Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm holding my shares for a very long time, but I'm asking myself the same question re: getting out of these deep ITM short puts. In a perfect world, I'll probably be looking for an exit around that 260 area and then if there's a pullback I'll sell more ITM puts.

I'm thinking sell at $260 and rebuy if it breaks all time highs.. If it starts the slide downward.. I have no idea where a good entry would be
Elon is always thinking ahead. Perhaps Grohmann will play a key role in building and running Gigafactory2.

That's what I'm thinking... which will probably be based in Germany

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I'm very bullish on Tesla. I just don't think that they are currently the best at everything. They need to bring in outside help in addressing their weaknesses. IMO that is exactly what they have done by acquiring Grohmann, a company whose focus and expertise is manufacturing automation.
Acquiring them is how Tesla obtains the talent to become the best. Instead of hiring separately, the got thdm as a unit. I am sure there will be excellent continued cross-fertilizing. They are all one now. Designing and building the factory is harder than building the car.

Reactions: All Your Bases
Just so some of the less polite members don't drown out the silent majority -

AudubonB....thanks in advance for whatever you decide to share with the board from your Gigafactory investor tour. Whether raw or curated, we appreciate your willingness to share some of the Color provided at the event - but we would also greatly appreciate your observations.
Agreed.

The first time I've seen the entire history.
I'd already known that Martin and Elon parted on less than the best of terms.
Martin had been somewhat active on TMC up until a few(anyone know how may) years ago.
I hope he's kept most of his stock.
Yeah, I felt we were honored to have Martin on TMC, I was sorry to see him stop posting.

Thoughts on your Price target for selling?

I've been holding Tesla for a long time. Seen it hit $260 2 previous times now only to see it drop to low $180s and every time I bang my head against the wall asking myself why didn't I sell back at $260 so I could rebuy at the $180 mark. Buying stock is easy... knowing when to sell is the hard part.

I bought 1000 shares of Nvidia at $26 and sold at $28 thinking I was awesome... It's now $103...

So question for all you investors... what's your game plan?

I'm thinking sell at $260 and rebuy if it breaks all time highs..

My bull thesis on Tesla is that they are going to be very successful in one if not several enormous markets. Right now Tesla has a huge string of opportunities in front of it that I want to see play out. So unless this thesis changes, I don't see myself selling until Tesla is many times higher AND their opportunities for growth have shrunk. Lets say Tesla succeeds in cars and autonomy but not solar and storage, then the time to sell would be when their electric car business and autonomy products are approaching maturity (like how Apple's products are today).

$260 might sound high to us because Tesla has bounced off that area a few times and it's been a high number in the context of the past couple years, but it's only 12% higher than were we are today and certainly far far lower than Tesla's potential. I sure don't see myself reducing my (small but proportionally large) investments in Tesla anywhere near that number.

With that said, the market can be pretty crazy and it could obviously overvalue Tesla like it has done before, and I will sell or buy if I think the value is obviously high/low. I first bought Tesla late during it's first run between $120 - $160. I've remained a huge believer but did sell most of my shares between $200 - $245 because those prices were so sky high in early 2014. Tesla has been growing like crazy though so I think it's a great buy at those prices now. I recently loaded up around $195 and don't plan on selling for years unless we hit what I think is a major bubble. That would have to be over $500 this year with the way Tesla is looking now.

My bull thesis on Tesla is that they are going to be very successful in one if not several enormous markets. Right now Tesla has a huge string of opportunities in front of it that I want to see play out. So unless this thesis changes, I don't see myself selling until Tesla is many times higher AND their opportunities for growth have shrunk. Lets say Tesla succeeds in cars and autonomy but not solar and storage, then the time to sell would be when their electric car business and autonomy products are approaching maturity (like how Apple's products are today).

$260 might sound high to us because Tesla has bounced off that area a few times and it's been a high number in the context of the past couple years, but it's only 12% higher than were we are today and certainly far far lower than Tesla's potential. I sure don't see myself reducing my (small but proportionally large) investments in Tesla anywhere near that number.

With that said, the market can be pretty crazy and it could obviously overvalue Tesla like it has done before, and I will sell or buy if I think the value is obviously high/low. I first bought Tesla late during it's first run between $120 - $160. I've remained a huge believer but did sell most of my shares between $200 - $245 because those prices were so sky high in early 2014. Tesla has been growing like crazy though so I think it's a great buy at those prices now. I recently loaded up around $195 and don't plan on selling for years unless we hit what I think is a major bubble. That would have to be over $500 this year with the way Tesla is looking now.

That's for your feedback

I've been holding $180 for years and have seen it hit 250+ three times now only to see it fall to $180 or lower 3 times now. My plan is always just to buy more in the $180-$200 range and the whole time I've never sold. Had I at its high range and rebought at it's low range I could have tripled the amount of shares I currently have. Far more if I shorted on the way down as well.

There is a lot of good for Tesla this year but I believe Q1 and Q2 will be rocky. Tesla will probably miss their Q1 ER due to late deliveries (no big deal long term because production was good, but short sighted wall street probably won't care). Also, I could see Tesla wanting to raise additional money. Both of these events could drop Tesla significantly.

My thoughts are to sell around the $250-$260 range then wait till after Q1 ER and secondary offering to rebuy. Of course, Tesla could have better than expected ER and may not need to raise additional capital... and there will be a ton of news and excitement for the M3 and solar roofs and also major energy storage announcements...

Wish I could just close my portfolio and stop looking for 10 years, but these chatrooms are addictive

Toyota's views on Automous Driving Levels (and a mild swipe at "Company T" Starts at about 14:47 2017 CES
Haha, "So when it comes to Company A, Company B or Company T that says they'll have autonomy by 2020 it's level 4 they're talking about"
Probably Tesla not Toyota, I haven't heard much about Toyota's plans for autonomy. But did you see their car blinks?(headlights) Still...don't think I'd want one.

That's for your feedback

I've been holding $180 for years and have seen it hit 250+ three times now only to see it fall to $180 or lower 3 times now. My plan is always just to buy more in the $180-$200 range and the whole time I've never sold. Had I at its high range and rebought at it's low range I could have tripled the amount of shares I currently have. Far more if I shorted on the way down as well.

Unless you can learn something from it, disregard "what could have been" I'd be a billionaire if I knew which calls and puts to buy daily.

There is a lot of good for Tesla this year but I believe Q1 and Q2 will be rocky. Tesla will probably miss their Q1 ER due to late deliveries (no big deal long term because production was good, but short sighted wall street probably won't care). Also, I could see Tesla wanting to raise additional money. Both of these events could drop Tesla significantly.

A bit confused by this, the delivery miss seems to have been this Q(4) the overhang will be delivered in Q1, along with no major factory updates I'm expecting a large beat on deliveries. Which to your next point May indeed happen but only because the share price is favorable and a cap raise at a higher SP would only support the higher price and give the rest of wall street the cash security they've been expecting Tesla to raise.

My thoughts are to sell around the $250-$260 range then wait till after Q1 ER and secondary offering to rebuy. Of course, Tesla could have better than expected ER and may not need to raise additional capital... and there will be a ton of news and excitement for the M3 and solar roofs and also major energy storage announcements...

Wish I could just close my portfolio and stop looking for 10 years, but these chatrooms are addictive

Yeah....you and I both. I'm sure you'll do just fine if you're in TSLA more than you're out of it. Goodluck!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nate the Great
I don't want to get in a long debate with you about this, but I don't feel that manufacturing efficiency is currently one of Tesla's core competencies. Yes, they are working very hard to become the best at it as quickly as possible. But they are not there yet.

Why do I believe that? Lots of reasons. Less than a year ago, coincident with the plan to move M3 production of 500K vehicles forward 2 years, Elon dismissed the VP of Manufacturing and the VP of Production. According to the interview with the Audi guy who was hired to replace them, his expertise is in logistics (very important), not automation. The speed of Tesla's production line is nowhere near the best in the industry. They have been able to grow production with some improvements in automation but also by people working and being worked very hard. (Read the employee comments on glassdoor.com.) The epiphany about an order of magnitude improvement in manufacturing speed and space efficiency came from the CEO. Fortunately he is able to recognize and admit to Tesla's weaknesses and focus the organization in remedying those weaknesses faster than any other company I am aware of.

I'm very bullish on Tesla. I just don't think that they are currently the best at everything. They need to bring in outside help in addressing their weaknesses. IMO that is exactly what they have done by acquiring Grohmann, a company whose focus and expertise is manufacturing automation.
I be very surprised if TSLA breaks top 10 in manufacturing efficiency of major automakers. Lots of room for the company to improve which bolds well for the stock too. It seems like the rate of improvement is many folds faster then the second place. This is the major reason all the auto analyst can't wrap their heads around the output vs market cap.
Have we even had one auto analyst proclaiming Tesla's manufacturing dominance? Until that happens Tesla is still behind but probably not that much longer at their speed of improvement. M3 will be the test and the time we see a major flip flop of these analysts. On the automotive side I don't see any bigger catalyst than the day Tesla can pump out upwards of 1M cars like cake walk. Being such is the reason I've believe most analysts discount Tesla Engery, Solar, etc. You can have the best technological, safest, superior AP, all second to none, and not make a dent if you can't mass produce. Imagine if Apple was capped at <1M cellphones a year...

I agree with Dennis' sentiment on manufacturing prowess. There isn't much evidence that Tesla is particularly skilled at it IMO. But there's no permanent reason for that to remain the case, whereas all the sludge that exists in the competitors from decades of gasoline, non-autopilot, and non-ridesharing thought is mostly here to stay (they'll just end up buying each other to save costs and fight over whose turf is whose). The 60 year old senior manager will bristle when the 20-something talks about how cars are really like software and should be released early and fixed quickly. A common refrain in the Netflix pessimistic crowd was 'What makes them think they can make content as well as the big boys?'

And I would prefer it to be the case that EVs are simpler to manufacture than ICEs, than for them to be equally difficult and Tesla to have to be 'smarter at manufacturing'. Much like I prefer it to be the case that television is better when it's streaming on demand and ad-free, rather than Netflix have to compete on being 'smarter at creating content'.

Status
Not open for further replies.