Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you very much, this is getting really interesting. According to the Shortsqueeze.com TSLA float is 117,911,90 shares, which means that we are up to whopping 41.3M shares short. Here is an updated table from my post couple of weeks back, showing an interesting perspective. Evidently there is strong and methodic buying pressure. In spite of millions of additional shares flooding in due to shorting, TSLA continues marching up, defying really scary macro situation as well.

Something is up. I smell another pie.

View attachment 212753
your picture had "ValueWalk" as a reputable source, FWIW
I was referred to "ValueWalk" when i asked what was Stanphyl's return for 2016 to an article by "Staff writer" that was actually a reprint of an article by MBS as it referred to "my article" and the link went to an SA article, by MBS
circular references, not refereed, not questioned, partially hidden 'authors' make me suspicious

to be clear, im not questioning you, Vg, im suspicious of ValueWalk, no disrespect to you and your hard work

I was referred to "ValueWalk" when i asked what was Stanphyl's return for 2016 to an article by "Staff writer" that was actually a reprint of an article by MBS as it referred to "my article" and the link went to an SA article, by MBS
circular references, not refereed, not questioned, partially hidden 'authors' make me suspicious
While I'm all for questioning the validity of data from questionable sources, in this case, the data seems reasonable. In the referenced time period (1/13/2017 to present) from the last reputable source (I think we can all agree the numbers NASDAQ posts are as real as they get), TSLA went from around $235 to a peak around 258. As we approach the descending trend from ATH and Model 3 reveal at around 255 it seems reasonable that short interest would go up as they think we're hitting a peak.

We'll know for sure in a week or two when NASDAQ releases the numbers for the end of the month.

But the rate they charge short sellers has been steadily inching up - from 1.5% to now 2.5%.

True statement.

My suggestion is to think of it as being reasonably stable around 2, and inching up from 2 to 2.5. Just as it was unstably low at 1.5 (I think it was only there for 1 day - I watch it closely and it wasn't a week). Through that low spot, the rate Fidelity was paying to borrow shares was 1%, just as it is now.

Getting up to 2.5 now, if the rate Fidelity is lending shares stays steady at 2.5, then I'd expect to see a bump in the borrow rate soon. A bump in the borrow rate for me, would be confirmation of a slight imbalance in favor of demand for more shares to short the company (Fidelity is being more aggressive attempting to attract shares). The absence of the bump suggests to me we'll soon see a drop in the rate Fidelity is charging to lend shares (2.5 heading down to 2.25 or 2).

The difficulty at these rate levels, is that there is really a pretty big range of supply and demand (relatively speaking) that will continue to sustain a 1% rate for Fidelity borrowing shares to lend. If Fidelity were paying 4% today, then 1/4 pt moves in either direction will be easy and provide an easier dial for fine tuning the supply / demand balance.

• Informative
Reactions: TrendTrader007
While I'm all for questioning the validity of data from questionable sources, in this case, the data seems reasonable. In the referenced time period (1/13/2017 to present) from the last reputable source (I think we can all agree the numbers NASDAQ posts are as real as they get), TSLA went from around $235 to a peak around 258. As we approach the descending trend from ATH and Model 3 reveal at around 255 it seems reasonable that short interest would go up as they think we're hitting a peak.

We'll know for sure in a week or two when NASDAQ releases the numbers for the end of the month.
@racer26. i'm actually a tiny bit thankful for the Stanphyl rally of $179/share -> $254/share. 1/2 of a free Tesla for me :)

to be clear, im not questioning you, Vg, im suspicious of ValueWalk, no disrespect to you and your hard work

Just to clarify, all references that were included in the table (both Business Insider and Value Walk) have the same primary source, S3 Partners, a firm that is among other things analyzing short interest. I am following them for a while, and they are a legitimate source.

We seem to be set for a positive overall market environment tomorrow. After TSLA defied sizable shorting and down market today and convincingly bounced off the lower line of the regression channel, it is IMO set for robust up day, not unlike Jan 04 (see highlights on the chart). TSLA is also set for a bullish SMA(50) and SMA(200) crossover tomorrow. This is looking very bullish.

Snap1.png

Still flirting awfully close with the bottom of the channel. I would expect the channel puts us 260 < TSLA < 265 by Friday's close. I've been right the last two weeks about that. Suggests a big day tomorrow or the next day, hopefully we can get a reprieve from the barrage of uncertainty long enough to pull it off.
We have not been flirting with the bottom of the channel. We barely touched the MIDDLE of the channel yesterday.

Tesla not getting top safety pick might have some impact on SP.

Tesla says they've already fixed the (single) issue so I doubt there will be any reaction. If anything it brings more attention to the fact that Tesla makes very safe cars - something most people wouldn't expect of such a young car company; and that's not even taking into account the 40% reduction in crashes afforded by autopilot.

Reactions: EinSV and erthquake
Status
Not open for further replies.