for 8.6 % of the all electric car market in 2017. Therefore, based on sales to date and projected sales for the rest of this year, Tesla will sell ~26,600 cars in China in 2017. With a little more than 11,000 Teslas sold in China in 2016, we appear to be looking at more than twice those sales in 2017. On average, that would be almost 4,000 more cars per quarter.
From where are you getting "Tesla accounts for 8.6% of BEV market in China"? Is that an expectation based on selling 100k-200k M3 this year?
The data shows Tesla is at best 3.5% in 2016, and 4.3% in 2017 till July. Dividing these by 0.82 still makes them at most 5.3%.
China had a blockbuster month in August, so the overall number could be much higher. No idea what percent Tesla was in August.

2016 china total: EV Sales: China December 2016 (Updated)

2017 till July: EV Sales: China July 2017
china_july_2017.JPG

The data shows Tesla is at best 3.5% in 2016, and 4.3% in 2017 till July. Dividing these by 0.82 still makes them at most 5.3%.
China had a blockbuster month in August, so the overall number could be much higher. No idea what percent Tesla was in August.

BEVs != PHEVs.

In any case, when talking about China, I think we really need to break things into segments. Otherwise it is pretty meaningless.

The top selling EV in China this year is the Zhidou D2:

Zhidou-D2-EV.jpg

It has 12 kWh battery and a 55 mph top speed. In no way shape or form does this vehicle compete against anything Tesla is doing in China or elsewhere.

#2 on the list with a 20 kWh battery:

Auto-sales-statistics-China-BAIC-EC180-EV.png

The first one that is even remotely close is the BYD e5 with a 48 kWh battery, but it's LiFePO4. The next is the 33 kWh IEV 6S.

These really are not competitors. Besides, the market opportunity is massive in China. There are almost 2 million vehicles sold in July in China. Going to 8% mandate is 160,000 EVs per month, or almost a 4x increase in 2018.

BEVs != PHEVs.

In any case, when talking about China, I think we really need to break things into segments. Otherwise it is pretty meaningless.

The top selling EV in China this year is the Zhidou D2:

Zhidou-D2-EV.jpg

It has 12 kWh battery and a 55 mph top speed. In no way shape or form does this vehicle compete against anything Tesla is doing in China or elsewhere.

#2 on the list with a 20 kWh battery:

Auto-sales-statistics-China-BAIC-EC180-EV.png

The first one that is even remotely close is the BYD e5 with a 48 kWh battery, but it's LiFePO4. The next is the 33 kWh IEV 6S.

These really are not competitors. Besides, the market opportunity is massive in China. There are almost 2 million vehicles sold in July in China. Going to 8% mandate is 160,000 EVs per month, or almost a 4x increase in 2018.

Sorry, I missed it. Are you attempting to answer the question, or just trying to create a diversion?
The calculations @doctoxics posted are based on Tesle being 8.6% of total BEV sales in China. Doesn't matter what kWh pack they have. The question is, what's the basis of this 8.6% when data shows ~half of that?

If the 8.6% figure is wrong, then all estimates based on that are also wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buran
Tesla working with AMD on Autopilot chip: CNBC

Tesla is working with Advance Micro Devices Inc. AMD, +2.91% to produce a chip for its Autopilot, the car maker's suite of advanced driver-assistance systems, aiming to reduce Tesla's reliance on Nvidia Corp. NVDA, -1.59% according to a CBNC report that cited a source familiar with the matter. The report cited the same source saying more than 50 people are working under Jim Keller, the head of Autopilot, and Tesla has brought on several former AMD employees to work on the project, CNBC said. Tesla has developed its own ADAS software and related systems and relies on an onboard Nvidia AI "supercomputer." AMD shares rose 1.5% late Tuesday, while Tesla shares and Nvidia shares fell 0.1% and 0.6%.

To piggyback on this sentiment of the AMD/NVIDIA issue (I own both so not routing here): This makes the most sense to me. Tesla ultimately wants to keep the software *private*. GPUs from Nividia; chips for specific tasks from AMD.

Nvidia: Nevermind AMD ‘Noise,’ They’ll Be Fine, Says RBC

Funny that. I agree 110% with you hete. I have been telling the same thing for years (to you as well) : Tesla is exceptionally strong in turning out compelling EV cars that are much more than the sum of their parts (like batteries). As you certainly know, it's my main argument why I don't want Tesla to waste time with a mundane product like Tesla Energy.

But there are many here who don't see things this way. That build their argument on the fact that no one else has battery supply (the real bean counters). Those that say : "show me the Chinese battery factories" or "where is VW/BMW/... going to get their batteries" etc. And those posters of course are much alarmed when I simply tell them that they count their beans wrong. Because they don't see that even if Tesla were the smallest battery producer, it would still be turning out the most compelling EV's... And then they get all defensive when it turns out that China is mass producing batteries. It's just not making exciting products with it.

Unbelievably, you still do not get it. You are ***not*** agreeing with me, just repeating yourself and totally missing my point, which I explained several times now, and which is completely opposite to what you stated above. I guess I will have to come up with yet another way to explain it. Stay tuned.

I am genuinely surprised that you still missing my point, as this is a recurring discussion. It is absolutely clear that Tesla's differentiation is not a "miracle" of putting multiple parts together in a better way than competitors, it is their willingness and ability to ***reinvent*** these parts (including the batteries) to work together harmoniously. This is what I referred to as an optimization. Bottom up optimization to be precise. Other manufacturers, on another hand, farm out battery design. They likely attempt some top level optimization (the process I referred as putting black boxes together), but it just does not cut it. The final product is not even close to what is turned out by Tesla using bottom up optimization.

This is why your narrative of Tesla "wasting time with a mundane product like Tesla Energy" is just wrong.

The proof that bottom up optimization used by Tesla beats hands down the approach of top level optimization used by everybody else is right out there, but, like I said, one needs to remove the bean counter hat and dig just a little deeper to realize this. I've been posting about this many times, but somehow it does not sink in. This is at the core of Tesla huge competitive advantage.

Exhibit No.1 Only Tesla is able to come up with an 200+ mile EV that can be competitive specifications and cost wise with an ICE's in the same class. The main reason for this is Tesla's advantage in battery technology, achieved due to their willingness and ability to assert themselves and take complete ownership of the battery design and manufacturing. And please, let's stop fool ourselves with a talk of Panasonic batteries. Tesla does not use Panasonic batteries. They use battery cells designed by Tesla and manufactured by the Panasonic. Battery packs are both designed and manufactured by Tesla. So battery technology is Tesla's, not Panasonic's.

No Tesla competitor ever have done this or even demonstrated willingness to do it. That is why their EVs hundreds of pounds heavier than comparable ICE's, while having double the price of similar ICE vehicles.

***Other*** manufacturers are using Panasonic batteries, and none of them were able to produce compelling 200+ miles EV.

Exhibit No.2 I've posted comparison between the home battery offerings back in May of this year, and linked it many times since then. The PowerWall is far superior to anything out there: it has much lower cost, while including higher functionality, and, amazingly, still providing the best in class overall, complete unit energy density, by far. Once again clear Tesla's advantage is due to their bottom up optimization as well as willingness and ability to take complete ownership of the battery design.

So going back to the conversation about the competition and how all of the press releases and announcements are sounding quite hollow without addressing the core technological advantage Tesla has in batteries, in response to a question of where the batteries will be coming from, you triumphantly declare - from China. Even ignoring that the report you referred to, as was aptly demonstrated, is riddled with inaccuracies, just based on what is outlined above, this is such an absurd thing to say.

You are trying to draw comparison between the batteries from different manufacturers and Tesla as if you've got dozen of beans in front of you. Well, on the surface, they all might look similar, but one was genetically engineered to outperform all others, so you just can't compare and count them as if they are essentially the same.

Last edited:
That is why their EVs hundreds of pounds heavier than comparable ICE's,
EVs are always heavier than ICE cars, and that's the case for 3, S, and X as well. are you trying to imply that Tesla has an advantage with gravimetric specific energy for EV battery packs? If so I'd like to see some evidence because I read it was the other way for 3 vs bolt.

EVs are always heavier than ICE cars, and that's the case for 3, S, and X as well. are you trying to imply that Tesla has an advantage with gravimetric specific energy for EV battery packs? If so I'd like to see some evidence because I read it was the other way for 3 vs bolt.

Here is the evidence: Model 3 SR is essentially matching the weight of BMW with the same 0 to 60 time - 330i: 3549lbs for Model 3 vs 3541lbs for the BMW 330i.

I've been posting on this huge development - Tesla's attack on the EV weight penalty - for a while, but for those who missed my posts on the subject, this is the clearest manifestation of Tesla battery technology superiority. You will not find a single 200+ EV on sale anywhere in the world which matches weight of comparable ICE car. This is an ultimate 800lbs gorilla in the room.

As far as Bolt is concerned, even in comparison with slightly bigger and significantly faster Golf GTI (6.5s 0 to 60 for Bolt, 5.9s for GTI) Bolt weighs in at extra 532 lbs (3563lbs vs. 3031lbs).

The weight comparison of an EV vs similar ICE car is the most basic but accurate metric that can be used to evaluate and compare state of the battery technology used in an EV. No manufacturer in the world is able to match comparable ICE car weight except Tesla.

Last edited:
I've been posting on this huge development - Tesla's attack on the EV weight penalty - for a while, but for those who missed my posts on the subject, this is the clearest manufestation of Tesla battery technology superiority. You will not find a single 200+ EV on sale anywhere in the world which matches weight of comparable ICE car. This is an ultimate 800lbs gorilla in the room.

As far as Bolt is concern, even in comparison with slightly bigger and significantly faster Golf GTI (6.5s 0 to 60 for Bolt, 5.9s for GTI) Bolt weighs in at extra 532 lbs (3563lbs vs. 3031lbs).

The weight comparison of an EV vs similar ICE car is the most basic but accurate metric that can be used to evaluate and compare state of the battery technology used in an EV. No manufacturer in the world is able to match comparable ICE car weight except Tesla.

BTW, Model S is pretty close to weight parity with comparably sized ICE as well. MS 75D weighs only 216lbs more than smaller ICE car with the comparable performance - BMW 550i x (4647lbs vs. 4431lbs)

I am really looking forward to learn what would be the MS weight after it is redesigned to include new 2170 based battery pack. I suspect that after the update Tesla will get to weight parity for MS as well. Do not tell anybody...

I don't really care all that much, but of all the discussions you could have chosen to moderate in this thread, that's the one you chose? It was at least tangentially on topic.

And I still don't understand what you think is a red herring about the term finite natural resource.

Ditto. No lack of troll postings to choose from. Maybe a thread should be created for "Troll FUD Postings" so moderator will delete new ones they post on General Discussion going forward?

• Love
Reactions: MitchJi
Status
Not open for further replies.