Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-8_13-34-20.png
    upload_2017-11-8_13-34-20.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 78
Cross post from the energy project thread since this may be of general interest: Tesla has been selected to provide a 48 MWh/6MW storage solution to the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts, allowing them to forego installation of an expensive underseas cable. 48 MWh is significant (about 1/3 the size of the South Australia big battery in terms of MWh).

Tesla 48MWh battery eliminates need to build undersea cable in Massachusetts for up to 22 years

The battery solution is less than 1/3 of the cost for new undersea cable. About $30M vs. $100M. Ka-ching for National Grid...

A truck stop build out......hmmmm. I wonder what national truck stops Tesla could partner with??? Someone with tons of capital...an established interest in shipping goods. Experience in solar and electrical distribution a plus. Maybe an interest in hedging exposure to markets being disrupted - power generation, shipping, insurance. Who could check all those boxes?

Buffett bets big on Pilot Flying J truck stops, buys majority stake

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Krugerrand and AlMc
John McCain Confirms: Tax Reform Is "DOA In The Senate"

It’s official: The Republican tax reform bill is dead on arrival in the Senate now that John McCain has become the third Republican senator to confirm that he plans to vote against it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

EV Federal Tax Credit is safe for another year. At least until Congressional elections in Nov 2018.

It’s official: The Republican tax reform bill is dead on arrival in the Senate now that John McCain has become the third Republican senator to confirm that he plans to vote against it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

EV Federal Tax Credit is safe for another year. At least until Congressional elections in Nov 2018.

I don't believe we're out of the woods on this quite yet. I'll breathe a sigh of relief--for many reasons aside from the EV tax credit--once the bill is officially dead. But if and when it fails:

Hugely bullish for TSLA in the short-term to the extent that it obviates FUD about mass Model 3 cancellations due to the vanishing credit.

Hugely bullish for my wallet as it now seems likely I'll be taking delivery of my Model 3 in early 2018.

Slightly negative in the long-term as this means other automakers will continue to enjoy the subsidy long after Tesla burns through its allotment. I personally believe the disappearance of the tax credit would have been the nail in the coffin for so-called competition.

Probably negative on a macro level as many believe the broad-based strength in equities has been due to expectations of "business-friendly" tax policy making it through congress.

Reactions: EinSV

sure... but it's a double edged sword... EV credits still in place but macro collapses because all that green in the markets for the last 365 days was due to this. if there's a macro collapse, then "easy money" may dry up for Tesla. if that happens, that will be 100x worse than losing 100k EV credits. Tesla will be in a position where it will absolutely require another large cash injection by Feb. If that becomes difficult, expensive or impossible... then Tesla will be in an extreme risk situation.

this is why timing has been so important... "what's the big deal about a few months delay?"... or even 4 or 5 months?... well, it could mean they're completely screwed.

can you guys verify this?

the real reason why I ask is, why did they create bluetooth unlock features in the phone app for the M3 and then also recommend that you carry the "hotel" key with you. that's two attack vectors for zero gain. you have the key already. you also carry keys to your house. why did they create a hotel key and a phone app instead of sticking with traditional "keyless" access?

• Funny
Reactions: neroden

And ... Michigan Senator urges Congress to retain electric car tax credit
Didn't know Michigan Senators were so Tesla friendly ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.