Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what a heads up display that covers the whole windshield like people are imagining, would look like from the passenger seat? If it was visible, it would be wildly annoying to see a bunch of stuff projected in the wrong place and maybe weirdly distorted looking? ..

I also have a hard time imagining a HUD being really desirable in a self driving car, no mater how good it was. I feel like for me, as soon as my car can drive itself, I will want to be either messing with my phone/computer, or watching the world go by distraction free. Not watching the reflection of a movie 30' in front of my car, with the highway fully visible in the background.

First thing, the car and HUD will be focused on the driver. Personally I couldnt care less about what a passenger might feel about my driver-information which increase my ability to drive safely. They can look out their side window, or on their phone. :)

Seond, in autonomous mode - the HUD should be turned off. Why would it continue to display information if noone need it?

I am very curious about what level of involvement Grohmann has had, if any, as a contractor in the development of the GF1 and M3 0.5 production lines. Unfortunately I don't think there is any way to find out.

Tesla worked with Grohmann a year or so in advance of Tesla buying the company. They will be as involved with M3 as needed is my guess.

As was noted above, when the majority of the population have FSD cars (or otherwise personally directly benefit) from autonomous cars, then the political will changes quickly.

You are of course correct about business's calculations and the effect on consumers absent Agent Orange's strategy regarding the institutions mentioned below.

The political will is already changing and will do more after some of its wildest dreams of the current single-party dominated courts, Congress, and the White House are implemented. These will have the effect of a war on the poor and the middle class aside from the overt war currently waged against women and people of color. However, the disconnect between political will of the masses and the electoral process will continue to mean progressive change will again be thwarted or worse, civil war. A portion of the disaffected voters in the last election are armed, often able if veterans, and probably psychologically or financially less secure than readers of this forum. That is why it is so important for Agent Orange to disparage not only his opponents in the political realm, but attack any competing institutions, particularly information sources like the media and the intelligence services on the one hand, educational establishments like public education or elite universities in the long run, and, of course, the electoral process itself. We have seen this pattern in history repeated over and again. Perhaps the best recent examples are what happened in Germany and to Russia in the last century.

The most likely way to distract the great unwashed, in this I include myself, will probably be war with China. That could end quickly if the one report I've seen that Trump believes in the madman theory of the Presidency which Nixon propounded for the first time. (The progressive version is called "going Bulworth.") However, the beauty of a conventional war with either China, Russia, or the U.S.—countries that cannot be defeated by conventional means—is the war will be endless, thus obviating the need for any further elections—as Orwell so presciently wrote. Long ago Aristotle advised in his discourse on how to avoid revolutions, one technique is to "bring distant dangers near."

Personally I am not in such a dark spot as symptomized. However, my favorite all time course was something called "Authoritarian Mass Movements," which was not all about excrement or a proctologist's entry level class, as one colleague wagged. It was about the pathological quest for certainty. I would begin with a discourse on love and how we could find community with a loved one, the world has problems, but we can stand together until death, yackity, yack yack. Then what Maxim Gorky defined as love, "a madness due to a failure of the mind to comprehend the world," and then to Nazism, Fascism, Maoism, the purges in Russia, etc. That form of love, or idolatry, a colleague and former drinking companion used to call, "being in heat, or, **sugar.**) The Greeks who had so many categories of love probably have a word for what a psychiatrist friend of mine said once "all the major religions teach that one should love 'impersonally.'"

To turn Rousseau right side up, "everywhere people are born free, yet everywhere they are looking for chains, that is to say, certainty."

I really feel sorry for Agent Orange and his idolatrous followers, they are so insecure. Paradoxically, bullies don't like to be bullied. A truly conflicted psychology. I must read again the warning by Harvard Business School's expert on negotiations:

How to Build an Exit Ramp for Trump Supporters

Tesla worked with Grohmann a year or so in advance of Tesla buying the company. They will be as involved with M3 as needed is my guess.
Yeah so something must have triggered Musk et al to go from beeing a happy customer of Grohmann to owning the company. My guess would be to lock up these engineers to all the work Tesla needs doing. Or simply that they saw that they would essentially hire 90% of the company the next 2 years so it would be cheaper to not pay profits on all that work as well.
That way they get Grohmanns full focus, don't have to try to build too much of that competency in the US, and they get a better in with the huge German car supplier market.

Cobos

Because I was responding to @neroden who I think (not absolutely sure) was calculating the amount of space required for storage based on the modules rather than individual cells. I don't believe that they would assemble the cells into modules before they complete the cell testing.

The modules have the cells packed tighter than the cells are likely packed in the aging room, so I probably underestimated the space requirements.

Seond, in autonomous mode - the HUD should be turned off. Why would it continue to display information if noone need it?
Or perhaps it can be turning into a large media display? (darkening glass would be nice.) I suspect that they will install the largest, best resolution HUD they can that is affordable. The software will be an ongoing effort, with improvements over time.

So I spotted a reddit comment by someone claiming that they saw 2 carrier semis carrying S/X AND 3x Model 3's, all cars in white.

Model 3 at the Gigafactory Investor Event (January 4th) • /r/teslamotors

They say that they saw the semi in Nebraska.

If true, that would be 3 more Model 3's (since the ones we've seen are the non-functional red one, the silver and matte black), AND it would be the furthest east we've seen them by a long shot.

So I spotted a reddit comment by someone claiming that they saw 2 carrier semis carrying S/X AND 3x Model 3's, all cars in white.

If true, that would be 3 more Model 3's (since the ones we've seen are the non-functional red one, the silver and matte black), AND it would be the furthest east we've seen them by a long shot.

I dont think they were 3s, the defining characteristic to the poster was probably the glass roof, which is an option on the S now.

I dont think they were 3s, the defining characteristic to the poster was probably the glass roof, which is an option on the S now.
I question it too, but he swears he saw three distinct models on the semi.

I certainly wouldn't consider it guaranteed information, but perhaps they were headed somewhere for testing - all cars on two semis being white seems unusual to me too. could be S/X mules with 3 gear in them.

Reactions: neroden

Was the poster going by the name TripC.?

So it seems the latest meeting between EM and the Trump team was on transportation infrastructure... Boring company? Tesla Bus? Maybe its not related to Tesla at all and Elon's an advisor on transportation issues in general.

Edit: I love this 'Every Elon Musk Video' channel. Worth subscribing if you guys havent already :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Drax7
Ok, so so far I resisted commenting on HUD on this thread as it is a bit OT, but I'll bite.

I am not going to call current HUD implementations a gimmick, as I think even just projecting navigation, speed, etc. data on the windshield means the driver will not take their eyes of the road too much, so it still can be a useful safety feature. However I do hope Tesla will push the envelope on this one and make this a game changer.

Hopefully, what's coming our way is not something like this;

b3a822f3de0a7e778bb8fabad526295c.png

but rather, something more like this;

Toyota-Fun-Vii.jpg

Until, a few years from now, we arrive at this;

12.jpg

Thanks to the crew of magic makers at Tesla, we know there are very real breakthroughs coming our way. Exciting times ahead!

That is unbelievably unlikely. By now, Tesla likely has built or is close to finishing the pre-beta prototypes to be shown for the final reveal sometime this year. So, why would they build more pre-alpha prototypes. And no way do they let the beta's be seen in public like that. So yeah, they were probably some S's that were looked at an odd angle, or some other car entirely.

If it's true, I bet they're heading for cold-weather testing. (Which is not straightfworward to do in California.) But it's probably not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.