Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So honestly, not impressed with this latest update.

x) No LTE (+no browser, no streaming)
x) No voice recognition (completely deaf, recognizes nothing)
x) Sentry mode goes off even with passengers inside, and shutting off the noise takes a LONG time (10 seconds plus)
x) Bug reporting doesn't work because no LTE and no voice recognition.

Tried warm boot, cold boot, no change.

Audio and LTE issues resolved themselves after some hours. No idea how, it was nothing I did (tried reboots hours earlier and that did not help), it simply started working during a short drive.

Seems like the latest update made AP more aggressive with stopping distance.

Prior it seemed like when it detected stopped vehicles in front it would use mainly regen to come to a stop.. now it seems like the deceleration is a lot faster and it waits longer to stop.... anyone else notice that?

Seems like the latest update made AP more aggressive with stopping distance.

Prior it seemed like when it detected stopped vehicles in front it would use mainly regen to come to a stop.. now it seems like the deceleration is a lot faster and it waits longer to stop.... anyone else notice that?

I have noticed that since I got my car a few months ago.

Here is the best answer to the AP woes. Constant restructuring leads to delays and slow progress.
Tesla's head of Autopilot software leaves in restructuring - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: Dogtone
I park in an apartment garage with no Wi-Fi. My 3 indicated that a maps update is available, so I made an appt next week with the SC to tap their Wi-Fi and download it. That’s all good, but I’m on 2019.20.4.2, which the SC pushed to me when I went in before. Should I ask them to push a newer software update, like 28.3.1, or just wait until a better update is issued?

BTW, when Tesla texted me to confirm the service appt, they indicated that I didn’t need to wait for the scheduled appt; I could just come by and log into their Wi-Fi to do the download (and they estimated the maps download would take 1-2 hours).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I park in an apartment garage with no Wi-Fi. My 3 indicated that a maps update is available, so I made an appt next week with the SC to tap their Wi-Fi and download it. That’s all good, but I’m on 2019.20.4.2, which the SC pushed to me when I went in before. Should I ask them to push a newer software update, like 28.3.1, or just wait until a better update is issued?

BTW, when Tesla texted me to confirm the service appt, they indicated that I didn’t need to wait for the scheduled appt; I could just come by and log into their Wi-Fi to do the download (and they estimated the maps download would take 1-2 hours).

Thanks for your thoughts.
Do you happen to get good cell phone reception where you park? I'm asking for your phone, not your car. Here's why...

If you do happen to get good cell phone reception, if your phone supports it, turn it into a WiFi hot spot, and let your car connect to it. Of course, your data speed is still going to be limited by how fast your cell phone's data is, but you can still use it in this manner to get updates, albeit very slowly. You could attach a large external battery to your phone, set it up as a WiFi hot spot, let the car connect to it over WiFi, and let it do the update over the course of the next 12 hours or so. Keep in mind this will use up your phone's data, so if you pay for cell data per gig, you'll want to plan accordingly. But if you're on an unlimited data plan, then there's no worries.

I have connected my car to my phone by doing this, as there's a large section of Interstate 15 where I live (out in the boonies) where my cell phone still gets good reception but my car gets nothing, but I haven't tried to receive any sort of over-the-air updates this way.

Just something you might want to try.

Your car doesn't do LTE (cell data) OTA updates because Tesla doesn't want to pay the large data bill by updating the fleet this way, not because it isn't fast enough.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
I’m wouldn’t say it’s an AP woe, it’s just different. And it’s definitely with the latest update.

I wonder if it is the update or the situation you were in? I find if there is a curve in the road and vehicles are stopped or slowing up ahead it take ways to long to see them. If I can see them then the 3 cameras perched up on the windshield should see them. The hardware is there but the programming is not fine tuned yet and that is the main issue.

I wonder if it is the update or the situation you were in? I find if there is a curve in the road and vehicles are stopped or slowing up ahead it take ways to long to see them. If I can see them then the 3 cameras perched up on the windshield should see them. The hardware is there but the programming is not fine tuned yet and that is the main issue.

Totally agree. It's frustrating how short-sighted AP is.

I took my newly updated M3 out for an AP ride this afternoon - just to see what changed. I had a car pull out of a driveway, pretty far in front of me, and the M3 slammed on the brakes - so hard that my bucket of KFC chicken was tossed all over the floor on the passenger's side. Not loving it, just yet...

AP is not, of course, intended to be used any place there are driveways for cars to pull out of. (or any place else a car might cross the flow of traffic in a different direction than you are going)

I took my newly updated M3 out for an AP ride this afternoon - just to see what changed. I had a car pull out of a driveway, pretty far in front of me, and the M3 slammed on the brakes - so hard that my bucket of KFC chicken was tossed all over the floor on the passenger's side. Not loving it, just yet...

I think 2019.28.3 just did you a huge favor.:)

Do you happen to get good cell phone reception where you park? I'm asking for your phone, not your car. Here's why...

If you do happen to get good cell phone reception, if your phone supports it, turn it into a WiFi hot spot, and let your car connect to it. Of course, your data speed is still going to be limited by how fast your cell phone's data is, but you can still use it in this manner to get updates, albeit very slowly. You could attach a large external battery to your phone, set it up as a WiFi hot spot, let the car connect to it over WiFi, and let it do the update over the course of the next 12 hours or so. Keep in mind this will use up your phone's data, so if you pay for cell data per gig, you'll want to plan accordingly. But if you're on an unlimited data plan, then there's no worries.

I have connected my car to my phone by doing this, as there's a large section of Interstate 15 where I live (out in the boonies) where my cell phone still gets good reception but my car gets nothing, but I haven't tried to receive any sort of over-the-air updates this way.

Just something you might want to try.

Your car doesn't do LTE (cell data) OTA updates because Tesla doesn't want to pay the large data bill by updating the fleet this way, not because it isn't fast enough.

Thanks. I’ve done the hotspot before, but it won’t work for a large maps update. My question was really - If I’m at the SC for 1-2 hours for the maps update, is it worth updating to 2019.28, or should I wait because of the issues people have raised about 2019.28?

I don’t think so. I take the same route to work every day and hit the same stop lights. It just waits a little longer to apply the breaks. It’s not like I need to take over or anything, but I just noticed the deceleration was different.

Might have missed a past posting that explains this but this latest version has fixed the ‘dancing cars’ when sitting at a light. I still see some that float into my lane but it is not nearly as bad as the car caricatures bee bopin around when sitting still