Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable: TSLA Market Action

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my 2nd Model 3 invite today. I ordered two (waited in line first day, S owner, CA). I got the first invite the same day all the other first non-employees got theirs. Even though I reserved them both at the same time, the website always showed one reservation being earlier than the other.
What's the delivery date estimate on the second invite? Still 4 weeks?

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
Assuming the report is accurate, the most likely explanation IMO is that Panasonic cell production at GF1 can't keep up with Tesla Energy pack production as it ramps up to meet demand in Puerto Rico and elsewhere.

I normally don't put much stock in stories like this but since Samsung supplied the cells for the SA big battery the report is consistent with Tesla continuing to ramp TE production quickly and gobbling up cells wherever it can to meet demand while Panasonic ramps up TE cell production at GF1.

First cell production in the gigafactory was january 2017. Since then Tesla has had 3 quarters of at most a few hundred megawatt hour in TE delivery. And even then it's largest project had to use external sourced cells. If anything, this shows that Panasonic has been producing a very limited quantity of cells in the GF rather than that Tesla is 'gobbling up cells'.

• Helpful
Reactions: MitchJi and neroden
First cell production in the gigafactory was january 2017. Since then Tesla has had 3 quarters of at most a few hundred megawatt hour in TE delivery. And even then it's largest project had to use external sourced cells. If anything, this shows that Panasonic has been producing a very limited quantity of cells in the GF rather than that Tesla is 'gobbling up cells'.

I suppose “gobbling” is in the eye of the beholder. :)

If the story is true and Tesla is causing a worldwide shortage of cells then “gobbling up cells” seems like a fair description to me.

Whether the story is true or not remains to be seen. It has been mostly radio silence recently on Puerto Rico so will be interested to see where things end up this quarter and next with TE.

I think TE is primed for blowout growth and the only question is when.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MitchJi
Yeah, Google had trouble with TSLA today, so I switched to the Yahoo ticker.

Google is unusable now as a stock ticker, gonna miss that old crappy one but it was batter then most. Yahoo is the best I could find. Anyone else have a better one? Just a simple ticker that shows AH and pre-markets. You know, something exactly like Google got rid of.

Thanks for posting. Fred apparently came to essentially the same conclusion I did — that if the story is true then needing cells for TE is the most likely explanation:

“Now the report specifically references cells for electric vehicles, which are not the same cells used in Tesla’s stationary energy storage products, but that’s what would make sense for Panasonic to import cells in the US – unless they also can’t support the current low volume of Model 3 battery packs.”

Tesla Gigafactory is reportedly linked to global shortage of battery cells – but is it?

Google is unusable now as a stock ticker, gonna miss that old crappy one but it was batter then most. Yahoo is the best I could find. Anyone else have a better one? Just a simple ticker that shows AH and pre-markets. You know, something exactly like Google got rid of.

I occasionally post mean remarks about the new google finance site. I hate it.

If you are trying to show that you are a reliable source of information because seekingsleeze has balanced Tesla coverage your posts defending seekingsleeze have the opposite effect on this forum.

In other words if you are trying to prove that your analysis is useless makings posts claiming that seekingsleeze is an unbiased source of information with “a few bad apples” is an excellent way to accomplish that goal.

I’m trying to be helpful, but I pretty sure based on past experience when I have made posts that even hinted at being critical of you that this post will trigger several “disagrees” from you. That’s juvenile and also another excellent way to demonstrate that you are incapable of providing unbiased analysis.

Moderator note (ggr): this last paragraph crosses the written line by directly namecalling another member.
I was trying to help VA see that his behavior is counter productive.

Reactions: neroden
Status
Not open for further replies.