Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MX Shuts Down dangerously on Expressway–I'm losing faith in Tesla and my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It occurs to me that this sounds a lot like a pile of errors I got when I powered up my car once, which went away after a few seconds. In my case, I think it was related to having just installed a firmware update, but in your case, I wonder if there's a CANbus failure causing the car to not be able to communicate with some part of the car (maybe the steering column, maybe not).

Are there any updates on this?

It occurs to me that this sounds a lot like a pile of errors I got when I powered up my car once, which went away after a few seconds. In my case, I think it was related to having just installed a firmware update, but in your case, I wonder if there's a CANbus failure causing the car to not be able to communicate with some part of the car (maybe the steering column, maybe not).

It was the sterring column for me. SC replaced it and the same error did not come up again.

Hi Tangerine! Any other updates from Tesla on repairs?

hi all, sorry been away on travel the past few months for work and holiday.

The SC ended up replacing the steering column for me twice, since this happened to me twice, once on Lawrence Expressway and once in a parking after the initial fix a few months after.

So could be faulty steering columns that people are experiencing? Not sure, either way, I hope Tesla can isolate the issue so people can drive safely in their cars!

I had this issue happen with me on my way home from church today. It was just stuck in stop and go. Once at a stop, I was wiping dust off the instrument cluster area, and that's what I saw some steering assist error along with the slew of warnings. I threw the hazards on and tried two different resets. The final reset was the hard power-off and then waited two minutes in the car and then turned it back on.

Thankfully I was able to get going after that, but it was scary. I will call the SC first thing tomorrow to see if they can at least look at the logs and check the car out.

Scary stuff for sure. For people who haven't experience this ... it's easy to brush it off, but it's very difficult when it's happening to you and your only two options are to pray for a reboot to work or get a tow, all while traffic is backing up.

I'm hoping this was a one-off thing and won't happen again.

I had this issue happen with me on my way home from church today. It was just stuck in stop and go. Once at a stop, I was wiping dust off the instrument cluster area, and that's what I saw some steering assist error along with the slew of warnings. I threw the hazards on and tried two different resets. The final reset was the hard power-off and then waited two minutes in the car and then turned it back on.

Thankfully I was able to get going after that, but it was scary. I will call the SC first thing tomorrow to see if they can at least look at the logs and check the car out.

Scary stuff for sure. For people who haven't experience this ... it's easy to brush it off, but it's very difficult when it's happening to you and your only two options are to pray for a reboot to work or get a tow, all while traffic is backing up.

I'm hoping this was a one-off thing and won't happen again.

Sounds like a similar issue I had and thankfully your car got back up and running!

Let us know what the SC says. It sounds like a similar issue that happened to a small number of us. Interestingly I've only heard this happening more so on the MX than the MS.

SC is booked until 1/14, so I won't know for a while. It hasn't happened again, but I haven't tried to touch the area where the steering column is :p I think it was happenstance and maybe electrostatic from the microfiber or some force applied (gentle but still) on the column while the car was on and in drive was the culprit.

It hasn't had any issues since, and there have been no warning lights or anything. I still have the appointment on the calendar, so I'll see if they can pull the logs and tell me what happened.

Reactions: tangerine
SC is booked until 1/14, so I won't know for a while. It hasn't happened again, but I haven't tried to touch the area where the steering column is :p I think it was happenstance and maybe electrostatic from the microfiber or some force applied (gentle but still) on the column while the car was on and in drive was the culprit.

It hasn't had any issues since, and there have been no warning lights or anything. I still have the appointment on the calendar, so I'll see if they can pull the logs and tell me what happened.

Definitely pull some logs, and see if they find anything and to take precaution (because this happened to me twice). My SC did tell me my steering column shorted so it may be a similar issue.

I have my appointment, FINALLY, tomorrow. I'll see if they can pull the logs and see if they can tell me what went wrong. I also have some timestamps of phantom objects that I need them to look at. I wish I told tesla to NOT replace the things they damaged on delivery day. It took four months to get the parts, and ever since the car hasn't worked as well. Sad to say, but if you like it (can deal with) how it is, don't fix anything!

So I went to the SC to have the issue looked at. I spoke with a drive tech for a bit and they went to do more research. In the end, they said it was documented as a known issue. Basically what can happen is that if you apply pressure to the steering column while the car is on, it can trigger a fault. That fault is temporary and can be reset by manually powering down the car to the point where the high voltage battery is disconnected, and then powering the car on. They're still looking for a fix, but don't have anything as of yet.

The tech told me that going through that power cycle clears all the faults and then all faults that are still present after that will come back after the startup process.

He then showed me how to properly power off the car to try to reset the faults:

1) Power off the car and then exit the car and wait for a few minutes so that no one is in the car.
2) If you can't do that for safety reasons, just lift yourself off the seat since the sensor is on the seat and prop yourself up with your hands and feet and wait until you hear a double click noise behind you (that's the high voltage battery disconnecting). Once you hear that, you're safe to sit and power the car back on.

While it's not the ideal outcome, I'm satisfied with this answer and it seems to align with what I've been theorizing over the past month as I have had no issues resurface regarding this.

I have four instances of phantom objects, but that isn't really at the top of my list right now since it doesn't happen that often. I have a sensor + bracket ordered and mobile service will come out to replace that sensor if I decide that I really want to do that. I'm not sure I do, since I'm worried about them breaking one thing after fixing another.

Hope this information helps though.

So I went to the SC to have the issue looked at. I spoke with a drive tech for a bit and they went to do more research. In the end, they said it was documented as a known issue. Basically what can happen is that if you apply pressure to the steering column while the car is on, it can trigger a fault. That fault is temporary and can be reset by manually powering down the car to the point where the high voltage battery is disconnected, and then powering the car on. They're still looking for a fix, but don't have anything as of yet.

The tech told me that going through that power cycle clears all the faults and then all faults that are still present after that will come back after the startup process.

He then showed me how to properly power off the car to try to reset the faults:

1) Power off the car and then exit the car and wait for a few minutes so that no one is in the car.
2) If you can't do that for safety reasons, just lift yourself off the seat since the sensor is on the seat and prop yourself up with your hands and feet and wait until you hear a double click noise behind you (that's the high voltage battery disconnecting). Once you hear that, you're safe to sit and power the car back on.

While it's not the ideal outcome, I'm satisfied with this answer and it seems to align with what I've been theorizing over the past month as I have had no issues resurface regarding this.

I have four instances of phantom objects, but that isn't really at the top of my list right now since it doesn't happen that often. I have a sensor + bracket ordered and mobile service will come out to replace that sensor if I decide that I really want to do that. I'm not sure I do, since I'm worried about them breaking one thing after fixing another.

Hope this information helps though.
Thanks for the update. Did the technician recommend any ways to prevent this from happening?

Don't apply pressure to the steering column while driving :p

I was wiping things down with a cloth while I was stuck in traffic and that's how it all happened to begin with. It was immediate feedback as soon as I had applied light pressure to the area.
Thank you.

I sometimes rub the steering wheel in heavy traffic; it seems I need to stop doing that!!

It does, but the SC said that it's been documented across at least several vehicles, so it must not just be me. Shame there's some issue with the wiring there, but at least it's avoidable.

That's good to know that there's documented vehicles and not isolated to just a few of us. Hoping Tesla fixes this at the factory level to avoid others going through this same issue!

Reactions: TexasRat