Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 deliveries get free AP/FSD upgrade, 2018 deliveries get nothing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly think tesla workers are just confused. I think you will only get the FSD features you paid for that are part of EAP.

Why would they just start handing out FSD? Makes no sense!

Why would 2018 people get nothing and 2019 people get refunds etc? I don't see what this is compensating for? Early buyers of Performance cars were able to trade in Free Supercharging for $5k, but they had to give something up.
That seems likely. You get to keep the FSD features that were formerly part of EAP if you bought EAP. I sure as heck don't expect lose Nav on autopilot etc.

Thanks that will clear any confusion.

Btw, can't locate the tweet, do you have the Link to the tweet?
Oh, I doubt that. ;)

The phone reps also explicitly told me that 2019 deliveries that occurred before yesterday will be getting free AP (if they bought no tech) or free FSD (if they bought EAP). He was a real dick about it too, lecturing me about how the car is like a laptop that goes down in price - though he had no answer for me when I said that my credit card covers declines in prices within 90 days of purchase if I had bought that laptop, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: dragonxt and niray9
Just confirmed with Tesla support that if you took delivery of your 3 in 2019, you will be getting a free AP or FSD upgrade, depending on what you currently have. 2018 deliveries get nothing.

I’m going to stop making bets when it pertains to Tesla, but I see essentially zero chance this is true.

The “free upgrade” has always been “if you bought FSD, you’ll get the FSD computer when it’s available”. I see zero reason why that would change now.

Reactions: Matt L
That seems likely. You get to keep the FSD features that were formerly part of EAP if you bought EAP. I sure as heck don't expect lose Nav on autopilot etc.

Oh, I doubt that. ;)
Haha, I have to agree on your take of a tweet clarifying anything.

It is possible that EAP purchasers will get free AP3 hardware though. Maybe they couldn't get the Original feature set to work without the new hardware, which is why they are now bundling it with FSD.

It would also explain the need to offer the FSD upgrade to EAP purchasers for less money (shows 3k for me), since they would have to upgrade your hardware already either way.

That's my conspiracy theory :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nocturnal
You just wait until what we are giving away for Tesla owner who takes delivery in 2020.

Oh wait, 2021 will be another extraordinary year that we can afford a couple of surprises for those taking delivery then.

I get that you're bummed, but they don't owe you, and you don't owe them. There is no bait and switch here. You and I agree to the price we paid at the time we make the purchase.

You felt cheated, I know. Just go put your foot on the accelerator pedal hard the next time you get into your car. Put that smile back on your face. Carry on. :cool:

I took delivery in December 2018. I don't feel cheated as the rebate I received before the deadline more than compensates for the reduction in price. However if Tesla decides to offer some EAP/FSD compensation for early customers then I won't shy away.

Feel how you want to feel, but the math is wrong - the rebate does not cover the price decrease.

Imo these changes are similar to what every manufacturer does for new model years.

IE: A 2018 Model year car is released with optional equipment. 2019 Model Year, the optional equipment becomes standard. You don't go back to the dealer/manufacturer demanding a refund or the equipment installed for your 2018 model

It would be awesome to get free AP since I did not buy EAP though. Here's to hoping!

Reactions: StealthP3D
I think Tesla tries to do the right thing - and much more and at more expense than any other similar company, auto or otherwise.

The problem is it’s a slippery slope, people want more and more without appreciating what they’ve been given (over and above the “contractual” sale). They have to draw a line somewhere - somebody has to be SOL while somebody else gets taken care of.

I understand people feel screwed, but let’s be clear that the “screwed” we’re feeling is related to our own decisions/regret for not waiting and not Tesla doing something dishonest, deceptive, or negligent.

• Love
Reactions: rickjames
Take it with a grain of salt, but I reached out to my owner adviser today and he said the following would apply:

"Full Self Driving now includes navigate on autopilot on highways, advanced summon and autopark. If you got autopilot before this change you get to keep autopilot with these items that are now classfied under the FSD package.

If you did not order autopilot you will get the new autopilot package for free."

I purchased on 12/31 LR AWD w/o EAP.

• Informative
Reactions: Amendale and niray9
Take it with a grain of salt, but I reached out to my owner adviser today and he said the following would apply:

"Full Self Driving now includes navigate on autopilot on highways, advanced summon and autopark. If you got autopilot before this change you get to keep autopilot with these items that are now classfied under the FSD package.

If you did not order autopilot you will get the new autopilot package for free."

Just LOL if this is true. If you didn't purchase EAP then you get it free, if you did then you get the basically useless NoA and summon.

So, no date restrictions on the above?