Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gracious.
Are any of the locals able to perform their magical permit-scouring to learn more? For an industrial heavy-manufacturing set-up, this multi-storied whatever-it-is absolutely towers over not only the rest of the Fremont plant, but most any kind of non hopper-style (fluids, etc) structure that normally exists.

At first blush, it looks like some kind of warehousing arrays. As in, for example, battery tempering slots. Or parking garage!

So I'm sure I'm wrong.

View attachment 236234
Looks like giant cpu cooler. AI has taken over?!

Question.

What about the capital investments required to get from 5k per week to 10k per week? Will that obscure or delay the profitability?

Cap-ex is capitalized and depreciated over the expected life of the asset, so the impact on margins is not as lumpy as one would expect.

Say, for example, Tesla makes $1B of capital investments (cap-ex) to ramp up from 5k/w to 10k/w. Without getting into the nitty gritty of accounting rules here, that $1B would not all at once appear on the income statement as a massive expense in 1Q18 or 2Q18. Instead, it would appear as increased depreciation expense only as the assets purchased are depreciated throughout, say, the following one or two or however many years the management decides (and auditors agree) the life of the asset is.

[for the accounting savvy: Tesla uses units of production method of depreciation, not straight line. The example above is simplified for illustration]

Also, management has said cap-ex needed to get from 5k per week to 10k per week isn't nearly as much as getting to 5k per week in the first place.

Anyway... short answer is: not really.

Re: competition - how about on top of the Supercharger network, the owner gets about 1,000 miles for free? Why would anyone buy a "competitor" EV when Tesla gives a long distance network + free travel?

No worries from me.....take your porche/Audi/VW/Bolt around the city all you want, I'll be driving cross country :)
Considering how much EVGo charges monthly just to make charging rates somewhat near parity with gasoline pricing, competitors don't stand a chance when it comes to cross country driving. $20/mo is $240/yr plus $0.20/min @ 50kW. Which means $96 on top of that $240/yr to equal the free SC charging you get with Tesla. (Or if you don't want the monthly plan, it's $40 for your 8 charging sessions * 50kWh each to equal 400kWh, for a total of $136/yr.)

• Helpful
Reactions: GoTslaGo
No I read everything - I think I'm the only one here who has doubts about their position. Didn't really get the Dorthy Parker post, but I promise to go back to it tonight.
To make it easy for you "Not Howard Roark but really Howard Oark", Dorothy Parkers view of Ayn Rand and her views was the book should not be put down, but violently thrown from a window.
Your comment about a dead girl in bed was as about offputting and vile as I have seen in awhile, and i'm being kind and the discussion with you from me is ended permanently.

I agree. That is my only true question where I have some concerns. I believe they will hit 5K/W soon enough and 10K/W soon enough after that. Though my concern about margins is more the fact that I need to see it, then I think its not possible like most bears. In fact I think there is plenty of room for margin when you look at what we know about the S/X and how much comparatively simple the TM3 is. If the TM3 was the first vehicle that Tesla where making, I would have "bear" like concerns, but since I have something to measure against and I can do basic math, I can see a path to a profitable model 3 program and a very profitable. I expect even more positive margins when Tesla start selling D and P versions and move the S/X up market a bit, which will make them more profitable as well. Even with tax incentives phasing out. Oh and another thing I just realized. The Fed incentives are there to help jump start exactly what Tesla is trying to do. Tesla is taking full advantage and leveraging those incentives incredibly efficiently by maximizing delivers to the US in the first half of next year. For example, without the TM3 at volume the S/X would barely cross the line and sell another 50,000 cars or so. With the TM3 ramping, they could cross the line and then sell 50K S/X and another 100,000 or more TM3s. There is really no other manufacture where that is realistically going to happen and thus they wont be maximizing the value for their customers the way Tesla will. To put that into context, that is an addition 750M in incentives that other manufactures are unlikely to achieve. I know some bears like to complain, but dont hate the player, hate the game.
Just want to point out that the $7500 incentive goes into consumer's pocket, and not Tesla's, so it shouldn't change the margin directly. The only impact the tax incentive could have on margin would be via demand -> volume -> economy of scale. Since TM3 has a long backlog, and appears to have interested buyers even without the incentive, I think it's safe to assume that the incentive won't matter much to the margin. But I'm sure it the shorts won't see it this way.

I see the following Seeking Alpha playbook timeline:
  • Aug '17, delivery event is just a show, where are signs of any TM3 ramp?
  • Sep '17, Can Tesla really ramp to thousands of TM3?
  • Oct '17, no sign of non-Tesla customer delivery, is Tesla lying about ramp?
  • Nov '17, after Q3'17 ER, look at how bad the margins on TM3 is!!!
  • Dec '17, ok there are signs of non-Tesla customer delivery, but can Tesla really hit 20K in Dec?
  • Jan '18, Q4 delivery # is now out, 20K delivery was missed (20K produced is irrelevant), and Tesla losing hundreds of millions if we multiply the 20K by the Q3'17 TM3 margin.
  • Feb '18, Q4'17ER should be out, maybe margin is OK, but Tesla is quickly approaching the 200K incentive cut off, just wait till it goes over and demand will drop to 0
  • Mar '18, Tesla marching towards certain death as 200K threshold is crossed
  • Apr-Jun '18, incentive going away after this quarter, Tesla death watch countdown continues
  • Jul-Sep '18, incentive really going away after this quarter, last quarter was only 50%, now the Tesla death watch really begins
  • Oct '18, ok forget about TM3, semi is not manufacturable, no customers. And where is the MY reveal? is it delayed?!

Just want to point out that the $7500 incentive goes into consumer's pocket, and not Tesla's, so it shouldn't change the margin directly. The only impact the tax incentive could have on margin would be via demand -> volume -> economy of scale. Since TM3 has a long backlog, and appears to have interested buyers even without the incentive, I think it's safe to assume that the incentive won't matter much to the margin. But I'm sure it the shorts won't see it this way.

• Dec '17, ok there are signs of non-Tesla customer delivery, but can Tesla really hit 20K in Dec?
  • Jan '18, Q4 delivery # is now out, 20K delivery was missed (20K produced is irrelevant), and Tesla losing hundreds of millions if we multiply the 20K by the Q3'17 TM3 margin.
  • Feb '18, Q4'17ER should be out, maybe margin is OK, but Tesla is quickly approaching the 200K incentive cut off, just wait till it goes over and demand will drop to 0
  • Apr-Jun '18, incentive going away after this quarter, Tesla death watch countdown continues
  • Jul-Sep '18, incentive really going away after this quarter, last quarter was only 50%, now the Tesla death watch really begins
  • Oct '18, ok forget about TM3, semi is not manufacturable, no customers. And where is the MY reveal? is it delayed?!
Sounds about right.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
a tiny favor please. I was asked what price i would sell TSLA at (never, maybe 30 years, maybe if i need to pay to be a colonist) but asked for a future valuation
If the Tesla ecosystem was $2 Trillion, what would that equate a stock price of. thanksfor any answer (or anybody)

I can try to estimate, but first I would need to understand what you mean by "$2 Trillion ecosystem" exactly.

Do you mean that you expect Tesla's market capitalization to be $2 Trillion or that Tesla's total addressable market is $2 Trillion?

If you mean the former, just divide your market capitalization estimate with ~180 million diluted shares outstanding (assuming no equity secondaries or any stock buybacks in later years).

If you mean the latter, you would need to provide a market share estimate as well as a long-term net income margin estimate, and the discussion could get very hairy.

It's like you have a crystal ball or something.

That's a play I'll enjoy watching over the next year + :)

• Love
Reactions: neroden

I didnt mean to insinuate that Tesla would receive the the tax credits, but I think you explained it perfectly as a tool for spur demand. Even though they do not receive the credit for all sales they do receive them for leases if I havnt lost my mind? High margins are critical for what you discussed as the countdown to the death of Tesla due to the lack of tax incentives. high margins gives Tesla pricing power. I suspect that Tesla will either add some value and/or lower the price by the end of 2018 to compensate, more then likely the former then the latter. An Augmented reality HUD maybe? At the same time they will start to use 2170 based packs in S/X and move those vehicles up market to support the higher price for the end consumers who purchase without incentives. Even though Fed incentives are going away, there could be additional state incentives that fill the void. California and NY for example. I dont think incentives are required for Tesla's success, but I do think that Tesla needs to achieve their goals of 30% GM or more to finance the future. The incentives would only add up to only 7% of the ASP for this theoretical up market version of the S/X so you can split the difference in terms of adding value and lowering costs. I would not be shocked if Tesla couldnt hit close to 37% GM without a price drop to compensate for the lost incentives. I base this on the marginal cost quoted by the SpaceX engineer who said the marginal cost to produce the Model S was around $30K. The marginal cost would be the theoretical minimum cost. Of course there is spoilage/breakage and the amortized costs of the P&E, but the more cars you can make the smaller those costs are. The more mature the product is the closer they will get to that marginal cost.

Reactions: Waiting4M3
When you label some buyers as snobs or status buyers you come across as having an inferiority complex and as judgmental. Just letting you know in case you are not aware of this. I appreciate when people point out things like this about me.

I am sorry if it sounds judgement at all, but it is true. Do people really need a luxury entry level car when a Camry will do? Entire marketing strategies revolve around the idea of getting the "premium" product because "you are missing out on the best". Marketing in general preys on people's insecurities to sell something we don't really need and we all fall for it (Myself included, I drive a Tesla too after all). Anyway, getting off topic.

My whole point is that Tesla is entering the mass market market by going through the luxury entry market (huge market worldwide) first and there are no competitors in the foreseeable future in this area... certainly not the Chevy Bolt, excellent car as it may be.

Last edited:
To make it easy for you "Not Howard Roark but really Howard Oark", Dorothy Parkers view of Ayn Rand and her views was the book should not be put down, but violently thrown from a window.
Your comment about a dead girl in bed was as about offputting and vile as I have seen in awhile, and i'm being kind and the discussion with you from me is ended permanently.

Edwin Edwards once said the only way he would not be re-elected was if he was caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy. It was a joke, I apologize for offending you. And I agree with Ms. Parker about Ayn Rand.

related just in:
US House panel approves broad proposal on self-driving cars
"<
  • A House panel Wednesday approved a proposal to allow automakers to deploy up to 100,000 self-driving cars without meeting existing auto safety standards.
  • The proposal also bars states from imposing driverless car rules.

Well, this is going to backfire really really badly the first time a driverless car kills someone. And with this insane level of deregulation, it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Status
Not open for further replies.