Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.40.50.1 - Car is mostly deaf to voice commands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I got the upgrade to 2019.40.50.1 yesterday. I was quite interested to try the new voice commands and the first thing I tried "open the glovebox" worked a treat! However, I now find that 9 out of 10 times I try to use it, it just sits there deaf to whatever I say. I get no attempt to process my speech - it just sits there telling me to say something. Same with the voice keyboard. The mic works fine for voice calls. Anyone else having similar problems?

I got the upgrade to 2019.40.50.1 yesterday. I was quite interested to try the new voice commands and the first thing I tried "open the glovebox" worked a treat! However, I now find that 9 out of 10 times I try to use it, it just sits there deaf to whatever I say. I get no attempt to process my speech - it just sits there telling me to say something. Same with the voice keyboard. The mic works fine for voice calls. Anyone else having similar problems?

Yep mine is exactly the same .. "open the glovebox" is the only thing that ive been able to get to work.. most of the time it doesnt hear anything that i say..
When it does hear nothing else seems to work "show the rear camera" just says command not found

Same here ... received the update during the night for a Christmas present ... delighted with first try out of voice commands but then it just went stupid and couldn't understand! Anyway, not a day for experimenting ... merry Christmas!

Reactions: Rooster6655
Have to say. Tesla incredibly brave (or stupid). Not many companies would release a major critical update on a bank holiday to all of their customers. Limited/no support if starts bricking devices etc...

Perhaps your new here, there is no support any day of the year, I’m still waiting weeks for a response from support issues.

Much more important that it looks like they are doing things so they can claim deferred revenue and You tubers can post OTT videos.

I’ll try to phone Elon once I get the update in the car but I don’t have much hope of it’s response.

• Funny
Reactions: tess19
Well known problem. Seems the Mothership computer is overloaded with voice recognition. It is an intermittent problem, depending on number of people trying to talk and be recognized. Some say that if you wait a minute or two you will get recognition! Should get fixed within a week. As we didn't have it (text) previously, a one week or less wait shouldn't be a problem.
Merry Christmas to all.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Well known problem. Seems the Mothership computer is overloaded with voice recognition. It is an intermittent problem, depending on number of people trying to talk and be recognized. Some say that if you wait a minute or two you will get recognition! Should get fixed within a week. As we didn't have it (text) previously, a one week or less wait shouldn't be a problem.
Merry Christmas to all.
So the voice recognition is being processed centrally? Wow!

yep same here on HW3 - mostly deaf. Full reboot did nothing - must be something on their end I'm guessing (does it connect to a server to do voice commands - if so maybe they need to throw more resources at it and spin up a couple more dozen servers - the natural voice recogntion must have overwhelmed the servers??)

I'm guessing it sends it to the cloud as previously my voice recog won't work if poor signal.