Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove about 8 hours in the rain yesterday. This auto-wiper update is absolutely horrible. It doesn’t appear to recognize water that is kicked up on you by cars around you, I constantly was having to press the wipe button or just turn them fully on.
It's never going to work as good as a traditional IR system, a classic case of deploy the hardware thinking they will tweak software part to work because 'it should be able to'. There is no plan b, I've been on manual wipers for almost a year now.

I still can't believe during the development of this car that somebody didn't notice along the way that the Tesla camera based system has issues and maybe they should fit an IR sensor as a backup.
Perhaps during development they just had someone holding a hose pointed at the windscreen, yep this works perfectly, on to the next task :rolleyes:

Perhaps during development they just had someone holding a hose pointed at the windscreen, yep this works perfectly, on to the next task :rolleyes:

I would bet money that's exactly what happened.

Identical thought process for 8 camera's on the car to provide FSD. Hey it dried off the water, looks good to me. Ship another 700,000 cars claiming they can do "FSD". Where that doesn't include anywhere that has winter. Dirty briney deposits immediately obscuring every camera except the windshield, assuming the car can figure out to run the wipers.

So why the 40.x.x version number over the 36.x.x. for such a small jump? Am missing something? Is Tesla splitting the software upgrade track based on Model and features? Why are what appear to be new raven models seeing the 36.x.x upgrades instead of 40.x.x?
I wouldn't read this much into the version numbers. They are automatically generated by their Continuous Integration pipeline when they push code to Git, based on the current year and week of year. New features and changes get merged into master and released when they are ready to be released, into whatever week/build they happen to be in at that time.

One of the biggest autopilot rewrites ever was a xx.1- release.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It's not related to the suggested speed sign. It's getting the ramp speed from its map -- specifically it is the "Fleet Speed" information from the map, which is the average speed that ramp is taken at by Tesla drivers. This is itself a stupid idea that none of us ever agreed to, but not as stupid as thinking you can do this with GPS. The car thinks you took the exit, because GPS isn't accurate enough to be used for this... doesn't stop Tesla from trying though.

I'm slightly bitter about this, if you can't tell.
Ok this makes a lot of sense now, but should be turned off when noa is not active...thanks for clarifying and you have every right to be bitter. Now that I understand properly what’s going on with the car I’m not as annoyed. I guess we all have come to terms to the small price we pay.

It's never going to work as good as a traditional IR system, a classic case of deploy the hardware thinking they will tweak software part to work because 'it should be able to'. There is no plan b, I've been on manual wipers for almost a year now.

I still can't believe during the development of this car that somebody didn't notice along the way that the Tesla camera based system has issues and maybe they should fit an IR sensor as a backup.

Exactly! I’m sure Tesla still feels proud knowing how much money they saved on this small part. Unfortunately potential future Tesla buyers riding in the car will have a good laugh how a “self” driving car can’t even wipe the windshield properly.

Reactions: P100D_Me
Maybe it is "fleet speed" functionality but I was trying to say that it doesn't ever vary. Since day one, it has always gone down to 35 MPH at one part of the highway and 50 MPH at another part of the highway. So it could be "fleet speed" functionality but it doesn't match the actual speed that people would be driving at that section of the highway. Also, why would "fleet speed" only happen close to highway off-ramps?

Because it thinks you are on the ramp, not on the highway. It's wrong, but it thinks you're on the ramp so it applies the Fleet Speed setting for the ramp, not for the highway. This happens near ramps and also sometimes near access roads. Or if you drive on an urban highway -- as I do for my daily commute -- it constantly thinks you're on the local roads that are right next to and criss-crossing the highway.

I tried to do some lane changes today, but I'm having a new issue. Getting a warning that autopilot cameras unavailable, though I can still engage autopilot and see objects in the IC. But when I try to lane change it says camera view is restricted and auto lane change is not available. And IC only shows objects ahead, nothing to sides and behind. Hmm...might have to contact service.

This issue has persisted, with me getting that warning most of the time for the past week. Not sure if it's a bug or what, but I've scheduled mobile service for Monday, we'll see what they say.

This issue has persisted, with me getting that warning most of the time for the past week. Not sure if it's a bug or what, but I've scheduled mobile service for Monday, we'll see what they say.

Well, I presume they've done some remote diagnostics. They've already sent a service document indicating they are going to replace the right hand repeater. About one year ago they replaced my left hand one. Interestingly, both times it was shortly after receiving updates that made some good improvments to autopilot. I wonder if some cameras (perhaps mostly the earlier 2.0 ones like mine?) have sketchy performance and these increased capabilties are running into issues.

Ok, I experienced the GPS offset problem. This release is a complete stinker. Probably the worst in terms of total regressions in more than 4 years of Tesla ownership.

GPS position was offset by approximately 150 feet. Homelink didn't work, got on the highway, and nav keeps rerouting because it thinks I'm continually driving on side roads and offramps, and then of course the safety theater special - keeps slamming the cruise control limit down to ridiculous speeds like 30mph while cruising at 80mph on the highway. Rebooted while driving - no change. After reaching my destination did a HARD reboot - poweroff, wait 2 minutes, power on via brake pedal. Now the offset is good enough to autopilot, but it still appears to be about 50 feet off the road in one cardinal direction.

So at this point I get home and I'm fuming at this POS. I set scheduled charging for PM the next day, and it *doesn't work*. Keeps insisting scheduled charging for midnight. Toggle back and forth a few times in the UI. Now says the correct thing. Plug in - starts charging IMMEDIATELY.

WTF.

• Informative
Reactions: rnortman
Ok, I experienced the GPS offset problem. This release is a complete stinker. Probably the worst in terms of total regressions in more than 4 years of Tesla ownership.

GPS position was offset by approximately 150 feet. Homelink didn't work, got on the highway, and nav keeps rerouting because it thinks I'm continually driving on side roads and offramps, and then of course the safety theater special - keeps slamming the cruise control limit down to ridiculous speeds like 30mph while cruising at 80mph on the highway. Rebooted while driving - no change. After reaching my destination did a HARD reboot - poweroff, wait 2 minutes, power on via brake pedal. Now the offset is good enough to autopilot, but it still appears to be about 50 feet off the road in one cardinal direction.

So at this point I get home and I'm fuming at this POS. I set scheduled charging for PM the next day, and it *doesn't work*. Keeps insisting scheduled charging for midnight. Toggle back and forth a few times in the UI. Now says the correct thing. Plug in - starts charging IMMEDIATELY.

WTF.
I don't think this a regression, or a problem is related to this update at all. I've seen it a few times before, in much older releases than this. Could be triggered by a GPS module restart or something during update.

• Helpful
Reactions: alexdav

WTF.

So the robotaxis will be set back by a few weeks?