Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.7 a3159ea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there way to determine what the current software update is on AP1 Mx? That's what I drive, I'm on 2017.50.2 3bd9sf6d and have been since December. I'm connected to a wifi every night, but, no update notifications since then. Thinking AP1 updates are going to be fewer and fewer, but would like to know how to make sure I'm up to date. Thanks.

Is there way to determine what the current software update is on AP1 Mx? That's what I drive, I'm on 2017.50.2 3bd9sf6d and have been since December. I'm connected to a wifi every night, but, no update notifications since then. Thinking AP1 updates are going to be fewer and fewer, but would like to know how to make sure I'm up to date. Thanks.
All of the details can be found here.
http://firmware.teslafi.com

Current build for most of us is 2018.6.1 (6 is week 6). 2018.8 is expected soon unless it is skipped (we are in week 10). But the odd week 2018.7 is probably for a small group like beta testers is the speculation.

• Informative
Reactions: Xcelerator
Screenshot_20180305-175640.jpg

AP 1
Recieved last update couple of weeks ago

Reactions: Xcelerator
Well, it will find you whether you are on WiFi or not. Downloads also come by cellular.

What used to be true back last year (don't know if it is anymore) is that update notifications come with a bit of metadata, including "how long to try to download on wifi" and "what to do if we can't download on wifi during that timeframe".

AT the time of the 8.0 push, the settings were "2 weeks" and "download anyway on LTE".

So for most OTA updates not initiated by service personnel, they do technically arrive a week or two faster if you have wifi. But even if you don't, you'll get it over LTE anyway.

Just wondering what comes before alpha? Egyptian hieroglyphs? :)
Wish we had the Rosetta Stone (aka the full release notes)...

"dev builds" it seems :)

I'm sure release notes will be largely useless too. I work at a large software company and I cannot tell you the number of times that the bug ticket title of submissions that go into the engineering release notes are misleading or incomplete. And the same goes for commit logs in repositories.

Unless you want to get a source diff and have the time to go through everything, there's no such thing as comprehensive lists of changes :)

Sorry, I am probably misunderstanding the question ;-) I'll try to clarify. Most often the failure message occurs right after the download when a Cyclic Redundancy Check is being done on the firmware and before it replaces the existing firmware. Then other system checks come after that.
nope.
there's no crc check. Basically it works like this (for s/x, different for 3):

1. Download a patch file from Tesla when your car is scheduled
2. once download completes, apply the patch file to the offline partition (there are two firmware partitions: online and offline) (on both ic and cid)
3. perform integrity checking of the resultant image (obviously failure at an of the steps results in restart from 1)
4. ap2+ cars only, download additional firmware for the ape if it's not already precached. (could be precached if you update to the same version)
5. display the install prompt
6. one install is started - check the version to ensure it's not a downgrade
7. Update ape
8. update gateway and various blocks connected to it (complicated process with many opportunities for failures)
9. tell ape and ic to switch online and offline partition markings around and reboot
10. switch online/offline on cid and reboot.
11. compare versions of ic and ape to what they should be - if different - display update failed even though cid runs new firmware.
12. display update is succesful.

nope.
there's no crc check. Basically it works like this (for s/x, different for 3):

1. Download a patch file from Tesla when your car is scheduled
2. once download completes, apply the patch file to the offline partition (there are two firmware partitions: online and offline) (on both ic and cid)
3. perform integrity checking of the resultant image (obviously failure at an of the steps results in restart from 1)
4. ap2+ cars only, download additional firmware for the ape if it's not already precached. (could be precached if you update to the same version)
5. display the install prompt
6. one install is started - check the version to ensure it's not a downgrade
7. Update ape
8. update gateway and various blocks connected to it (complicated process with many opportunities for failures)
9. tell ape and ic to switch online and offline partition markings around and reboot
10. switch online/offline on cid and reboot.
11. compare versions of ic and ape to what they should be - if different - display update failed even though cid runs new firmware.
12. display update is succesful.
yup. item 3 is what I am talking about.

Well, I don't know what is it you knew and how deeply you worked with the system, but if you still have the ability, check those car logs at around the update time.

Compare the handshake-response time with the update sentinel and ape cache ssq times.
great idea. I do have ability to check logs, but now may be too long ago to check. I was thinking maybe I am misunderstanding talking about different things. Around August I was having difficulty getting any updates. Constantly seeing the failure error. So, a Tesla friend came over, put it a code and we saw where it was failing. The expected result value was displayed and actual value. In summary, my router was continuing to disconnected for whatever reason while trying to get an update. We moved the car away from the house and an update worked perfectly. So we made changes to the router and everything has worked perfectly ever since that time. Ok, admittedly it has been six months and when you get to my age you don't remember details well, so maybe you know what really happened. I'm just happy we resolved the issue. I could have sworn we saw CRC values, but I can be wrong. Thanks for the info.

My update to presumably 2018.6.1 (I am still on 2017.50.3) failed again for the second time in a row over the past week (message says failed and I would get a new update). This time I called it in and the techs said they reviewed the logs and saw no hardware faults but only generic failure late in the process. They had me power down the car using the controls on the main screen, they said they sent me something (because while I was sitting in the car powered down, the windshield wipers activated briefly to my surprise and the tech said that was him connected to the car), and then he had me power back up. He said he would push a new update and it would take 24-48 hours. I interpret that to mean that I would have always received a new update anyway just like the last time it failed, but maybe he expedited it? Who knows - I didn't get it yet. I hope it installs OK this time around. Maybe the shut down of the car and formal 'reboot' will allow the update to succeed next time. Upset it failed twice but not the end of the world I guess. My SC is only 15 minutes from my house if I need an appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200