Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Leaf vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should we really compare Leaf with the TM3? I think it's more a competitor of the Chevy Bolt.....
There are exactly 3 <$40k BEVs that will be selling US wide soonish. Obviously they will be compared by buyers.

Leaf :

Inexpensive.
Good as a regional car (esp. if you have CHAdeMO network nearby).
Lots of good leases to be had.
Attractive for anyone who don't have much marginal utility for that 150 to 220 mile extra range.
Reliable.
Likely easy availability.

Model 3 :

Better brand image / status
More range
SC
Technically edgy / expect problems
Expensive options
Not easily available

Bolt :

More range
Expensive but lots of good lease deals around
Easy availability

The M3 reveal had anti selling written all over it. They really want people to consider the MS and MX instead.
I say the same exact thing. Tesla does not want anymore Model 3 orders. That's a shame.

I love what Elon Musk wants to do in that he wants to accelerate the world in using sustainable energy. I absolutely love it.

Problem: The world seems to want it more than he does as we have responded. Tesla cant accelerate as fast as the world wants.

I foresee Tesla coupling Solar Roofs with a new affordable car. The model 3 is "more" affordable than the Model S and X, however.....its not truly affordable for the masses.

Impressive video. Though this full autonomous functionality is not available in Gen2. Single lane driving available now. Lane change capability coming later, possibly thru software updates.

I wonder if Leaf would have full autonomous braking at all speeds as a standard feature? Tesla M3 is not without the Autopilot upgrade.
Not so fast - that autonomous solution at least for now runs the red lights and tries to kill you by driving under the trucks:
Quotes from video: "Bloody hell" "Bloody hell!"

From what I read it seems Nissan's ProPilot is meant for HWY travel in a single lane, meaning no lane changes, and no local roads.
What's most interesting to me about the Nissan video is that they took so many shots at the Model 3. For example. "We put our cameras on the roof and not down on the side because that's useless". AND " You don't have to touch any levers to restore autopilot.....just let go of the steering wheel to re-engage auto pilot".

Not so fast - that autonomous solution at least for now runs the red lights and tries to kill you by driving under the trucks:
Quotes from video: "Bloody hell" "Bloody hell!"
Exactly why I couldn't care less what a demo car can do. Unless the technology is in a production car and I can operate it myself I can't trust what people say on youtube. I've used EAP in the Model S and it's definitely worth $5k for me given how much I plan on using it. I have no idea what ProPilot can do. Also no idea when FSD is coming out so I'm not paying for that either.

Reactions: anonim1979
We drive a 30KWH 2016 Leaf SV. For our type of driving we are good for a max range of about 200 KM but plan around 160 km when planning longer trips...which is only a few times per year. My guess is the 40KWh battery would be a nice improvement for us when the time comes. However, we will consider the m3 when the time comes (2021) but only if the there is a service centre within 100 km. From the Tesla owners we know and read about, Teslas have their share of little issues. Nissan leafs however, for the most part, don't. We can put up with little things but not if I have to drive 500 km every time something needs fixing. I suspect we are not alone in thinking this way.

Would I pay more for a Tesla. Sure, a little, but the super charger network means very little to me. It's a nice to have, not need to have facility.

Come 2021 there will be lots of competitors. We will definetly consider the Tesla. Beautiful car.

Reactions: internalaudit
As someone who would like to transition from ICE to EV and can't afford a Model S, the new Leaf definitely has my attention. Looking forward to checking it out in-person in Seattle this Friday (apparently the Leaf will be making an appearance at Denny Park, a few blocks away from my office). Interested to see what lease options Nissan will have. The hatchback, seemingly smaller width compared to the 3, and price tag all make the new Leaf super competitive with the Model 3 for me. I could care less about 0-60 times, only drive 5-6K mostly city miles per year, and want as much feature bang for my buck as possible at around $35k (before tax credit).

If Nissan offers enticing lease options, I could totally see us canceling our 3 reservation and jumping into a new Leaf.
Boy, I would love to see your pro/con list comparing these 2 cars. Clearly you must not value the differentiators that seem like this is a no brainer. Please share!

why not? if youre looking for an EV in the ~35k range, all 3 of these cars are available.

Because if you live anywhere that gets above 80F on a regular basis only two of the three have active cooling.

* Tesla - no degradation to speak of, range will stay impressive

* Chevy Bolt - unknown degradation record but active cooling should do similar to Tesla any degradation is likely to be minor

* Nissan Leaf - no active cooling, guaranteed reduction of range month by month with additional degradation in the summer. Already has the shortest range and due to heat degradation that range deficit will get worse over time.

I'm baffled by such comments. Over 60% of US households are multi-car families. Infact every one of my co-workers, neighbors, friends & family have atleast 2 cars. It makes perfect sense for one of them to be an EV. The market is huge - 60% of US households (over 60 Million), not a "very small group".

Even with the original 73/84 mile Leaf over 90% of my trips have been done in a Leaf. Definitely the 150 mile Leaf will be better.

Says the guy in the Pacific Northwest that doesn't have to worry about heat degradation.

For any conversation about a Nissan Leaf you might as well chop north America in half at the 39th parallel and lump you northerners with Canada and anyone south of that line with Mexico and imagine a few miles around the 39th as a neutral zone.

art%20line%20map%20bw.jpg

It's not an accurate climate zone divider but for a quick and dirty rule of thumb it'll do.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which cars the LEAF2 competes against, but I am sure it does not compete against the Model 3.
It does compete against the m3 it's just not good enough for some people to see it as a competitor. If the leaf stats and design would of been as good or better for less money than a m3. I would of canceled my m3 deposit and considered the leaf. When you look at accelation, design, range, super charger/charging speed, size and image/reputation the tesla is the winner. So in that sense your right it does not compete.

Says the guy in the Pacific Northwest that doesn't have to worry about heat degradation.
My local climate annual ambient average temperature is 57F;
We baby our LEAF: 95+% of the time in the shade outside of winter,
Charging up to 80% in the cool morning hours ...

And I STILL see degradation, sometimes as much as 1% in a month.
The LEAF works great for us, as a glorified NEV. And yet my wife still wants to charge the car daily due to range anxiety LOL

One of the truly strange aspects of LEAF ownership is the inclination to accept the battery degradation rates as normal and OK. The attitude is in full bloom over at the LEAF forum. To outsiders who are not EV fanatics it must look verrry odd. If not for the Tesla I would be an EV skeptic.

Last edited:
The first real all electric, easily available car was Nissan Leaf, its sales were very interesting. Telsa must be praised because they are really pushing electric cars.
A big advantage of Tesla cars is about the fact they are selling them cheaper than they cost, this is not viable in the long term, but for consumers it's great, but it can't be like that forever.
The new Leaf sounds like a great car, the range of 230k miles is a big improvement and when most be able to buy the model 3, probably the range of the leaf will be even better. Model 3 is far from cheap, the base mode is very basic, when you start to add the great stuff, price skyrockets.
Normally the price of the cars is under evaluated on most reviews, but making something great at any price is a lot easier than making something good at a reasonable price.
Model 3 coolness is really good, but many of it it's impractical, that huge screen to control everything can't beat usability of dedicated buttons for dedicated functions per example (note that dedicated buttons is the more expensive solution - take the example of photographic cameras - cheap ones use the screen for most operations).
Currently Tesla and Nissan (maybe Chevrolet too now) are way ahead of everyone else regarding all electric cars, but I believe other current big car manufacturers will catch up very fast and will keep the lead they currently have (GM, Toyota, Mercedes, BMW, ...).

My local climate annual ambient average temperature is 57F;
We baby our LEAF: 95+% of the time in the shade outside of winter,
Charging up to 80% in the cool morning hours ...

And I STILL see degradation, sometimes as much as 1% in a month.
The LEAF works great for us, as a glorified NEV. And yet my wife still wants to charge the car daily due to range anxiety LOL

One of the truly strange aspects of LEAF ownership is the inclination to accept the battery degradation rates as normal and OK. The attitude is in full bloom over at the LEAF forum. To outsiders who are not EV fanatics it must look verrry odd. If not for the Tesla I would be an EV skeptic.

It's as if the only issue with EVs is battery degradation. True, it is one of the most expensive and major components but other repairs can set you back more than a few thousands too.