Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that I have not heard much if anything from him maybe he already covered.

IIRC there was some posting within the month here (maybe general thread) that someone said he was maintaining his short position. Citron (Left) had declared he was/had closed his short position on TSLA. I would hope that if Chanos does too, he would have the decency to announce it like Citron did.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Just sold a 6/2 347.50 call for $1.15

I should warn you, there's been some massive 6/2 350 call buying all day today. To quote a service I subscribe to that monitors option sweepers and block buying:

TSLA TALLY THERE >> 8045 TSLA Jun 2nd 350.0 C 25% Mid / 60% Ask (IV=43.6% +11.4) OPENING

The most recent was a batch of 500 6/2 350c @ $0.81, about 15 minutes ago.

Text from my wife:
Is it a squeeze?
My reply:
I don't think so. Not yet. That's a pleasant thought though!

I wonder what it will take to start a squeeze? If the SP continues to rise by about $6-$-10 per day is that to gradual? Maybe an on time M3 launch and ramp will trigger a $30-50 spike. Wonder if that would do it?

Last edited:
The next major event is the shareholder meeting, which is exactly 1 week from today. I wonder if there is any "buy on the rumor" effect going on.

There are only 2 thing I really want to know from the shareholder meeting: whether Model 3 is still on schedule for launch, and whether the production ramp is still on schedule as well.

The other point I wonder, is the old "Sell in May and go away" adage is going on here. Except maybe the traders are putting their discretionary funds in stocks they think will continue to have legs during the summer. Lot's of other stocks are in the red--I know because most of my other shares are, with few exception.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Yes
I'm done buying I'm Already close to $4 million on margin and my 30k shares could easily be worth $30 to $60 million in 5 years if not more so that's a nice round # core position which does not need to be disturbed for next several years
Plus I already have extremely high risk call option portfolio of over a million which I will actively trade and make millions on that alone
So yes I'm finally satisfied with my TSLA position and no more buying for me in foreseeable future

So you have roughly 4mil margin on very roughly 11mln position. 4mln borrowing on 7mln worth of own money. That's not too crazy. I almost thought you had 400% borrowing from your earlier posts because it sounded like you are maxing out on your margin. Who is your brokerage?

I have modest 3K shares at IB with no margin and no other positions. The account says I have an additional $4.8mln buying power.

I'm just surprised that you are maxed out at merely 57% excess purchases. Even if you exclude options entirely you are maxing out at 67%. Looks like IB would give more than 480% margin.

Add: Quite honestly if I had $6mln of net-equity I wont go on margin at all. Why bother? 6mln is a great amount of money to begin with. From what I remember you don't live in big expensive coastal cities... Even with plain vanilla TSLA with no margin and no options, that portfolio has potential to grow much bigger... I find myself puzzled at your mental model.

Last edited:
IIRC there was some posting within the month here (maybe general thread) that someone said he was maintaining his short position. Citron (Left) had declared he was/had closed his short position on TSLA. I would hope that if Chanos does too, he would have the decency to announce it like Citron did.

After giving this some more thought it probably would make the most sense for Chanos to be upfront about having made a bad bet should his company close out any shorts they have left. If he closed out and said nothing, it would look sneaky. Plus it would eventually leak out that he closed and then the Internet would not stop talking about it ever.

• Love
Reactions: T3SLA3 and GoTslaGo
After giving this some more thought it probably would make the most sense for Chanos to be upfront about having made a bad bet should his company close out any shorts they have left. If he closed out and said nothing, it would look sneaky. Plus it would eventually leak out that he closed and then the Internet would not stop talking about it ever.

Yes from a prior interview Chanos seems to be an upfront kind of guy. I have a decent respect for him based on that interview, FWIW. If he was to bail without making it publicly known it was reflect very poorly on him, IMHO.

Text from my wife:
Is it a squeeze?
My reply:
I don't think so. Not yet. That's a pleasant thought though!

I wonder what it will take to start a squeeze? If the SP continues to rise by about $6-$-10 per day is that to gradual? Maybe an on time M3 launch and ramp will trigger a $30-50 spike. Wonder if that would do it?

Not yet, at least judging by Fidelity availability for shorting data - will post tonight. I think they decided to stay a little longer. I do not think it is a wise decision, but I welcome it.

The next major event is the shareholder meeting, which is exactly 1 week from today. I wonder if there is any "buy on the rumor" effect going on.

There are only 2 thing I really want to know from the shareholder meeting: whether Model 3 is still on schedule for launch, and whether the production ramp is still on schedule as well.
Every day of no bad news is a day of good news on M3 launch and production ramp, IMHO. With the 4-8 weeks away, the odds are gathering in our favor. I wish I could buy more, even at today's price, but the share count I have is what I'm likely stuck with for the next year.

Reactions: SteveG3
Status
Not open for further replies.