Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was moderate borrowing for shorting at Fidelity today: around 50k shares. Yesterday notably there was likely 199k shares covered. I am hoping TSLA could test strong resistance at $235-236.

Snap1.png

@vgrinshpun

How are you currently trading to take advantage of your price target?

I have a bunch of Jan 20 calls ($190, $220 and $230). I think that we'll continue the trend next week, but am planning to form spreads today by selling upper bracket to take some money off the table and de-risk next (inauguration) week. Depending how next week plays out, I will either sell the spreads or start rolling them out (if they are slightly in the money and it seems that TSLA is to continue the current uptrend).

I also have some Jan 2019 calls bought when TSLA was around $212. I am planning to ride them for now, up the trend, and will consider forming delayed "free" spreads at around $265, but may hold all the way until, hopefully, ATH. I am hoping that current uptrend will carry through the first half of February.

All of the above is not an investment advice and not an inflexible rigid set of criteria...

Anticipating a brick wall at 235 (which I've posted several times over the last few days, it's huge resistance), I got out of my deep ITM Jan 20 short puts when SP was around 234.50 for a solid gain - almost 50% on ITM short puts I consider to be great.

Hopefully I just chickened out too early and we bust through 235. I think 250 is in the cards if we break 235 for a sustained period.

Don't forget everybody, Monday is a holiday (markets closed) so only 4 trading days next week.
Yep. Just unloaded the last of the Jan20th calls I was hanging on to so I don't get killed by theta decay over the weekend.

Well, I still have some 370 lottery tickets I bought last summer that have been worth $0.01 since like October. I can't even make enough by selling them to cover the commissions.

Tesla expiring calls with active trading as shares rally. The stock is up $4.75 to $234.34 after the company unveiled a new pricing plan for its Supercharger network. More than 3K Jan 13th 235 calls have traded. Jan 13th 232.5, 230, and 240 calls are next most active. Total volume is lopsided more than 2:1 at 19K calls and 8.7K puts. Nearly 60% of the flow is in contracts that expire today.

I wish I knew what all this means

What is going on? Is there news/rumor?
Mostly, I think its just that we're colliding with the rising trendline, and the staircase from Dec 5 is continuing. That, plus we're running into strong resistance at 235. Fundamentally, we got some more Elon tweets and finally a clarification of what the Supercharger costs are going to look like for people who buy cars after this weekend, and it looks reasonable.

Tesla expiring calls with active trading as shares rally. The stock is up $4.75 to $234.34 after the company unveiled a new pricing plan for its Supercharger network. More than 3K Jan 13th 235 calls have traded. Jan 13th 232.5, 230, and 240 calls are next most active. Total volume is lopsided more than 2:1 at 19K calls and 8.7K puts. Nearly 60% of the flow is in contracts that expire today.

Wow, that's a lot of very short term bets.

• Love
Reactions: neroden

LOL - I think it means traders are currently short term bullish...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.