Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post. The section on cash burn/capex for M3 raises some broader capex questions. I don't see any reason not to believe Depak that M3 capex will soon go to nearly 0, except I'm unsure what is req'd to go from 5K/wk production to 10K/wk. Will the production line(s) to produce 5K/wk be speeded up 2X more, or do a 2nd set of lines need to be built and brought online? If production line(s) need to be duplicated then M3 would still require substantial capex after end of Q1.

Let's say M3 capex is finished after Q1. How long will capex for all planned products stay low? Just considering Tesla transportation,
the following products/facilities need large amounts of capital to hit 2020 production goals.
1. Continuing build out of GF1 to reach 105 GWh by 2020.
2. A new and very large facility (or portion of an even larger one) to increase M3 way beyond 500K/yr and produce similar volumes of MY
3. Production lines for Semi, Roadster 2.
4. One or more add'l battery GFs to increase battery production beyond 105 GWh.

From postings by various members we have a good idea of revenue/profits likely in 2018 and 2019, assuming gross margin targets are 20 - 25% and M3 production reaches 250 - 300K in 2018 and 500K in 2019.

How much capital will be needed in 2018 and 2019 I think is much harder to estimate across 1 - 4, etc.
Does anyone believe they have good estimates for those and what facts and thinking supports those?
I doubt anyone knows, maybe not even Tesla. The CapEx required to go from 5k/wk to 10k/wk depends a lot on how much speed they can squeeze out of the existing production line. For example while fixing the battery module line at GGF, they came up with a design for zone 2 that can do 3X the throughput. They originally built 4 lines in zone 2, assuming it exactly meets 5k/wk, so each line is capable of 1250/wk. Now the redesigned line 4 can do 3750/wk, they will only need to re-build 1 of the 3 other lines to match line 4, and reach 10k/wk (1250*2 + 3750*2), and there is no need to expand to 8 lines as they would have originally planned to do, saving both equipment and factory floor space. These kind of input into planning is changing on a monthly basis as they continue to learn more about what the M3 production line is capable of.

I think Tesla won't allow themselves to run out of cash. They will push the ramp to 10k/wk as fast as their cash flow will allow. So if it looks more costly than their plan, then they may not make it by their original target date, but at a delayed date as the cash flow allows, which is pretty much Tesla SOP. If capital is available they will tap it and add more cash that way. I think we will get guidance in Feb's conf call, but I fully expect Tesla to tweak it constantly going forward.

Reactions: EinSV and Thumper
You know, you really do the whole satirical cynical comedy routine very well. BRAVO!

At first when I read your bearish posts, saw your negative spin of every development, your dogged determination to ignore the positive aspects of developments, etc... I figured you for a short investor. Then when I saw the deluge of folks decrying your participation her and advocating for putting you on "ignore" or even banning you, I then concluded you must actually be a paid shill.

But now that I continue being entertained by your posts here, I've come to realize the genius of your comedy routine. I have to say the sheer absurdity of what you post, along with the incredibly serious tone with which you post it, is perfectly executed. It takes real skill to finely hone your craft such that only a small percentage of readers catch on to the gag. BRILLIANT!

So thanks, myusername, for such entertainment. I look forward seeing how you'll manage to weave even more ridiculous conclusions in to your posts with that stone-cold delivery, and then will giggle knowingly when I watch these other suckers falling for it.

2018 will be great!

Signed-

-Your Biggest Fan

I see myusername vs. Tesla similar to the Black Knight vs. King Arthur. At some point in 2018, we will get to the denouement of this skit -- e.g. "Oh I see... running away eh... you yellow bastard, come back here and take what's coming to you... I'll bite your legs off."

Tesla will have some Deferred Tax Assets that it has accumulated in the last several years to negate its taxable income for another year following 2Q18, but thereafter, it will be one of the best companies to put the lower corporate tax rate to good use

Can you explain why it's just a year? NOLs can be carried forward 20 years. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1139.pdf

The most recent quarterly report said: "As of September 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016, the aggregate balances of our gross unrecognized tax benefits were $300.0 million and $203.9 million, respectively, of which $292.9 million and $198.3 million, respectively, would not give rise to changes in our effective tax rate since these tax benefits would increase a deferred tax asset that is currently fully offset by a valuation allowance."

Also, the tax benefits and off-setting valuation allowance appear to be in the $ billion since they increased by nearly a billion when a new accounting standard about employee share based compensation was adopted:

"We adopted the ASU on January 1, 2017. Our gross U.S. deferred tax assets increased by $909.1 million as a result of our adoption, which was fully offset by a corresponding increase to our valuation allowance."

Last edited:
Can you explain why it's just a year? NOLs can be carried forward 20 years. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1139.pdf

The most recent quarterly report said: "As of September 30, 2017 and December 31, 2016, the aggregate balances of our gross unrecognized tax benefits were $300.0 million and $203.9 million, respectively, of which $292.9 million and $198.3 million, respectively, would not give rise to changes in our effective tax rate since these tax benefits would increase a deferred tax asset that is currently fully offset by a valuation allowance."

Tesla's total historical loss until it turns profitable in 2018 will be offset by the accumulated profits by the end of 2019.

Reactions: kenliles
The biggest challenge I see for Tesla in Norway is selling the Model 3 on utility. Having a optional tow hitch and roof box will help a lot, but in general sedans aren't very popular here. I hope Tesla has time to bring out the Model Y and start selling it in Norway before the VAT-exemption is phased out. Then we should see some *really* crazy numbers. The Model Y is likely to be quite perfect for the Norwegian market.

While I'm sure the incentives account for a great amount of the high MS, MX sales, and Norway is pretty unique, I still think it shows as well what to expect when the majority of people in a prosperous country are fully aware of Tesla, it's products and mission. If this is correct, the M3 reservation backlog (and reservation fees) should skyrocket starting in 2nd half of 2018.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Nice predictions and positive cash flow expected but still a linear ramp anticipated versus the exponential one EM is working for.... it seems hard for the human brain to imagine....

"Jonas forecasts Tesla will deliver 8,000 Model 3s in Q1, 24,000 in Q2, 32,000 in Q3 and 46,000 in Q4. Morgan Stanley predicts the company’s cash burn will improve significantly in the first quarter and that it will report positive free cash flow of $600 million in Q2."
Tesla Could Jump 70% on Model 3 Success: Analysts

Last edited:
I doubt anyone knows, maybe not even Tesla. The CapEx required to go from 5k/wk to 10k/wk depends a lot on how much speed they can squeeze out of the existing production line. For example while fixing the battery module line at GGF, they came up with a design for zone 2 that can do 3X the throughput. They originally built 4 lines in zone 2, assuming it exactly meets 5k/wk, so each line is capable of 1250/wk. Now the redesigned line 4 can do 3750/wk, they will only need to re-build 1 of the 3 other lines to match line 4, and reach 10k/wk (1250*2 + 3750*2), and there is no need to expand to 8 lines as they would have originally planned to do, saving both equipment and factory floor space. These kind of input into planning is changing on a monthly basis as they continue to learn more about what the M3 production line is capable of.

I think Tesla won't allow themselves to run out of cash. They will push the ramp to 10k/wk as fast as their cash flow will allow. So if it looks more costly than their plan, then they may not make it by their original target date, but at a delayed date as the cash flow allows, which is pretty much Tesla SOP. If capital is available they will tap it and add more cash that way. I think we will get guidance in Feb's conf call, but I fully expect Tesla to tweak it constantly going forward.

Great reply, thanks! Only point I think may be off is assuming the multi zone battery module line, where a zone that is slow compared to others can be split into several sub zones so as to keep up, can be applied to the more complex and large size full car assembly line.
Perhaps it can, not sure. I'm still a bit skeptical that the full car assembly line able to output 5K/week can be sped up to do 10K, given 5K is such an advance over MS/X assembly line.

Great reply, thanks! Only point I think may be off is assuming the multi zone battery module line, where a zone that is slow compared to others can be split into several sub zones so as to keep up, can be applied to the more complex and large size full car assembly line.
Perhaps it can, not sure. I'm still a bit skeptical that the full car assembly line able to output 5K/week can be sped up to do 10K, given 5K is such an advance over MS/X assembly line.

Regarding CapEx, I'd be surprised if they took their foot off the growth pedal anytime soon. We were all hoping for FCF positive right when the 400,000 reservations came along, with the resulting 2 year move-up of the GF/3.

Not seeing profits as long as cash is available.

Reactions: Off Shore
Nice predictions and positive cash flow expected but still a linear ramp anticipated versus the exponential one EM is working for.... it seems hard for the human brain to imagine....

"Jonas forecasts Tesla will deliver 8,000 Model 3s in Q1, 24,000 in Q2, 32,000 in Q3 and 46,000 in Q4. Morgan Stanley predicts the company’s cash burn will improve significantly in the first quarter and that it will report positive free cash flow of $600 million in Q2."
Tesla Could Jump 70% on Model 3 Success: Analysts
More conservative than I imagined. He was on target for this year and early on in the year. I hope he’s off a quarter and 24,000 in Q1.

Status
Not open for further replies.