Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 210348

EDIT: No additional covering after the one in the morning - yet. I am wondering if a push through $236 could motivate more...

I hope no more short covering. Infact, I want short interest increase, all the while long term buyers keep accumulating. Short interest above 50% is the perfect fuel to catapult TSLA with $100+ moves.

This move looks very strong - Tesla is about to break strong resistance ($236.63), while Nasdaq slides down. This is distinctly TSLA move, not the overall market.

Snap1.png

Tesla remains a tech bargain. They have cultivated their own cult (strong following) for a pricey product, much like apple, however their plan to bring similar tech at a lower price point, breaks with apple. Last i checked apple has the most cash for a company of all time (broad sweeping generalization, not sure if entirely correct) on the basis of a great product and strong following.

Tesla remains a tech bargain. They have cultivated their own cult (strong following) for a pricey product, much like apple, however their plan to bring similar tech at a lower price point, breaks with apple. Last i checked apple has the most cash for a company of all time (broad sweeping generalization, not sure if entirely correct) on the basis of a great product and strong following.

Tesla Is Snatching Apple’s Stars to Make Itself the New Apple

Majority of people here will never chastise for selling TSLA for profit...especially short term positions. ;) Well played.
In hindsight I made a suboptimal move this morning getting out of my Jan20 @235 calls for $3.20 thinking that I didn't want to lose to theta decay acceleration into the evening today with only 4 trading days next week. Now they're currently worth $4.48. But I only paid something like $0.95 for them, so I'm pretty happy nonetheless.

My best guess is that the combination of the gigafactory tour for analysts and big players provided solid proof that the gigafactory is on schedule, will not slow down Model 3, and will be turning out substantial output in 2017. Some of the big players are capable of doing the same math we've been doing, which is to suppose that Q1 is going to be surprisingly strong in deliveries and profits. The buying we are seeing could be with 2017 as a time horizon, and institutions are willing to weather a dip in the short term to establish these profitable holdings in Tesla. As they buy, they cause shorts to start a slow process of closing their positions, so we're really seeing a mixture of the two forces sending TSLA higher today. I continue to be bullish for TSLA in the April-May time period and I am holding onto most of my June calls.

Majority of people here will never chastise for selling TSLA for profit...especially short term positions. ;) Well played.
Thanks!

I'm bouncing back and forth between regrets over selling Jan20-227.50 calls yesterday and contentment with fact that I still made a buck on them. The markets last few days wore me down, I had to de-risk.

Our uptrend is still solid!

All I have left is stock, Mar, Jun and 2019 calls.... will buy more on pullback.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Can I get some advice please.

I don't know what happened to my nerve, but I've been frozen in paralysis for the last month or so. I don't exactly make a lot of money at my job, but I do make a decent amount more than my expenses every month. In the last 1.5 years, I've saved up a good deal of money by living pretty modestly. That's why, when I wake up in the morning and see that I've lost over a month's worth of pay before I open my eyes, it's pretty horrifying. After a couple of those episodes, I got rid of my shares and quickly went crying under my blanket. This happens to be around the time TSLA started taking off. I've been wanting to get back in every day, but it's already gone up so much, so quickly that I can't kick the feeling that a huge crash/correction is coming just around the corner, and if I buy in now, it'll probably drop 10 points come next week or something stupid. There's also the fact that the stock market is going up at an unsustainable pace so that'll crash eventually too.

I don't have interest in any other stock at the moment because I don't think any major company has the growth potential that Tesla has over the next few years or over the next decade. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Would you wait for a potential correction (that may come when the stock is 300+, or even may never come) or should I just hop back in now, and eat any loss that may potentially be lurking around the corner?

Days like this also really hurt me because I also factor in potential gain loss, which, for a day like today, is a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden

I don't know what happened to my nerve, but I've been frozen in paralysis for the last month or so. I don't exactly make a lot of money at my job, but I do make a decent amount more than my expenses every month. In the last 1.5 years, I've saved up a good deal of money by living pretty modestly. That's why, when I wake up in the morning and see that I've lost over a month's worth of pay before I open my eyes, it's pretty horrifying. After a couple of those episodes, I got rid of my shares and quickly went crying under my blanket. This happens to be around the time TSLA started taking off. I've been wanting to get back in every day, but it's already gone up so much, so quickly that I can't kick the feeling that a huge crash/correction is coming just around the corner, and if I buy in now, it'll probably drop 10 points come next week or something stupid. There's also the fact that the stock market is going up at an unsustainable pace so that'll crash eventually too.

I don't have interest in any other stock at the moment because I don't think any major company has the growth potential that Tesla has over the next few years or over the next decade. What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? Would you wait for a potential correction (that may come when the stock is 300+, or even may never come) or should I just hop back in now, and eat any loss that may potentially be lurking around the corner?

Days like this also really hurt me because I also factor in potential gain loss, which, for a day like today, is a lot.

simple advice: don't do absolutes. don't sell everything if you are concerned, dont buy in huge when bullish. constantly adjust your holding depending on your read of the current stock price versus potential for future stock value. You could so something like commit yourself to never make a trade of more than 20% of your holdings on any one day.

edit: not necessarily sound investmend advice, but will save you from the kidn of psychological blows to single unfortunate trades that you described.

This belongs in the general discussion thread, but I have on multiple occasions gained or lost my annual salary in a day. It's a question of the size of your balance and risk tolerance. My risk tolerance is off the charts apparently since I completely shrug it off. Consider just taking vanilla shares and holding for 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.