Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that they are extremely overvalued. Selling 100k model S and X, then expect your market cap to be at 50 to 100bil, just doesn't cut it. It is all fundamental economics here. your product has to be in massive exponentially production mode and you also need tons of customers to buy your s.h.1.t. (superb monthly sales). if you achieve both of these, your stock will go UPPPP.

A FULL year had pasted and they only produced 200-300 model 3s (and plus they are all for corporate employees). Everyone holding on to their reservation has to be thinking, "what the hell are they doing for a whole year and only produced a measly 300 cars "
If by full year you mean 6 months, then yea.

the first question is... when will EV sales be an actual impact on the global market?... they are not today... Tesla's "dominance" in a portion of the market that is so small is basically useless to extrapolate on... although that's the line being touted here... 50% of 0.2% is not a thing.

0.5% is ~400k/yr... when will Tesla hit that number?... i'm guessing they'll sell that much in 2020.

if EVs take off over the next 2 years, then ALL manufacturers will have at least one EV available if not a line... so my answer to you is, 2019-2020.

and Tesla will be selling cars along with competition of all sorts... and GMs will not be 25% to 30%... and Tesla will trade at sub 1 P/S.

GM has no plans and no battery capacity to build more than 30k per year into 2018. BMW and Mercedes are a no show until at least 2020 and again where are they going to get their batteries from? None of them has started to build a credible infrastructure and suddenly it’ll be there in 2019?

I actually think Tesla will literally never get to L4. They use the wrong engineering approach. As most AV makers do. Clear proof of this is Waymo's paradigm shift recently. I realize how this sounds. I will provide a bit of my resume and links to an article I wrote that explains it in detail and provides links for all the information to prove it I site.

My name is Michael DeKort. I am a former systems engineer, engineering and program manager for Lockheed Martin. I worked in aircraft simulation, the Aegis Weapon System, NORAD and on C4ISR for DHS. I also worked in Commercial IT. Including cybersecurity. I received the IEEE Barus Ethics Award for whistleblowing regarding the DHS Deepwater program post 9/11.
IEEE Xplore Full-Text PDF:

Autonomous Levels 4 and 5 will never be reached without Simulation vs Public Shadow Driving for AI

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/autonomous-levels-4-5-never-reached-without-michael-dekort
You've made your point, several times. Do you have anything else? Or should I just add you to my favorites list?

M3 delivery timeline to be updated soon for individuals.

Attachments

• 3167AAD3-1D84-4513-B90E-A249B0611A9D.jpeg
    3167AAD3-1D84-4513-B90E-A249B0611A9D.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 65
I am actually somewhat relieved that the main bottleneck is in the battery module assembly line and not in the stamping, welding, final assembly etc. Otherwise, imagine the torrent of "I told you so"s from the so called traditional auto manufacturers and "experts" who claim that Tesla does not know how to manufacture cars.

Also, I have not seen any other manufacturer use robots for fixing dashboard and seats in final assembly. Correct me if I am wrong here, Is this a world first?
Agree with your first paragraph completely.
MB has robots that install dashes on their C-Class but not the seats. I believe someone posted a video of the MB robots installing dashes on one of the comment threads over on electrek.co.

I am actually somewhat relieved that the main bottleneck is in the battery module assembly line and not in the stamping, welding, final assembly etc. Otherwise, imagine the torrent of "I told you so"s from the so called traditional auto manufacturers and "experts" who claim that Tesla does not know how to manufacture cars.

Also, I have not seen any other manufacturer use robots for fixing dashboard and seats in final assembly. Correct me if I am wrong here, Is this a world first?
I wonder exactly what it is about this battery assembly that is giving them problems. If i recall correctly, they had problems with the 100 packs too.

Also, our “source” - full time GF employee and part time racist - turned out to be wayyyy off the mark, pinning the delay on Pana US employees, power supply etc. etc. Perhaps he was aware Elon and JB were at the GF and made some guesses on what is going wrong.

He sounds like a genuine GF1 employee alright. However, I feel he is prone to gross exaggerations.

they won't fill the M3 reservations until mid to late 2019... they took reservations in 2016... that's crazy. 500k in 2018 is now impossible. 500k in 2019 is unlikely as well. 1m in 2020 is impossible... which means @ValueAnalyst question of "is 10m/year in 2023 possible?" answered...

when will this company that is valued higher than large auto companies even come close to any one of their size? how about profitably?... BMW, 2m+/year... at this point that looks to be somewhere in the 2022 to 2023 range... nearly all of the manufacturers are working on plans for competition... by this time Tesla will be a small fish in a sea of EV manufacturers.

the best case scenario for Tesla is that it begins to survive on its own and becomes a decent fraction of the size of BMW in the next 5 years.

which means the current valuation for Tesla is completely insane.
I disagree. How many skeptics in 2012 would have bought in to the idea of that in 5 years Tesla would go from a total production of 2,500 vehicles to 250,000 total vehicles. That's an insane rate of growth by any new manufacturer, especially in the automotive field. And there is no reason for me to believe that Tesla/EM is no less ambitious about the the next 5 years of growth. According to EM, the M3 is a 10-year car, this 3-month delay will be fairly insignificant in the long run. Skeptics and FUDsters will sing their victory songs over the next several weeks, but the EV revolution is here to stay and Tesla will lead the way.

I disagree. How many skeptics in 2012 would have bought in to the idea of that in 5 years Tesla would go from a total production of 2,500 vehicles to 250,000 total vehicles. That's an insane rate of growth by any new manufacturer, especially in the automotive field. And there is no reason for me to believe that Tesla/EM is no less ambitious about the the next 5 years of growth. According to EM, the M3 is a 10-year car, this 3-month delay will be fairly insignificant in the long run. Skeptics and FUDsters will sing their victory songs over the next several weeks, but the EV revolution is here to stay and Tesla will lead the way.

we careless about the car.. we care more about stocks.. most of us, here, don't even own a Tesla car and don't plan on buying one. What make us happy is an UPpity stock..

it certainly is... but it's also margin of error for companies that Tesla is valued greater than.

A few thoughts on TSLA post conference call:

I never banked on Elon being a Dante aficionado, and clearly he's not.

For a few weeks now, it seemed likely that there were significant manufacturing issues with Model 3. I held out a small hope that things might be mostly turned around by the third quarter call, but I'm not really surprised at a full quarter delay in the production ramp for Model 3. For me, the most crucial piece of information delivered in the call was that the demand for S and X stayed strong across all geographies. Consistent demand for these products in a decent range around 100k is a huge asset for the company. During the summer, I had some concern that the strong interest in the Model 3 might lead to a significant air pocket in S/X demand, but that has not been the case. Interest in the model 3 has continued to stoke interest in S and X -- and that's great news. The fact that the energy storage business is not being hampered by the Model 3 production problems was good news too. I've long regarded energy storage as a sleeper category for Tesla. Within the utility industry, people seem to be getting increasingly bullish about grid scale storage.

In response to today's call, we can expect Mr. Market to act like it normally does -- as a manic depressive. As well, the "tail" of Mr. Market is likely to wag people's perceptions of the fundamentals. Of course, the quarter delay on model 3 production is bad news that will cost the company dollars. I don't mean to minimize that. As well, I doubt Elon will be where he thought he was going to be with a coast to coast automated drive by year end. But there is no existential threat and nothing fundamentally different about the company's situation in my mind. Could things get worse? Of course. I would be more worried if several problems occurred at once such as a continued delay in model 3 production along with a significant decline in S/X demand and/or an earthquake that hit the fremont facility. *sugar* happens and sometimes in waves. Even in those situations, I think there is enough long term upside and broad interest in the cash rich tech sector that they could raise a ton of cash if they were really in a pinch.

A year from now Tesla will probably be running at a $20 billion run rate in sales, possibly much better. With a still extraordinary growth profile, I would expect the company to trade at 4-5 times sales and the stock be up appreciably from where it is now. How about between now and then? The best time to add to a stock in terms of risk/reward is often the moment when there is a really sound case for operating margin expansion. Doesn't the market, the sell-side, and the buy-side anticipate that? Often no. Even with a very tight case that operating margins should expand, the market often does a poor job of anticipating that change. Something to watch in the coming months/quarters.

Just my $0.02 here.

A few thoughts on TSLA post conference call:

I never banked on Elon being a Dante aficionado, and clearly he's not.

For a few weeks now, it seemed likely that there were significant manufacturing issues with Model 3. I held out a small hope that things might be mostly turned around by the third quarter call, but I'm not really surprised at a full quarter delay in the production ramp for Model 3. For me, the most crucial piece of information delivered in the call was that the demand for S and X stayed strong across all geographies. Consistent demand for these products in a decent range around 100k is a huge asset for the company. During the summer, I had some concern that the strong interest in the Model 3 might lead to a significant air pocket in S/X demand, but that has not been the case. Interest in the model 3 has continued to stoke interest in S and X -- and that's great news. The fact that the energy storage business is not being hampered by the Model 3 production problems was good news too. I've long regarded energy storage as a sleeper category for Tesla. Within the utility industry, people seem to be getting increasingly bullish about grid scale storage.

In response to today's call, we can expect Mr. Market to act like it normally does -- as a manic depressive. As well, the "tail" of Mr. Market is likely to wag people's perceptions of the fundamentals. Of course, the quarter delay on model 3 production is bad news that will cost the company dollars. I don't mean to minimize that. As well, I doubt Elon will be where he thought he was going to be with a coast to coast automated drive by year end. But there is no existential threat and nothing fundamentally different about the company's situation in my mind. Could things get worse? Of course. I would be more worried if several problems occurred at once such as a continued delay in model 3 production along with a significant decline in S/X demand and/or an earthquake that hit the fremont facility. *sugar* happens and sometimes in waves. Even in those situations, I think there is enough long term upside and broad interest in the cash rich tech sector that they could raise a ton of cash if they were really in a pinch.

A year from now Tesla will probably be running at a $20 billion run rate in sales, possibly much better. With a still extraordinary growth profile, I would expect the company to trade at 4-5 times sales and the stock be up appreciably from where it is now. How about between now and then? The best time to add to a stock in terms of risk/reward is often the moment when there is a really sound case for operating margin expansion. Doesn't the market, the sell-side, and the buy-side anticipate that? Often no. Even with a very tight case that operating margins should expand, the market often does a poor job of anticipating that change. Something to watch in the coming months/quarters.

Just my $0.02 here.

1. model 3 production goals are delayed for three months. 2. BIGGEST quarterly loss in the history of Tesla 3. scaled back model S and X production.. 4) delayed Semi trailer debut.

here are all the problems

Last edited:
Looks like the high Capex this quarter was due to a one time only hit from dropping the 90kwh battery and switching to the 100, in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal if it’s only a one time hit for improved efficiency from a value proposition standpoint, which has benefitted customers buying 100s instead of 90s. Tesla is dominating the luxury car segment bc of this impoved efficiency, customers have responded by buying more Tesla’s than Mercedes S class by a factor of 2, and more than BMW, Audi’s, Porsche Panamrama combined.

This domination in the luxury segment will lead to a huge Quarter 4 delivery and sales (noted by Elon, orders for S and X remain robust), it’s going to be another record breaking quarter...

As far as the bottleneck is concerned, it appears that Elon understands where the issue is, which contractor dropped the ball, and lines 1&2 are being worked on by Tesla’s best engineers at the GF. I don’t see the doom and gloom scenarios that some bears and new posters have been dropping here today. Listen to the call, it was filled with intellectual conversations, Elon giggling and confidence in the ramp that will eventually occur. He likens this ramp, when it does happen, to be like a “fighter jet in vertical climb..” Tesla currently has plenty of cash on hand and Elon has reiterated that they will not need to raise capital all the way to 10,000 per week. Elon stopped shy of promising any concrete numbers for M3 production but did mention “something like a few thousand per week in Q4.” This statement is consistent with them reducing 5k parts to 3k parts per week with a supplier... it sounds like Tesla “will deliver M3 numbers with high confidence in Q4 earnings call.”

I think we get a slight drop tomorrow, followed by a quick reversal as value seeking side liners will enter (not an advice of course). I’ll be looking to purchase some more.

A bonus: Tesla’s growth rate is faster than the Model T. Model X reached Model S demand growth within 50% less time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.