Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The post unfortunately also suggests that there is risk we're going to see in the next few days-weeks, articles claiming that Tesla factories aren't safe, backed by shady ex employees testimony or something ...

Be strong guys, whatever happens, whatever is said, just remember this article.
Uber is in deep s*** because of this.

The post unfortunately also suggests that there is risk we're going to see in the next few days-weeks, articles claiming that Tesla factories aren't safe, backed by shady ex employees testimony or something ...

Be strong guys, whatever happens, whatever is said, just remember this article.
Uber is in deep s*** because of this.

Not sure of the context here, but I would also say it is not the most eloquent post I have seen from Tesla. Seems like they should have highlighted the fact that their accident rates are above average in the industry and getting better instead of waiting until the end of the post to mention it:

The third shift, ergonomic improvements and increased safety awareness have collectively led to a 52% reduction in lost time incidents and a 30% reduction in recordable incidents from the first quarter of 2016 to the first quarter of 2017. In addition, through the end of Q1 2017, the factory’s total recordable incident rate (TRIR), the leading metric for workplace safety, is 4.6, which is 32% better than the industry average of 6.7. This data shows that there has been a dramatic improvement in employee safety, we are now significantly better than industry-average, and we continue to improve each day. A few anecdotes in a factory of over 10,000 people can always be given, but these are the facts.​

Tesla’s safety record is much better than industry average, but it is not enough. Our goal is to have as close to zero injuries as humanly possible and to become the safest factory in the auto industry. We will get there by continuing to ask our employees to raise safety concerns and to keep proposing ideas that make things even better.​

Reactions: GoTslaGo
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/14/technology/lyft-waymo-self-driving-cars.html

Lyft and Waymo Reach Deal to Collaborate on Self-Driving Cars
"
The deal was confirmed by Lyft and Waymo.
“Waymo holds today’s best self-driving technology, and collaborating with them will accelerate our shared vision of improving lives with the world’s best transportation,” a Lyft spokeswoman said in a statement.
"

1) Tesla will be making solar panels at the Buffalo GF not just tiles.

2) Elon claims solar roof cost less than a regular roof plus the cost of electricity. If so prove it by eating your own dog food. Elon did not claim solar roof cost less than a luxury roof plus the cost of electricity.

As much as I agree with the "eat their own dog food" part (like using a Powerwall or two in every store they have), I don't think the Solar Roof makes sense for GF. GF doesn't need nor have a roof to begin with so Solar Roof is not applicable in this situation. What it needs is a solar farm on the side as planned.

Are you saying Tesla should be putting solar roof on their factories (I'm OK with putting on showroooms)? or that GGF2 should produce more solar panels (instead of solar roofs) and put on Tesla buildings?

Tesla should be putting Tesla solar panels on their flat roofs and Tesla Solar Roof on their pitched roofs like SuperCharger Canopies and stand alone stores.

Not only is that putting your money where your moth is it is also great advertising for the product.

"
“Waymo holds today’s best self-driving technology, and collaborating with them will accelerate our shared vision of improving lives with the world’s best transportation,” a Lyft spokeswoman said in a statement.
"
Has google/waymo shifted to something without the big spinner on the roof?

Looks like Tesla doesn't have any solar tile product yet. Just starting pilot production next month.
Calling every factory a giga factory is becoming a bit too much now.

David Robinson: As Tesla's focus shifts, so do plans for Buffalo solar factory - The Buffalo News
David Robinson said:
Few specifics on Buffalo timetable

Tesla said this month that it is on track to start making the solar roof tiles on a pilot basis by the end of June at its facility in Fremont, Calif. Once all the kinks are worked out there, Tesla said it expects to shift production "shortly thereafter"to its gigafactory in Buffalo, which will be the biggest solar panel factory in the Western Hemisphere, built with $750 million in state subsidies through the Buffalo Billion economic development program.

Tesla has not provided a more specific timetable for ramping up the RiverBend factory, instead tying the launch of manufacturing in Buffalo to whenever it is that the pilot production phase in California is completed. How well that goes – and it could take longer than expected if the pilot manufacturing process proves to be more difficult than anticipated – will affect how rapidly production shifts to Buffalo.

"
"

If Waymo thinks Lyft has "the best self driving technology," then they are way way way behind Tesla. They'll need to collaborate a whole lot to catch up.

Tesla should be putting Tesla solar panels on their flat roofs and Tesla Solar Roof on their pitched roofs like SuperCharger Canopies and stand alone stores.

Not only is that putting your money where your moth is it is also great advertising for the product.
OK, I hope we can at least agree on the below 2 assumptions:

1) solar roof wouldn't make sense on their factories, or even large/multi-story office buildings where no one can see the roof. It makes sense for smaller showrooms and sales/offices.
2) If GGF2 production capacity is constrained, it would make more sense to make more solar roofs than solar panels?

Based on these 2 assumptions, I don't find Tesla's lack of 100% solar coverage on their facilities to be too alarming.

Just wanted to add that this law just passed the second of two chambers (Bundestag, Bundesrat). So there is nothing in the way of it becoming effective!

I find the 5th bullet point from @JBRR ´s post surprisingly pragmatic for a piece of legislation. Wonder if it might work as an example for lawmakers elsewhere. Reportedly insurance companies are fine with it also (I am sure they like the part about the black box ;) ).

Also, I think this should be a big plus for Tesla in Germany, because buying AutoPilot and not being sure when the more advanced features will actually become legal would have been somewhat of a show stopper. This feels like the German government paving the way for Model 3, which is certainly nice but a bit confusing.

Top level cynicism dialed up... giving Tesla enough rope to hang itself as pioneer to release self-driving, and pioneer to release deluge of incoming lawsuits.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
This sounds like reporters taking aspirational comments as facts and cross linking to other similar articles to make these look legit. At that time, the solar tiles weren't even manufactured, as there are lots of statements using future tense and talks about using Silevo tech that has since been abandoned.

1. Has Tesla & Solarcity actually manufactured these tiles and qualified them in the test environment? Then, it should be a piece of cake for them to create a spec sheet. Even the cheapest solar panels from little known companies come with data sheets. Why Tesla can't provide a spec sheet or watts/sq ft before asking for deposits is beyond me.
2. Last November is a long time ago. Tesla was under the gun to justify Solarcity acquisition. Many of the comments then, like the solar tiles costing less than traditional roof, have to be taken in that context.
3. Last November's show was with non-functional roofs that had 100% solar tile coverage. Still waiting to see functional real life roofs with mix of active and inactive tiles. As I mentioned earlier, heat dissipation under the panels itself is a big issue. If you climbed into your attic during a hot summer day, you know what I mean.

1. Elon = No R&D. CHECK!
2. Tesla/Elon = innovation only to justify. CHECK!
3. Physics = Hot attic CHECK!
:rolleyes:

It's easier to separate the metal elements in raw ore from the inert components than it is to refine a metal-rich amalgam into its constituent elemental components.
Um, it's not, though. First principles says it's *easier* to refine the metal alloy than the original sulfide and oxide ores.

Most notably, copper, nickel, cobalt all come in the same ore deposits typically, so you have to somehow separate them in the original ores already. These deposits typically also contain lithium and carbon (both of which are ultra common, and pretty easy to separate out anyway) and typically also contain iron.

The evidence with aluminum and iron (both of which are cheaper to refine from recycled scrap than from fresh ore) also says it's easier.

When recycling copper alloys with other stuff in them, they are *already* refined by electroplating, as I just discovered. (This did seem like the most obvious way.)

So I challenge your statement: I think you're just wrong here.

There could be complexity in removing the aluminum, which does not naturally occur in significant quantities in the same ores as iron/nickel/copper/cobalt, so the tech for separating it may not be well developed. I don't know. It does look to me from a brief look at the existing processes like separating out aluminum may be a real unsolved problem. And separating everything else from the iron may be expensive (though straightforward). But separating the others shouldn't be too serious a problem if the aluminum is dealt with.

The two primary techniques for separating alloys appear to be dissolving in an acid when you have different solubility, or electroplating while the metals are in solution. Relatively straightfoward although energy intensive (less so than refining from raw ore, though). You can also use differential melting points sometimes but it seems less easy to implement. Zone melting also works, but seems expensive.

---

An interesting point about this is that most of the technologies for recycling the alloys are heavily electricity-based, whereas most of the technologies working with raw ore are not (they use chemical energy typically, with aluminum being the big exception). So price of electricity is incredibly relevant to the economic feasibility of the recycling -- bringing the price of electricity down makes recycling more competitive.

Interesting thought, anyway... not sure how much direct impact this effect has...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.