Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well not sure anyone notice, but teslafi has changed the display name for the model 3 it now list as:

Model 3310
Model 3310D
Model 3310P
Model 3260
Model 3240
Model 3220
Model 3220D
Model 3260D

Some of them is easy to figure out, with D meaning dual motor and P meaning performance. I’m assuming. 260 is Midrange
240 is standard range +, and 220 is standard range. Not sure about the D placement behind the 220 and 260 because the midrange and standard range do/did not offer dual motor.

Wonder if that something new coming. Just me wondering haha

AFAIK, this isn't true. There are a few people who've posted that they tried enabling the "Advanced" software update mode and that it had no obvious effect, based on one or two update cycles. I've also seen people post that the setting does have an effect. There's enough variability in update times and lack of clarity about precisely what the setting is supposed to do that, absent inside access to Tesla's procedures surrounding this setting, we'd need a controlled study involving dozens or hundreds of vehicles, likely over several software updates, followed by competent statistical analysis, in order to make a judgment on the question of whether the "Advanced" software update switch does anything. I have yet to see any such analysis posted here, or even any effort to organize one. (I am not volunteering to do so.)

you basically described how the update process was before - completely random

I've had advanced switched on since it came out and would get the update around 25% of when teslafi does. But Im still on 24.4 today and 28.x is at about 70%. On wifi everyday.

I've got HW3 without FSD/EAP and just updated from 2019.24 to 2019.28.3 . This morning the autopilot went through a particular onramp without phantom braking like it usually does. Fingers are crossed that it's a bit improved.

With V10 being delayed I wonder if there will be any more software releases (like a 2019.32.x but V9) before then.

I've got HW3 without FSD/EAP and just updated from 2019.24 to 2019.28.3
Any chance there's a ".1" at the end of your version number, making it 2019.28.3.1? That's the very latest version (the .1 one), and it seems odd that they'd update you to just 28.3.

Glad to hear it corrected one of your phantom braking spots. I have a couple of those spots that phantom brake *every time*, regardless of traffic; having cars in that area doesn't affect the phantom braking.. it does it every time in those few spots. I sure wish there was a way that I could mark those places for Tesla to take a look at.

I just got the update yesterday, so time to go try out my phantom braking spots today!

Yes, it's 2019.28.3.1 . It seemed like the cut-in/merge detection was better than my 2019.24 release, but that could have been a one-off.

One thing that is not improved is that the autopilot speed limits on highway exits are still a little bit of a drastic cut. It wants to slow down more than traffic, and you get people riding on your bumper. So I'm still overriding that with accelerator pedal input, but the actual phantom braking was better.

you basically described how the update process was before - completely random

I've had advanced switched on since it came out and would get the update around 25% of when teslafi does. But Im still on 24.4 today and 28.x is at about 70%. On wifi everyday.

The point is that the "Advanced update" switch could be having an effect that's difficult or impossible to discern by an individual after one or two updates because of statistical noise. For instance, suppose it causes the car to poll for updates more frequently (like twice a day rather than every two days); or suppose it communicates with Tesla's servers and bumps your car up in Tesla's queue so it's possible to update it a day earlier? These would be real effects, but the chances of one person detecting them would be just about nil.

When the "Advanced update" feature was announced, a lot of people seemed to assume that it would mean that, if it was set, they'd get all the public releases as soon as they're made available. That's clearly not the case, but to say that the setting has "no effect," as some people are claiming, is simply premature. Tesla isn't giving us details about what the feature is doing, and as end users we lack the necessary data. We might be able to figure it out with a controlled scientific study, but as I wrote before, it would probably take at least dozens of cars over multiple software updates to figure it out.

(FWIW, I have a PhD in cognitive psychology, a field in which identifying obscure causes via careful study and statistical analysis is the norm. This issue with Tesla's "Advanced update" feature is very similar to the problem of figuring out the effect of fonts on reading comprehension or emotional stress on problem solving. In all these cases, you can't draw a conclusion based on a few random observations, because there's too much variability in the individual data points; it's necessary to carefully control variables and analyze the data from dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of observations.)

The point is that the "Advanced update" switch could be having an effect that's difficult or impossible to discern by an individual after one or two updates because of statistical noise. For instance, suppose it causes the car to poll for updates more frequently (like twice a day rather than every two days); or suppose it communicates with Tesla's servers and bumps your car up in Tesla's queue so it's possible to update it a day earlier? These would be real effects, but the chances of one person detecting them would be just about nil.

When the "Advanced update" feature was announced, a lot of people seemed to assume that it would mean that, if it was set, they'd get all the public releases as soon as they're made available. That's clearly not the case, but to say that the setting has "no effect," as some people are claiming, is simply premature. Tesla isn't giving us details about what the feature is doing, and as end users we lack the necessary data. We might be able to figure it out with a controlled scientific study, but as I wrote before, it would probably take at least dozens of cars over multiple software updates to figure it out.

(FWIW, I have a PhD in cognitive psychology, a field in which identifying obscure causes via careful study and statistical analysis is the norm. This issue with Tesla's "Advanced update" feature is very similar to the problem of figuring out the effect of fonts on reading comprehension or emotional stress on problem solving. In all these cases, you can't draw a conclusion based on a few random observations, because there's too much variability in the individual data points; it's necessary to carefully control variables and analyze the data from dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of observations.)

fair enough. I would like to know if anyone has the standard update preference and around when they got updates. That's a bit more difficult because if youre on TMC or use TeslaFi, you likely have it switched to advanced

I just got the update yesterday, so time to go try out my phantom braking spots today!

If you can, you should start another thread with video links showing phantom braking occurrences. I'm very curious about these events, as I've never experienced anything other than very minor slowdowns (which seemed like they were due to other vehicles in adjacent lanes on slight curves). I realize it will be difficult to tell in the TeslaCam video (you will be able to see the nose of the car dip on braking though), but still curious. Just would be cool to see the spots where the issues occur and get a sense for the severity.

I'm on standard and got updated to 28.3.1 (from 24.4) yesterday afternoon.

Same here, although I received my update announcement in the evening. The update completed at 9:01 PM (US Eastern Time), according to TeslaFi.

damn, thanks for the datapoints. My advanced software update preference + wifi everyday and Im still on 24.4! I need linked volume control with my phone!

AFAIK, this isn't true. There are a few people who've posted that they tried enabling the "Advanced" software update mode and that it had no obvious effect, based on one or two update cycles. I've also seen people post that the setting does have an effect. There's enough variability in update times and lack of clarity about precisely what the setting is supposed to do that, absent inside access to Tesla's procedures surrounding this setting, we'd need a controlled study involving dozens or hundreds of vehicles, likely over several software updates, followed by competent statistical analysis, in order to make a judgment on the question of whether the "Advanced" software update switch does anything. I have yet to see any such analysis posted here, or even any effort to organize one. (I am not volunteering to do so.)

Absolutely! Our two Model 3's are both configured without activation of the "advanced updates" or whatever they call it and yesterday we got 2019.28.3.1 from 2019.24.1 which means we skipped a couple of upgrades (this is the first one that had chess).

Totally stoked on the configurable phone key/driver profiles because I'm 6'-04" and whenever I would get in my wife's car the seat would proceed to slide forward and crumple my knees into the dashboard. Problem is now solved!

I got the .3.1 update today in Norway.
No advanced firmware set, just the default.

On a side note, I think 2019.28 in general has much better AP than .24, especially at on ramps on the high-way. Instead of having to yank control at every on ramp as the car would swerve right to "center" I now only have to do it maybe half the time.
Phantom breaking also seems reduced somewhat but it might just be placebo :)

edit: woops, wrong forum. this was the M3 forum, I have a MX.. but still :)

I'm very curious about these events, as I've never experienced anything other than very minor slowdowns (which seemed like they were due to other vehicles in adjacent lanes on slight curves).

I've had the same experience as you, no major hard phantom braking events, only brief "hiccups". I assume the different experiences are more due to driver perceptions than any actual differences. For example, what a confident driver might perceive as a minor hiccup could be reported by a more timid, less confident driver as a jarring, scary, life-threatening event (because it did something unexpected).

Just got the update last night. Definitely noticing a MUCH longer period between “apply steering torque” notifications on NOA. Sitting in stop and go traffic I time 2.5 mins between notifications. Used to be 30 seconds on 2019.24

That's probably because of your speed, not the new update.
"Nags" to apply steering wheel torque depend on distance traveled, not time elapsed.
The faster you travel, the more frequent the nags will appear (if not input is detected of course).
New logic for “Hold Steering Wheel” nags in 2018.21.9