Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They've successfully kicked the transition down the road for 20 years. Why would they think that some Silicon Valley Startup is a reason to maybe stop kicking and try?

Sure, they had reason to look at the EV1 20 years ago and say, there was a market for that caliber of EV. Looking at the Model S in 2012/13, they had reason to realize, that the market will be a Tesla caliber EV (by this I mean basic performance and range, not Model S size or luxury). I think the vast majority of automakers have realized this by at least 2014. They've simply also realized that pushing off as far as possible the implosion of their ICE business is more appealing to them than transitioning to EVs, Tesla taking 5% market share in several years of an auto market expanding by 10+% notwithstanding.

I recall Elon mentioning many times before that he's expecting the Energy portion of the business (i.e. Powerwall/pack, solar roof, etc.) to be 50% of Tesla's core business at some point in the future. Anyone recall exactly what timeframe Elon was hinting at when making this comment? 2020 before Model 3 expanded ramp? 2025?

I suspect he means 50% of battery production will go to TE, rather than TE making as much total revenue as the auto business. There has been no explicit guidance on this and my impression of course may be mistaken.

Reactions: neroden
Got it - the estimated date of TE and Auto parity is what I'm trying to nail down for my model. If I assume 2025 and 250bn of revenue from the auto side (on about 4m units sold) then that extrapolates out to $500bn of revenue, and using 12% EBIT to Revenue ratio and a 20 P/E multiple we get a very pretty number using today's shares outstanding.

I think that's a rather risky interpretation of Elon's comments (see prior post).

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Got it - the estimated date of TE and Auto parity is what I'm trying to nail down for my model. If I assume 2025 and 250bn of revenue from the auto side (on about 4m units sold) then that extrapolates out to $500bn of revenue, and using 12% EBIT to Revenue ratio and a 20 P/E multiple we get a very pretty number using today's shares outstanding.
this is why TSLA is so stupid right now... people are just making numbers up.

4m cars in 2025?... sounds great... and that brings in $250m... with an ASP of $62,500/car?... get that model prepped... totally makes sense... it's pretty much a given that TSLA replace Mercedes, BMW and Audi... no risks there... oh... and somehow they'll get everyone of their customers to just simply give them more money.

and then of course... find your 'parity' with TE... that virtually non-existent business line that was supposed to bring in 2 billion dollars this year... according to Elon Musk... how much in Q1?

and then when you're done... come back here and tell any short you can that they just don't get it... because they don't have a model.

I suspect he means 50% of battery production will go to TE, rather than TE making as much total revenue as the auto business. There has been no explicit guidance on this and my impression of course may be mistaken.

Steve, I haven't tracked down the annual meeting transcript but am confident that Elon's statement/speculation was that TE revenue in the future would be about equal to TA revenue. "Real time" discussion on TMC is here: Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

I think it is quite probable consumers outside of China will be more open to try a Chinese EV than otherwise as they are irked by the likely to continue feet dragging strategy by the likes of Toyota, Ford, etc. i.e., that these global giants might actually be offering such EVs in China but not in the U.S. or Europe would just add to the irritation/desire to look elsewhere, including Chinese built vehicles.

You don't crash at 60 mph or more with your family inside a huawei smartphone.

Chinese built vehicles by established car companies will see some reluctance in the marketplace.

Chinese branded vehicles built by brand new Chinese companies unheard of in Western markets will see extreme skepticism. They will probably target fleet sales first. Where people making the buying decision don't actually have to drive the vehicles.

4m cars in 2025?... sounds great... and that brings in $250m... with an ASP of $62,500/car?... get that model prepped... totally makes sense... it's pretty much a given that TSLA replace Mercedes, BMW and Audi... no risks there... oh... and somehow they'll get everyone of their customers to just simply give them more money.

and then of course... find your 'parity' with TE... that virtually non-existent business line that was supposed to bring in 2 billion dollars this year... according to Elon Musk... how much in Q1?

and then when you're done... come back here and tell any short you can that they just don't get it... because they don't have a model.

Two questions:

Did you cover your "perfect short" initiated at $326 yet?

When is the "next stop $270" coming?

My personal opinion is that right now is a time to be cautious. Expectations were high in July 2015 when the stock peaked at $291 and then there was disappointment with the X launch.

Now we are in an analogous period before the 3 launch and there is again risk for disappointment. The car is easier to build of course but the volume targets are much higher.

Next time I buy shares will be when Elon shows me solid progress.

I also would like to see solid model s and x demand before I buy more shares. This was not clear on the call.

And of course I want to know where funding for new gigafactories is coming from.

Still optimistic about the future but Frankly surprised we are above 300 after the drop last week.

Of course there may be a lot we don't know that might explain the strong share price and maybe tencent is playing a role.

My personal opinion is that right now is a time to be cautious. Expectations were high in July 2015 when the stock peaked at $291 and then there was disappointment with the X launch.

Now we are in an analogous period before the 3 launch and there is again risk for disappointment. The car is easier to build of course but the volume targets are much higher.

Next time I buy shares will be when Elon shows me solid progress.

I also would like to see solid model s and x demand before I buy more shares. This was not clear on the call.

And of course I want to know where funding for new gigafactories is coming from.

Still optimistic about the future but Frankly surprised we are above 300 after the drop last week.

Of course there may be a lot we don't know that might explain the strong share price and maybe tencent is playing a role.

A big difference between now and July 2015 is that expectations are now low:

I estimate that, at $300 per share, Mr. Market expects 500k cars in 2020 at 5% NI margin and assigns zero value to TE.

Last edited:
A big difference between now and July 2015 is that expectations are now low:

I estimate that, at $300 per share, Mr. Market expects 500k cars in 2020 and assigns zero value to TE.

But there is no solid evidence in my mind that TE should be assigned value at this point. What evidence do we have of strong demand for a product with high margins not threatened by competition. Not much.

But there is no solid evidence in my mind that TE should be assigned value at this point. What evidence do we have of strong demand for a product with high margins not threatened by competition. Not much.

There clearly is very strong demand for the general industry to grow. What is unclear is if the demand will channel to Tesla's products.

I think that it will due to Tesla's cost advantage (ie. scale), engineering expertise around designing/incorporating inverters, brand value etc.

you may want to check your math

You don't crash at 60 mph or more with your family inside a huawei smartphone.

Chinese built vehicles by established car companies will see some reluctance in the marketplace.

Chinese branded vehicles built by brand new Chinese companies unheard of in Western markets will see extreme skepticism. They will probably target fleet sales first. Where people making the buying decision don't actually have to drive the vehicles.

I agree about such skepticism Rob (fwiw, I've written as much explicitly on TMC in the past, for example, in the thread/post describing a fractured tipping scenario for long range EVs). My point is, the incumbent automakers are likely to take years off of the process of the Chinese automakers overcoming that skepticism if the bulk of them (non-Chinese incumbents) continue to effectively milk their ICE investments as long as long possible with little regard for emerging demand for long range EVs.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.