Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see myusername vs. Tesla similar to the Black Knight vs. King Arthur. At some point in 2018, we will get to the denouement of this skit -- e.g. "Oh I see... running away eh... you yellow bastard, come back here and take what's coming to you... I'll bite your legs off."

Mod: very close to insulting another member, which is taboo. --ggr

Mod: very close to insulting another member, which is taboo. --ggr
Being a member should not shield one from ridicule when presenting ridiculous viewpoints, bear or bull. I have to say I'm not liking the new direction moderation seems to be taking, or, more to the point, continued travel in the wrong direction. Mods seem intent on protecting a single continuously disruptive individual, to the detriment of the entire forum. I've never seen anything like it in all my years on this or any other message board and it's quite troubling.

I only see one in that thread. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I do see 2 now actually. One poster is getting his Friday.
Gasdoc, FredTMC, rceldib,daboys2007,bradleybang, etc. etc.
Yea, I'm looking for the big number, like 500 or 600 before eoy for non-emp deliveries. Something material. I'm hoping total m3 deliveries for 2017 will be around 2500.

There are 11 days left of 2017 and if you look at this thread - Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside cars aren't moving off the lot very fast.

Last edited:
Being a member should not shield one from ridicule when presenting ridiculous viewpoints, bear or bull. I have to say I'm not liking the new direction moderation seems to be taking, or, more to the point, continued travel in the wrong direction. Mods seem intent on protecting a single continuously disruptive individual, to the detriment of the entire forum. I've never seen anything like it in all my years on this or any other message board and it's quite troubling.

My impression has been very different. I don't dare say anything negative about Tesla, no matter how legit it may be, in this thread. To do so will get you immediately labeled a troll / bear / short.

That member can be ignored. However, you still have a group of people that feel the need to spend pages arguing with every post that member makes. That is more disruptive and that is feeding any potential troll.

I'm always happy when I see moderation that attempts to be even handed without showing bias.

While I'm sure the incentives account for a great amount of the high MS, MX sales, and Norway is pretty unique, I still think it shows as well what to expect when the majority of people in a prosperous country are fully aware of Tesla, it's products and mission. If this is correct, the M3 reservation backlog (and reservation fees) should skyrocket starting in 2nd half of 2018.

Tesla and EVs in general are going to be the shiny new toy that everyone must have. Before the model 3, The barrier had been price with only a very few long range EVs and only Tesla's with a decent charging network. Now the barrier to entry is Tesla producing enough model 3s. Once Tesla can get to 5-10k/w, they can duplicate that for 3 and Y would wide. I certainly thing competition will respond, though I feel they won't be able to catch up because it's really not in their nature. Their nature is to to go slow and iterate while maximizing their existing platforms and tech. All a recipe for disaster. They also have enormous issues with dealers and existing employee/unions that will make the transition extremely painful and difficult.

Reactions: Waiting4M3
I've been trying to find a way to explain the sheer amplitude spike of the activity Tesla has taken on this year. Think I found that out at the Internet Archive. If you had to use an analogy, the heat is bubbling and about to rise to the top and out soon.
Screen Shot 2017-12-20 at 5.12.38 PM.png

Sure, they're burning through a lot of cash, but they're using it to do a ton.

where is the dialog from this board on this company?... maybe I missed it... full charge in 1 hr vs MX 4hr?... 83% of the range of the MX... uses Mobileye's chips... half the price of the MX?

what's up with this guys... what happened to the years of "moat"?

NIO - Home

EDIT: what happens if they make a small sedan and actually sell it for $30k?

Last edited:
My impression has been very different. I don't dare say anything negative about Tesla, no matter how legit it may be, in this thread. To do so will get you immediately labeled a troll / bear / short.

Legit criticism is welcomed. The problem is that many of us have already heard most criticisms, so when someone relatively new to Tesla pops up and thinks they have some amazing new insight it's actually redundant and boring.

That member can be ignored. However, you still have a group of people that feel the need to spend pages arguing with every post that member makes. That is more disruptive and that is feeding any potential troll.

Except it's exactly what the troll wants, so in fact it is the troll who is disruptive. The solution is simple, remove the disruptive element. We have always done so in the past and the board was better for it. There are plenty of other sites to hear all sorts of repetitive negativity about Tesla, I visit them on occasion, but we don't need this place to be another one of them.

I'm always happy when I see moderation that attempts to be even handed without showing bias.
I'm happy to see that as well. That's not what I'm seeing in this case.

Tesla releases Model 3 warranty with new 70% battery capacity retention guarantee

70% retention of battery capacity guaranteed for the warranty period (the first to come of 8 years time or 100K or 120K miles driven depending on SR or LR).

I'm not a fan of this decision. Though the guarantee is more than the Bolt or the Leaf, I think we are very likely to see quite a few articles misrepresenting this as if it were Tesla expecting a 220 mile Model 3 to be a 154 mile Model 3 in what will likely be presented as a short time. Talk down Tesla and the Model 3 and not mention anything about the Bolt or Leaf guarantees. Those that want to do this know they can and wont be called out on it. When was the last time you saw any media call out other media for writing grossly misleading stories about Tesla?

What's more, this may turn into a false talking point we see in the likes of SA blogs, and comment sections everywhere for years to come. Bears who've done more homework will twist this further into... with real world climate variation and driving speeds, you're talking about a 100 mile range, lame,...

It seems Tesla could have easily set this at 80%, and perhaps 85% with a very small percent of batteries needing to be replaced at Tesla's expense.

I've been trying to find a way to explain the sheer amplitude spike of the activity Tesla has taken on this year. Think I found that out at the Internet Archive. If you had to use an analogy, the heat is bubbling and about to rise to the top and out soon.
View attachment 267842

Sure, they're burning through a lot of cash, but they're using it to do a ton.

for what it's worth, Tesla (the company) didn't own tesla.com until recently (like last year).

Nice predictions and positive cash flow expected but still a linear ramp anticipated versus the exponential one EM is working for.... it seems hard for the human brain to imagine....
"Jonas forecasts Tesla will deliver 8,000 Model 3s in Q1, 24,000 in Q2, 32,000 in Q3 and 46,000 in Q4. Morgan Stanley predicts the company’s cash burn will improve significantly in the first quarter and that it will report positive free cash flow of $600 million in Q2."
Tesla Could Jump 70% on Model 3 Success: Analysts

Total 110k Model-3 cars in 2018 expected by him.

Also in that link :
“A stronger balance sheet, along with “larger numbers of the Model 3 in the hands of customers (for enjoyment) and OEMs (for tear-down) could drive a very sharp upward move in equity price,” wrote Jonas.
The analyst indicated that Tesla’s shares could rise another 71% over the next 12 months to reach $561

IMHO the takeaway from that is that even when just reaching this conservative average of 2300 cars per week in 2018, the SP (accoording to this analyst) could jump to $561.
And that for just reaching equal to MS/MX production levels !

Imagine what a, not at all impossible, average of 7k/week (340k/year) Model-3 deliveries would do to his model.
Would get us into TT007 / VA predicted territory :cool:.

Last edited:
Just a quick service announcement for those of you travelling through Europe. Tesla will finally be opening the first Supercharger in Hungary! We`ve been a black hole on the Tesla map until now, but the local Ev site i recently started contributing to just got exclusive info and pics on the first location being built at Gyor (M1 highway road 82 intersection at an OMV petrol station), halfway between Vienna, Austria and Budapest, Hungary. Yay!

4 stalls should be opened by EOY and 10-12 more next year.

BTW Gyor is where the Hungarian Audi factory is located so at least they`ll be able to charge the Teslas they test. :p

Link for those of you speaking the language or daring google translate.
View attachment 266541
And just like that, Supercharger #2 is now open as well! I'll post more details about this in a more appropriate thread, but here are the highlights:
  • SC#1 opened last week is outside Gyor, at an OMV petrol station on the M1 highway, halfway between Vienna and Budapest.
  • SC#2 was opened yesterday with 4 stalls operational on the M7 highway at the Istvan Parkhotel & Restaurant, Sormas, outside of the city of Nagykanizsa, 18 km from the Croatian border. It's a 124 km drive to the next SC in Zagreb on the south and 220 km to Budapest on the North
  • shortest distance between the 2 superchargers is 195 km if you just want to "get through Hungary"
superchargers_hungary.png

Last edited:
"Jonas forecasts Tesla will deliver 8,000 Model 3s in Q1, 24,000 in Q2, 32,000 in Q3 and 46,000 in Q4.

What does Jonas know that we don't for him to remain so bearish on Model 3 ramp up? It was easy to dismiss him 6 months ago as the first car rolled out of the factory on time. But he turned out to be right on the money wrt 2017 deliveries at a measly few thousands tops. Was that a lucky shot or is the information analysts get in private management meetings much more pertinent than what we get through reading the tea leaves on Elon's public statements?

I am also having difficulty reconciling a low 8000 deliveries of the M3 with 'much improved cash burn' in Q1. It will help some, but all else being equal not nearly enough to make a serious dent. Or is not all else equal next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.