Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to let y'all know that you're not the only ones feeling this way about me.

upload_2017-6-21_6-12-11.png

Story of my life.

Reactions: T3SLA3
Very insightful article. This writer is my new hero, after Elon of course.;-)

This is how Big Oil will die – NewCo Shift

One thing to consider about the rapid disruption assumptions is that cars are not phones, cameras or software, they are massive objects which need a much much larger infrastructure (beginning with mining). So I'm unsure how fast the electric car supply chain will be able to grow.

Reactions: MitchJi
ATTENTION: This is the third time Elon is referring to tires.

View attachment 232111

I know some here disagree, but Tesla may be working on long-range high-performance tires, which would make sense for Tesla Network.
Musk seems to be suggesting that 0.1Wh/m or 160 Wh/mile is possible. This would be down from 320 Wh/mile or so. This seems incredible that the right set of tire could double the efficiency. Even a 10% improvement would be a real victory.

• Funny
Just FYI, I reached out to Ben Kallo today regarding the Benzinga article.

Me: "An article about your meeting with Tesla management was just published claiming: 'Specifically, management noted that it is on track to produce about 250,000 vehicles by the end of 2017.' (Actionable Trading Ideas, Real Time News, Financial Insight | Benzinga). Can you confirm if this is true?"

Ben Kallo: "No that's not what we wrote. We wrote that production will ramp to that - consistent with what they said before - exiting the year at 5k M3 per week. Thanks for reaching out."

This makes more sense, but this is also not "consistent with what they said before" which was "5,000 per week at some point in 2017."

Maybe when it comes to applying the field to automotive applications, sure, but I am not sure there exists a definitive pecking order here. What's certainly clear is that it's a much better fit than a compiler guy.

With this hire at least he has the right person in terms of ai computer vision.
Now applying that to autonomous driving is so trivial anybody can do it,
I presume , ok just kidding.

The prior hires never made sense and it quickly revealed itself,
What lead Elon to hire them is a mystery.

Last edited:
Hopefully the new hire as head of the Autopilot program is an improvement. The program is clearly a mess. Misjudging the actions of Mobileye after prematurely betting on their own developments, losing key people to competition (both established and startup), changing leadership seemingly every 6 months and missing self-imposed deadlines one after another. The next one is coming up fast : it's been 5 months since Elon tweeted that the first FSD feature diverging from EAP should arrive in maybe 3 but definitely 6 months. At this point I am willing to bet that the SF->NYC fully autonomous drive is not going to happen before the end of the year.

Meanwhile, the competition has gotten serious about self-driving. Much more so than about electrifying their offerings. Including investing in silicon valley style startups (which is the way to go) and backing those groups with the billions in R&D money needed to get somewhere. Tesla is front of the pack with AP1, but at the speed it is wasting that lead, things are not looking good. We all know computing hardware has a limited shelf-life. The longer it takes for FSD features to materialise, to higher the chances are that Tesla will have to replace their computing hardware on cars out there because it can't keep up with newer hardware iterations in younger car models. Or worse from a financial point of view : that Model 3 buyers will opt to forego the FSD option which is key in bringing up gross margins as quickly as possible.

Hopefully the new hire as head of the Autopilot program is an improvement. The program is clearly a mess. Misjudging the actions of Mobileye after prematurely betting on their own developments, losing key people to competition (both established and startup), changing leadership seemingly every 6 months and missing self-imposed deadlines one after another. The next one is coming up fast : it's been 5 months since Elon tweeted that the first FSD feature diverging from EAP should arrive in maybe 3 but definitely 6 months. At this point I am willing to bet that the SF->NYC fully autonomous drive is not going to happen before the end of the year.

Meanwhile, the competition has gotten serious about self-driving. Much more so than about electrifying their offerings. Including investing in silicon valley style startups (which is the way to go) and backing those groups with the billions in R&D money needed to get somewhere. Tesla is front of the pack with AP1, but at the speed it is wasting that lead, things are not looking good. We all know computing hardware has a limited shelf-life. The longer it takes for FSD features to materialise, to higher the chances are that Tesla will have to replace their computing hardware on cars out there because it can't keep up with newer hardware iterations in younger car models. Or worse from a financial point of view : that Model 3 buyers will opt to forego the FSD option which is key in bringing up gross margins as quickly as possible.

Wasn't the "smooth as silk" version supposed to go out last week? Or was it the week before? I don't see any news on Electrek. Probably fair to say that is a miss too.

"Next stop 270" (Not an advice)

Or worse from a financial point of view : that Model 3 buyers will opt to forego the FSD option which is key in bringing up gross margins as quickly as possible.

Agreed. At this point I wouldn't suggest paying for FSD to a model 3 buyer who might be stretching to get a $35k+ car. I realize there's been a lot of furious paddiling over the last 12 months but the duck isn't moving much.

• Informative
Reactions: Drax7
Oh, I found it.. the real Tesla Killer. Solar paint that turns air into hydrogen to fuel cars. I am sure that Toyota will invest big in this and have a hydrogen paint gigafactory. Tesla is in big trouble:

Scientists Create "Solar Paint" That Can Create Hydrogen Energy | Inverse

Am I doing this FUD thing right?
That kind of *sugar* ticks me off. Yes, it's a cool development, but they make no mention of the efficiency. Why would you convert sunlight to hydrogen if the efficiency is say, 5%? (Speculation, we don't know the numbers.) Maybe if the cost is very low. If solar PV is 20% efficient, and electrolysis is 33% efficient, then solar PV to hydrogen is 6.66_ efficient. Still better than the paint, but what is solar PV to BEV efficiency? 14-16% efficient? (Again, all just hypothetical numbers.) But when no reference is given to the efficiency, you can bet it's not even worth mentioning (because it wasn't.)

Agreed. At this point I wouldn't suggest paying for FSD to a model 3 buyer who might be stretching to get a $35k+ car. I realize there's been a lot of furious paddiling over the last 12 months but the duck isn't moving much.
I hope that a subscription service, or possibly Tesla Mobility subsidized FSD will be offered. (Tesla Mobility 10:1 ratio, for every 1 hour your car does Tesla Mobility, you get 10 hours of FSD for yourself!) Something like that, but more "simple" as Tesla doesn't seem to like complicated calculations to be applied to customers. An optional $100/mo for FSD until your $5,000 is paid of would be reasonable, the balance of paid/unpaid is transferred to the next owner as well for residual value.

It did go out the week before. (barely)

Yes, saw that. I was talking about the over the air "wide" release. On 11th Musk said it will go out next weekend with additional improvements. That would be 17/18th. Still didn't happen afaik. My guess is that their shadow mode data wasn't as good as hoped. So they are still tweaking... Coming from the software world, you can't really put a deadline on algorithmic tweaks as a lot of times it's more of a trial and error. So I can understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.