Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.36.1 Reports Coming In....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received 2019.36.1 on Friday night. No Cones, no Hold, no power increase, no range increase. Only Schedule Departure and Automatic Navigation. June-2018 MX. Must only be newer cars.

That's one of the problems. The ability to upgrade cars over the air is touted, but many new features aren't supported on older models. That's why I say Teslas aren't cars with some cell phone features, they are cell phones with wheels. People throw away their cell phones every two years, but cars need to be supported longer. I'm not going to get excited about the air updates.

That's one of the problems. The ability to upgrade cars over the air is touted, but many new features aren't supported on older models. That's why I say Teslas aren't cars with some cell phone features, they are cell phones with wheels. People throw away their cell phones every two years, but cars need to be supported longer. I'm not going to get excited about the air updates.

I can tell you that in 5 years of Tesla ownership, my cars have continuously improved thanks to OTA updates.
Of course there will come a time when hardware updates are needed to support new features, but these are less frequent than your typical smartphone cycle and certainly much less frequent than the new benefits we can from software updates.

So I am optimistic and always look forward to cool OTA updates, especially when the firmware (actual firmware that controls hardware such as inverters and motors) improves said hardware, such as more power (which happened in both my P85D and M3P) and better regen (such as this latest update that makes a dramatic improvement of regen all the way to a stop!)

I can tell you that in 5 years of Tesla ownership, my cars have continuously improved thanks to OTA updates.
Of course there will come a time when hardware updates are needed to support new features, but these are less frequent than your typical smartphone cycle and certainly much less frequent than the new benefits we can from software updates.

So I am optimistic and always look forward to cool OTA updates, especially when the firmware (actual firmware that controls hardware such as inverters and motors) improves said hardware, such as more power (which happened in both my P85D and M3P) and better regen (such as this latest update that makes a dramatic improvement of regen all the way to a stop!)

I'm pretty sure my year old X won't be seeing much in the way of improvements. I'd love to get a few more miles to the charge, but I'm being told they've actually reduced the range and I'm starting to wonder if they are reducing my charge rate. Over the air updates that improve my car in ways that reduce it's utility.

Needs to be raven model X for the impovements in power and regen. You will not get it.
Yes, motor improvements are only applicable on the new model 3 motors design. The Raven version only have one of those, this is why Raven MS and MX only get 3% improvement instead of 5% for the M3. And it needs to have HW3 for the cones.
The thing I’m not sure about is the HOLD function. Why only M3 or Raven get it?

I'm getting a jerking motion when I resume after coming to a stop in Hold mode. Its seems that the motors are trying to turn before the brake is released. Once the brake is released, the car surges a little as the motors are preloaded with torque.

Coming to a stop is completely smooth, though.

Yes, motor improvements are only applicable on the new model 3 motors design. The Raven version only have one of those, this is why Raven MS and MX only get 3% improvement instead of 5% for the M3. And it needs to have HW3 for the cones.

The Model 3 has a permanent magnet motor in the rear and an induction motor in the front. The S and X have induction motors in the rear and permanent magnet motors in the front.

Probably both. The release notes on my performance raven S say they tweaked the permanent magnet front motor for more power, but numbers were posted in another thread that showed they also increased the power to the rear induction motor. I haven't seen any similar posts for the 3, but it's probably the same.

Musk also said the Model S would get 50 hp which is about 7% more power. I guess this might be for the performance model vs the 3% for non-performance.

When you say new design M3 only, when exactly did that change? I assume i have the new model design as I picked my car up on Aug 1, 2019. However, as usual I am very behind everyone when it comes to software rollouts. I’m still waiting....‍♂️

When you say new design M3 only, when exactly did that change? I assume i have the new model design as I picked my car up on Aug 1, 2019. However, as usual I am very behind everyone when it comes to software rollouts. I’m still waiting....‍♂️
When I said new design I meant for Tesla in general. M3 came with a new premanent magnet motors. So if you have a M3, whatever the production date, you have them. For S and X it only came with the Raven upgrade eralier this year.

My car received 36.2.1 a few nights ago. Of course I immediately tried out the one-pedal driving mode. Other than an annoying little click behind the dash when the brakes get set to 'hold' it seems to work pretty well. (Of course the sound system usually drowns out the clicking noise.) Backing up is a little non-intuitive at first though.

A question for those who have experienced true one-pedal driving in other EVs - e.g., Leaf e-Pedal, Bolt EV "L" mode, etc. How does the Tesla implementation compare?

The new departure time charging is a step in the right direction. But still pales compared to the extensive facility that GMs Volt and Bolt EV have. At a minimum, Tesla should allow different start times for weekday vs weekend. On the Volt, I can enter the entire PG&E rate schedule into the car - peak/part-peak/off-peak time periods for weekdays vs weekends and summer vs winter. Then one can choose to have the car optimize the charging based on cost, time of departure, etc.