Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So... I think there is a lull in Supercharger build out. Which, to me, means this is a high capex quarter, as expected for Model 3 production spending. To me, Tesla cuts Supercharger capex when they have high capex elsewhere. Maybe. Well, it's something I look out for which may mean something, may not.
They're supposed to open a new service center (and store I think) in Portland, OR. There's a billboard saying it will open Winter 2016. It's not open yet. It looks like they still have quite a bit of work left, so this lines up with your theory of capex going elswhere.

Jenny Messerly, a software engineer in the Bay Area, canceled her Model 3 order over the weekend.

“While I would like to help fund technological progress to fight climate change, as an LGBT American, raw survival is now the main concern,” she told BuzzFeed. “Learning of Elon Musk’s relationship with Trump was the decisive factor for me.”

She said she was surprised to see Musk serving as an adviser to Trump, particularly on two separate councils. “Two is certainly worse than one, in that it indicates deeper ties,” Messerly said.

----

So if there were two Model 3's reserved by a miss Jenny Messerly, she'd cancel both of them!

One for each council!

5, $1000 deposits? LOL.

I'd add $5k to my down payment to take delivery sooner.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
For shorts, I am a retired US Army Officer with three years enlisted time. Despite the hate focused at women, the poor, the physically sick, the public teachers, minority's, and the elderly collecting social security. I am not an elitist, a politician or a village idiot; no, I give a damn.

We may or may not cancel our M3 reservation when bumping up to a MX in August 2017 ~ put that in your pipe and smoke it. We want to pass ownership of the 3 to our son-in-law & daughter ~ our six year old grandpup (granddaughter) keeps asking her parents what they are doing to save/preserve the environment:D got love that kid!

MajorBS

Last edited:

I think these points are worth noting, (and, perhaps a useful response to any shorts trying to paint this as if it is some massive stumble)

“It’s a pretty narrow miss on Tesla’s part,” said David Zuby, chief research officer for the insurer-funded group [the group that conducts the testing]. “Head contact, while it is a concern, is not a big enough concern that we called it anything less than acceptable.”

and

"IIHS plans to test an updated Model S in the coming weeks, which Tesla expects to earn “the highest possible rating in every category” and be eligible for the Top Safety Pick award, the Palo Alto-based company said in a statement."

"To address the problem, Tesla said it made a production line change in January that it expects to address the issue."

The almost 5 year old structure just barely missed the IHS top safety pick standard and it already has been corrected. The modified Model S structure will be tested shortly.
Structure was fine and held up well. Problem was seatbelt/airbag interaction.

Reactions: FredTMC
Reactions: madodel
Structure was fine and held up well. Problem was seatbelt/airbag interaction.

Re read the article. Said structure performed well enough to pass test but didn't. Seat belts allowed the torso to move too far forward.

Then it said Tesla made production line changes to address the issue. But article doesn't specify what changes were made.

Not clear to me but people can read the source material and judge for themselves.

Reactions: neroden
Re read the article. Said structure performed well enough to pass test but didn't. Seat belts allowed the torso to move too far forward.

Then it said Tesla made production line changes to address the issue. But article doesn't specify what changes were made.

Not clear to me but people can read the source material and judge for themselves.
I just read the details.
Vehicle details

The Structure on the small overlap test was rated Good, their best rating. Max intrusion at any point was only 4 cm. IIHS had this to say about the small overlap results: "The dummy's position in relation to the door frame, steering wheel, and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained very well."

Are we reading different things?

Like I said, the structure was fine and had nothing to do with it only getting Acceptable in that test. It was strictly due to seatbelt/airbag interaction. Quick easy fix and possibly retrofit-able.

Status
Not open for further replies.