Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.24 has Summon for M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, lots of fans on this site and people usually don't like it when I post negative comments about Tesla and I was kicked off another group for posting a video about the Model 3 that showed the car/brand in a bad way.

I got lots of drive errors like cruise control disabled, auto pilot disabled, EAB disabled, regen disabled so I had to go to service to flash down to 2018.21.9. Also, I may have corrupted files since I never fully updated to 2018.21.9 as it failed during install. I also didn't reinstall 2018.21.9 because I never were asked to install again by the app/car. It just showed up on my car the next day after the failed install. Service said I may get 2018.24 again and I should be okay to reinstall or wait for 2018.26.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and fseir
Sorry, lots of fans on this site and people usually don't like it when I post negative comments about Tesla and I was kicked off another group for posting a video about the Model 3 that showed the car/brand in a bad way.

I got lots of drive errors like cruise control disabled, auto pilot disabled, EAB disabled, regen disabled so I had to go to service to flash down to 2018.21.9. Also, I may have corrupted files since I never fully updated to 2018.21.9 as it failed during install. I also didn't reinstall 2018.21.9 because I never were asked to install again by the app/car. It just showed up on my car the next day after the failed install. Service said I may get 2018.24 again and I should be okay to reinstall or wait for 2018.26.

It sounds to me the main culprit was the failed install of 2018.21.9. Installing on top of a failed install probably introduced some new issues. I’ve had a failed install several versions ago, but I just called the Tesla 800 number and they pushed the same update to my Model 3 again and it installed successfully. In the short period of time I was driving around with the incomplete software install AP wasn’t working but everything else was.

Anyone with summon on their MS/MX care to comment on summon ...
Recent threads on EAPs autopark feature illustrate that it can hit curbs and even cars as it parks, so if you plan to use autopark it sounds like you need to monitor it quite closely.. . How is summon NOT this way? Other than you obviously CAN'T really monitor it because you are not in the car! I am confused. FWIW, my side mirrors have like ONE inch of clearance during my garage in/out maneuver.

Anyone with summon on their MS/MX care to comment on summon ...
Recent threads on EAPs autopark feature illustrate that it can hit curbs and even cars as it parks, so if you plan to use autopark it sounds like you need to monitor it quite closely.. . How is summon NOT this way? Other than you obviously CAN'T really monitor it because you are not in the car! I am confused. FWIW, my side mirrors have like ONE inch of clearance during my garage in/out maneuver.

You absolutely have to monitor summon — there are just as many stories about Summon hitting things too.

You can monitor Summon from outside your car and interrupt it (by app I guess on the M3, on the S/X by keyfob press) if it looks like it’s going south. You can do so by standing either in front of or behind the car and watching how it’s doing.

The argument in favor of Summon is that some people suck at parking situational awareness and do a better job of monitoring from outside the car than inside. You can decide for yourself if you subscribe to that view.

With that said, where this becomes dicey is the “allow tight spaces” equivalent option. By default Summon won’t allow getting closer than 4 inches or so from an obstacle. This option takes it down to like 1 inch.

Summon moves at 1mph. If you can’t interrupt a car moving at 1mph heading towards trouble, it really sounds like you’re not paying attention. But when you take that margin down to an inch, it’s risky. Things can go south really quickly.

You absolutely have to monitor summon — there are just as many stories about Summon hitting things too.

You can monitor Summon from outside your car and interrupt it (by app I guess on the M3, on the S/X by keyfob press) if it looks like it’s going south. You can do so by standing either in front of or behind the car and watching how it’s doing.

The argument in favor of Summon is that some people suck at parking situational awareness and do a better job of monitoring from outside the car than inside. You can decide for yourself if you subscribe to that view.

With that said, where this becomes dicey is the “allow tight spaces” equivalent option. By default Summon won’t allow getting closer than 4 inches or so from an obstacle. This option takes it down to like 1 inch.

Summon moves at 1mph. If you can’t interrupt a car moving at 1mph heading towards trouble, it really sounds like you’re not paying attention. But when you take that margin down to an inch, it’s risky. Things can go south really quickly.
Hmm. Sounds like I will be waiting for LOTS of feedback and videos before I get the courage to try summon in my garage ..

Hmm. Sounds like I will be waiting for LOTS of feedback and videos before I get the courage to try summon in my garage ..

Try it out in the open first. It's a $60,000 remote control car that moves forward or backwards in a straight line at a glacial pace.

The gotcha is: If it sense something too close to a side of the car (happens more if you use that allow-tight-spaces setting), it can attempt to turn slightly to adjust its course. THAT is usually when people get themselves into trouble with the car scraping a wall or whatever else.

The danger like most accidents is that if you ever get overconfident that Summon has worked for you 300 days in a row, that 301st day could be a really bad day.