Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really - numbers of cars "sold" in the industry should be to an end-customer. Dealerships report numbers up to the automaker for collection as end of month data.

Well, I read that sentence from Tesla to be about revenue recognition, which is vastly different. The delivery counts are the same, so I can see that I read that sentence in other terms.

I thought the super charger was based on when the car was ordered, not when it got delivered.
Is it based on delivery?

It is actually based on both, must be ordered by January 15, 2017 and delivered by April 15, 2017.

From their latest email

"“Due to high demand at the end of the year, we’ve extended the order date by two weeks for customers who were unable to finalize their purchase by December 31, 2016. Any Tesla ordered by January 15, 2017 and built by April 15, 2017 will continue to benefit from free unlimited Supercharging. For Model S and Model X vehicles ordered after January 15, 2017, 400 kWh of free Supercharging credits (roughly 1,000 miles) will be included annually so that owners can continue to enjoy free Supercharging during travel.”"

Reactions: Yuri_G
Had Elon stuck to the original plan, it certainly would have been easier: the Roadster, MS and M3. He could have met every target if he stuck to that agenda.

But along the way he added MX with gull wing doors, autopilot, powerwalls, solar tile roofs and more.

It is near miraculous that he has expanded the mission so greatly and managed to still come so close to his targets.

Small minds fixate on small targets. Not Elon. Step back and you see a man accomplishing greatness.

This is a 'meh' Q4 delivery number. Another quarter where both bulls and bears have something to focus on to make their case. I am still waiting for another 'reckless growth' quarter.

I am glad I bought protective puts (J 13 $200s). I will be happy to be wrong if we don't see a dip towards $205 tomorrow. Anything under that and I will add J19 Leaps.

Let us hope there is some great news out of CES and the GF press party.

With production and demand strong and 6400 vehicles in transit, I don't see many longs selling on these numbers. I do see a lot of shorts who have recently become unnerved seeing this as an opportunity to cover. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end higher tomorrow.

To take stock...

50% YoY increase in deliveries.
A miss on guidance, 76,230 instead of the revised 79,000 guidance and the original 80,000 to 90,000
Vehicles in transit overhang increased by ~1,000 instead of drawing down by about 3,000.
Demand is strong - all time record high order levels in Q4, 24% higher QoQ, 52% higher YoY. BTW, not the first time they disclosed relative metrics for orders and these tidbits seem to be ignored often.
Assuming 11 weeks of production, they built 2,262/week. That's very, very good. That implies an annual rate over 100,000 and better margins.

The bears were expecting less deliveries, and in some famous cases, far less. They will press the demand issue, ignoring the all time high record order levels, which seems a foolhardy thing to do. Think Q2, 2016, or Q3, 2015, both quarters where the deliveries ran a bit short to then have big results in the next quarter. Assuming 12 production weeks in Q1, that's production of 27,000 vehicles, a new overhang of 2,500, and emptying the 6,450 Q4 overhang, for a total of 30,950. With record orders, demand isn't the issue, so it's all about delivery logistics.

Last edited:
Any guesses on what margins and operating expenses will be for Q4 then? I'm not seeing any possibility of even a small profit.

They delivered 10% less cars, but probably made 10% more per car because of the P100D and no MX60. So I see automotive margin as pretty flat. AP2 is a wildcard, as it's unclear how Tesla is going to do the accounting on that.

I doubt Q4 will have substantial ZEV credits, and operating costs likely increased with new stores etc, so my guess is a $200 million loss in Q4.

That doesn't factor in TE, which should be providing modest profit by now - maybe $20 million. And SCTY, which is a wildcard. I think if Tesla keeps it under a 100 million loss they'd be doing well.

My guiding theory going into this is that since they were not (I think) aggressively discounting in Q4, they must not be scrambling to make the numbers. But they were never on pace to knock it out of the park, though they sort of came close except for delivery overhang.

Maybe this is the start of the "great relaxing"... Instead of treating the making of quarterly numbers as all-important, they are just going to let the results flow. No discounts. Less geographic batching micromanaging. No panicky "Please take delivery Dec 31" messages to customers. It had to happen someday.

SP holding around $213 in AH, only $4 down! Tesla screws up again and is not severely punished - that's great, no one expect much.

If execution improved and Elon hears about that trick that many use called 'underpromise - overdeliver', we could be onto something in 2017!

My main point is, there is lots of negative sentiment around Tesla, sparks could fly with good news out of GF event tomorrow. I'm adding to my long term shares if there is a selloff tomorrow. Maybe sell some puts too

I don't really see 50% YoY as dropping the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.