Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
...in a tweet about a non-publicly-traded company. More than interesting--byzantine!

Watch for "stormy weather in Shortsville"

Elon Musk is capable of doing anything at any time with "Musk Industries".
This includes mergers and acquisitions, capital raises, minority investments and the like...

Be short at your own risk. If your just a paid shill, just keep it up. You have no skin in the game and you help moderate SP.

Much thanks.

Watch for "stormy weather in Shortsville"

Elon Musk is capable of doing anything at any time with "Musk Industries".
This includes mergers and acquisitions, capital raises, minority investments and the like...

Be short at your own risk. If your just a paid shill, just keep it up. You have no skin in the game and you help moderate SP.

Much thanks.
About the only thing I'm confident in saying about this announcement is that it is not SpaceX taking Tesla private.

SpaceX just doesn't have the dollars to do it. I would also argue there is limited logic in it having anything to do with Tesla at all. SpaceX is still a long way from achieving their mission statement and needs its dollars for that. I suppose taking a minority stake in Tesla makes some sense though, right before Model 3 is about to launch TSLA into the stratosphere.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Mostly Elon was spot on in responding to UAW "concerns". But the part regarding total compensation is kind of BS. People don't want to gamble with their salary. The right value to be placed upon stock options is some complicated Black-Scholes formula, but for somebody living on their paycheck the right value is zero. Sure it might be lucrative eventually, but it also might be nothing. Not to be counted on.

If Elon's so sure it's a good bet, he should put the options in a company account and just pay people more. But he doesn't want to do that, he wants everybody to be invested in the success of the company, which is understandable. But I don't think it's achievable this way. Forcing people to be part of his gamble will alienate many. Just paying people more will make everybody happy and motivated not to lose their job.

What exactly do you disagree with? I only posted a fact - you can't disagree with a fact - just click the dang link. It indeed is true. Or are you just saying you don't like the post because it doesn't fit with your narrative?

I can answer this. What's to disagree with is that it's just more hyperventilating about nothing important. Does Tesla have a problem? Obviously. Has Tesla done anything serious to fix it? Obviously not yet. Will this problem exist a year from now? Ah, that's the key issue, isn't it?

So what do we know? As of a few days ago, we know that Tesla has said it will double the number of supercharger locations in North America in 2017. Currently, the pace of new supercharger buildout is at a historic low. In December in a Twitter conversation with Fred Lambert, Elon wrote "There are some [solar arrays at superchargers] installed already, but full rollout really needs Supercharger V3 and Powerpack V2, plus SolarCity. Pieces now in place." and regarding V3: "A mere 350 kW ... what are you referring to, a children's toy?".

These are all facts regarding Tesla's intent. So what can we conclude from this? If you trust Tesla you'll think that they're about to go big with new technology superchargers. Probably faster charging, probably less reliant on the grid, certainly addressing existing problems, and likely improving manufacturability and installation issues. When? Tesla soon. But certainly in time for Model 3. If you don't trust Tesla then all you see is problems and no solution happening.

It's pretty obvious where you stand. If you don't trust Tesla you'll be much happier owning some other car. Meanwhile, you can be pretty sure that all your posts that come from a perspective of not trusting Tesla will generate much disagreement from those of us who do.

Forcing people to be part of his gamble will alienate many.

Nobody is being forced to gamble. Every employee had an opportunity to not submit a resume, not be interviewed, and not take a job. And last I knew, people were falling all over themselves to work at Tesla making your alienation comment a bunch of sugar.

Nobody is being forced to gamble. Every employee had an opportunity to not submit a resume, not be interviewed, and not take a job. And last I knew, people were falling all over themselves to work at Tesla making your alienation comment a bunch of sugar.
Sorry, but people working for Tesla are being forced to gamble. Of course they don't have to work for Tesla, but if they do they have no choice but to gamble. If Tesla does that, then they should value the stock options at zero until the proceeds are actually in people's pockets. And even then they can't predict the future -- you know the whole "past returns are no guarantee" thing.

They're playing with fire if they rely on that and then the stock is down for an extended time and people start screaming about promises. They really don't want to go there. California is pretty strong on worker protection and the assumption is going to be that the workers were too stupid to understand that it was a gamble.

Sorry, but people working for Tesla are being forced to gamble. Of course they don't have to work for Tesla, but if they do they have no choice but to gamble.

If a person doesn't want to take the risk involved, don't apply for a job there and don't accept a job offer. Pretty simple. No forcing of anything involved.

I suppose taking a minority stake in Tesla makes some sense though, right before Model 3 is about to launch TSLA into the stratosphere.

Interesting. Enough of a stake to derisk and fund the Model 3 ramp without a capital raise? That would turn out to be a good ROI for SpaceX a few years down the line.

Is that possible/legal?

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
If a person doesn't want to take the risk involved, don't apply for a job there and don't accept a job offer. Pretty simple. No forcing of anything involved.
Sure. But the presumption will be that the workers didn't understand that there was a risk involved. It's not normal for there to be a risk related to stock price, at least not for line workers. The employment law and worker protection people will have lots of fun with that and Tesla will get in big trouble. It's pointless.

About SpaceX, I think it's this: "The U.S. Air Force says the demonstration of an automated safety system on last week’s Falcon 9 rocket launch will slash and costs and hasten turnarounds between missions" Auto-destruct system seen as a key to ramping up launch tempos – Spaceflight Now

Cool! So does this system only apply to SpaceX launches? Are other companies like Blue Origin limited to longer turn-around times until they are able to develop a similar system? It was a bit hard to tell from the article (while watching the Oscars).

Status
Not open for further replies.